Smellermakers Lose again

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Like how do you mess that recruitment up lol? His mom starred there and was on staff at the time and the kid literally grew up at ND. 

Have you seen Wesley play much? If so, how does he compare/contrast to Ivey in your opinion?

The irony is kind of funny. How did Bruce Weber mess up the Robbie Hummel recruitment is what I would ask? His Dad grew up in Champaign, graduated from Illinois, played sports there....his grandfather was a professor and on Illinois athletics board. Had 2 uncles and an aunt who graduated from there. It's always funny I guess how certain layup recruits end up falling on the laps of others.

8 minutes ago, rico said:

I see him all the time on local TV, especially his show...I don't get that feeling at all.

Maybe it's the fact the guy is too lazy to shave lol. No honestly I've heard him be so negative about his coaching effort (critical of himself) the last couple years I guess I wondered. He is a great coach I think. Maybe he goes back to Duke after Coach K steps down. Honestly he is the most accomplished probably to step in but I see them going younger like Capel.

9 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Maybe it's the fact the guy is too lazy to shave lol. No honestly I've heard him be so negative about his coaching effort (critical of himself) the last couple years I guess I wondered. He is a great coach I think. Maybe he goes back to Duke after Coach K steps down. Honestly he is the most accomplished probably to step in but I see them going younger like Capel.

I think he would go to Duke in an emergency situation.  But K has other guys out there and Brey has made his own niche at ND.

22 minutes ago, rico said:

I think he would go to Duke in an emergency situation.  But K has other guys out there and Brey has made his own niche at ND.

I think he likes it at ND...and the pressure isn't nearly as intense as some schools but as far as accomplishments he is by far the most accomplished and done the best on his own. Brey at Duke would be a National Title contender still and maybe that is the one thing left for him to accomplish. But again I'm sure Dawkins or Capel etc are probably top of the board...but Brey has proven himself with back to back final 4 runs at a school it isn't exactly easy to recruit to and in a conference hard to win in.

39 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

The irony is kind of funny. How did Bruce Weber mess up the Robbie Hummel recruitment is what I would ask? His Dad grew up in Champaign, graduated from Illinois, played sports there....his grandfather was a professor and on Illinois athletics board. Had 2 uncles and an aunt who graduated from there. It's always funny I guess how certain layup recruits end up falling on the laps of others.

That’s a fair point. I know Weber prioritized Bill Cole over Hummel which proved to be a huge mistake. 

At least Hummel didn’t grow up in Champaign haha. Ivey was literally in ND’s backyard. 

Biggest miss by Illinois was Brian Cardinal. His dad was their team doctor and they didn’t even offer him lol. 

24 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

That’s a fair point. I know Weber prioritized Bill Cole over Hummel which proved to be a huge mistake. 

At least Hummel didn’t grow up in Champaign haha. Ivey was literally in ND’s backyard. 

Biggest miss by Illinois was Brian Cardinal. His dad was their team doctor and they didn’t even offer him lol. 

Biggest IU miss was Brian Cardinal.  Thanks Ron Felling

21 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am surprise RMK would let anyone talk him out of something he wanted.

The very reason that many say the game passed him by. Its not the game passed him by its he trusted his assistant coaches to do work he no longer enjoyed. Ron called some buddies to get their take on Cardinal and decided to hits the night life instead of watching him again

26 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Really ? !!!  Cardinal was the guy on the other team you loved to hate....'cause he was so good.  I never knew that. 

After every game against PU knight would hug Cardinal and tell him hes one of the toughest SOB's he had ever seen. Coach Ellenberger told me Knight always said that missing Cardinal was one of the biggest misses in his career

3 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

The very reason that many say the game passed him by. Its not the game passed him by its he trusted his assistant coaches to do work he no longer enjoyed. Ron called some buddies to get their take on Cardinal and decided to hits the night life instead of watching him again

Ron Felling is known for making calls...don’t have much respect for him

54 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

And add Jon Scheyer and LewJack and a few others. Bubbles is a decent coach at times but boy he missed guy after guy....and the ones he went all in on essentially ended his stay.

23 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Well. There was a time when Knight turned over recruiting to Dakich, and would go fishing instead.

I might not have all the details right but the just of the story is right. Dan either just got back or was leaving for a recruiting trip and Knight called him and said to go right now to Greene county and find his coon dog that didnt come back.

Wonder if that was in his contract or in job description 

48 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If DD stories are accurate RMK totally blew the recruitments of Jaque Vaughn and Ref Lafrentz

Heard the same thing and its because Vaughn had  a Michigan visit coming up and Knight basically said if you take that visit the offer is gone. Lafrentz was ready to committ in Bloomington and Knight did not show up and he and his family felt really disrespected 

14 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Heard the same thing and its because Vaughn had  a Michigan visit coming up and Knight basically said if you take that visit the offer is gone. Lafrentz was ready to committ in Bloomington and Knight did not show up and he and his family felt really disrespected 

That was his story but with Lafrentz RMK got back to AH about midnight and wanted to talk with the family then but it was to late.

Archived