NET rankings

Thought we could use a topic to keep track of it, and more specifically where we're at it in and discuss. Keeps coming up in other thread and lost when those threads die.

http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2020/net-nitty

IU at 59. Finished last year at 54, so that's a bit concerning for our NCAA tournament hopes, even if the NCAA supposedly doesn't use NET to determine who's in/out only how to seed after they've made their selections.

Seems really flawed when comparing IU and Turdue.

image.png.68dd679186f7b2a02121c469ce72c66f.png

image.png.d006dcb07b36a3644b0a269869d2e1a7.png

image.png.9ebc37f97eaee32e7b176758b2ca8853.png

http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2020/team-net-sheet?team=Indiana

http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2020/team-net-sheet?team=Purdue

IU has better record, SOS, NC rec, home rec, neutral, Q1, Q3, Q4, and Avg Net Ls. Turdue has better NC SOS (negated by overall SOS for IU being better I would think), minimal road rec (one more win, two more losses, .02% better road winning %, and Q2 (same wins, one less loss). Teams tie on Avg Net Ws.

Turdue has their share of double digit losses (OSU, Marquette, ILx2, PSU, and a terrible one to NE), so their big wins vs. MSU, IA, WI and us must be so powerful to give them 27 spots on us. Crazy.

RPI has us at 49 and them at 81.

I didn't choose them for comparison b/c of our rivalry (actually the fact they beat us at home weakens the comparison), I chose them b/c they were the highest NET ranked WTF to me. Bama, Providence, and MN being above us is also perplexing.

What say you HSN?

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The NET is a joke. I'm sorry, it just is. It is patently flawed. There are multiple such examples. 

End of the day though, it really shouldn't matter. If we win 3 of our next reg season games are are absolutely in the NCAA tourney (and probably in the area of a 7 seed). Hell, if we win 2 of our next 5 we're 'probably' in, though I don't want to be at 19 W's before the B1G tourney, wondering. 

Purdue and Minnesota pretty much set a precedent that this ranking either needs to be overhauled or done away with.

There's no excuse to have a 12-13 team multiple spots ahead of a 17-9 team the day after they get beat by 12 at home.

As far as I'm concerned, the net is all but useless since it cannot accurately project reality.

Well Purdue does have the win at AH, but overall, the NET is a mess. After the game last night, Andy Katz commented that the NET isn't to a place where the selection committee can use an arbitrary NET number as a cut off for at-large teams.

The really bizarre one to me is Texas Tech at 21. They have the same overall record as IU and every other metric is worse, except 2-5 on road vs 2-6. But they're 2-2 on neutral courts. 2-8 in Quad 1 games. 7-9 combined Quad 1 & 2, same as IU, but 38 spots ahead?

NET   Team   Record SOS NC
Rec
NC
SOS
Home Road Neutral Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Avg
NET Ws
Avg
NET Ls
  •  
Texas Tech
Big 12 (8-5)
Team Sheet 17-9 78 9-4 172 13-2 2-5 2-2 2-8 5-1 2-0 8-0 161 35

I would love for a talking head, any talking head, to do his/her job and publicly call out the obvious.  The IU / Texas Tech comparison is proof as to how bat the ratings suck.  Yet, you have idiots like Lunardi who are falling for it hook, line, and sinker when they release their projections.  He is either too lazy or too stupid to analyze the data given to him.

And, before we say Lunardi does not matter.  He does.  He creates a public perception that is hard to shake.

At first when all of this bracketology stuff started it was real fun to maybe look ahead and see where your team was at that time.  You really only had one person doing it and it did not usually start until about this time of year.  Like all good things people decided to oversaturate it and now everyone is doing it and they start the firs week of the year or actually right after the previous season ends.  It is still alright but sometimes it just seems like it is a little over kill and just gets exhausting.  One thing about selection Sunday was the anticipation of who will or won't get into the tournament and now that is pretty much taken away.  I guess for me it is like knowing everything you are going to open up Christmas  morning as a kid before Christmas.

I also which they would cut down on all of this different computer rankings picking who is and aren't the best teams and let people who know the game tell us who is the best.

I remember when I was younger I would do my own bracketology but it was not very scientific.  Back then on Mondays the newspapers would have the standing of all the conferences so I would get the paper and use that.  It was fun and actually took some time to do it and I would get most of the teams right but maybe off on the seeding's.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I remember when I was younger I would do my own bracketology but it was not very scientific.  Back then on Mondays the newspapers would have the standing of all the conferences so I would get the paper and use that.  It was fun and actually took some time to do it and I would get most of the teams right but maybe off on the seeding's.

Consider this as my personal gift to you. Bookmark it. Update it. And get back with us before the NCAAT starts.

2019-20 College Basketball Standings

42 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I still do it.  I started doing "bracketology" in 1987 when I was in the third grade.  At that point it just consisted of writing down they only 64 college basketball teams I could think of.  The paper my dad got had the standings on Tuesdays.  I'd cut it out and keep it all week.  These days, all the info you could want is at your fingertips with the internet.   To this day I still mute the TV when they start talking about what their bracketologist says because I don't want it to impact my thinking.  

Just now, Parakeet Jones said:

I still do it.  I started doing "bracketology" in 1987 when I was in the third grade.  At that point it just consisted of writing down they only 64 college basketball teams I could think of.  The paper my dad got had the standings on Tuesdays.  I'd cut it out and keep it all week.  These days, all the info you could want is at your fingertips with the internet.   To this day I still mute the TV when they start talking about what their bracketologist says because I don't want it to impact my thinking.  

Where is IU currently at in your bracket?

3 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Due to the annoyances called adulthood and responsibility, I haven't had as much time to devote to it as I'd like.  I'm way behind but I'd venture to say we're in that 10-11 range as of now.  

When I use to do my own brackets it was when I was in college and I just commuted.  I usually only had classes 3 days a week so I had some free time on the other days so I would spend a few hours on it.

My hope is we finish strong enough to obviously make the tournament but if we get to that 6 line...who knows...you stay away from the 1 and 2 seed teams...I feel you have a really decent shot this year at making the S16. Everyone past the top two seeds seem to have pretty apparent flaws in their teams this year and I could easily see winning a couple games and moving on. Many years I would say that would be a long shot if you are outside the top 4-5 seeds but this year the inconsistencies across the board you are going to see some major upsets I believe.

However...if we get an 8 seed and get in SD State bracket...wouldn't cry.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

My hope is we finish strong enough to obviously make the tournament but if we get to that 6 line...who knows...you stay away from the 1 and 2 seed teams...I feel you have a really decent shot this year at making the S16. Everyone past the top two seeds seem to have pretty apparent flaws in their teams this year and I could easily see winning a couple games and moving on. Many years I would say that would be a long shot if you are outside the top 4-5 seeds but this year the inconsistencies across the board you are going to see some major upsets I believe.

However...if we get an 8 seed and get in SD State bracket...wouldn't cry.

I would rather get a 10 seed over a 8 or 9 seed

I’d take a 11 v 6 and playing a 3 in the second round rather than an 8v9 and playing a 1.the difference this year between a 4-9 probably isn’t gonna be that big anyway. I would want to avoid a play in though. Just an extra game you have to win.  I think this is a year that SDSU or Gonzaga or Dayton could go really far. Heck I’m not sure how Baylor keeps going winning. I have watched them 5-6 times this year and thought they weren’t dominant. Just very solid. Who knows. Odd year. 

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Again...if you win you still avoid the 1 seed. Not going to be much difference in the first rd opponent....UNLESS you get forced to play in the play in game? Isn't that a 10 seed??

The last 5 years the play in games have been for two 11 and two 16 seeds.   Before then it varied with 11, 12, 13 and 14 but each year 2 of the seeds have been 16.

Go Hoosiers!!!

4 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

The last 5 years the play in games have been for two 11 and two 16 seeds.   Before then it varied with 11, 12, 13 and 14 but each year 2 of the seeds have been 16.

Go Hoosiers!!!

Two of the play in games are teams going for a 11 or 12 seed and the other two games are for the 16 seeds.

Archived