NET rankings

4 hours ago, 5fouls said:

But, his brackets are promoted in a very public manner.  And, the average fan, which makes up 98% of the people that are interested in March Madness, has this perception that IU is not really deserving of a NCAA bid, while a team with a far worse resume (Oklahoma) or one that is about equal (Texas Tech) are viewed as solid tournament teams.  When a casual fan asks me at the office, or another public setting, about IU's tournament chances, and I explain this to them, their eyes glaze over.  They think it's all IU bias on my part, because how can an 'expert' like Lunardi be wrong.

He needs to do his job or ESPN needs to find someone that will.  

I don't think ESPN particularly cares that he's one of the weaker forecasters out there.

He's energetic, and he was one of the first to do it publicly, and he's well-known, so the general public will take a look at what he publishes. 

It's the same reason they kept giving Darren Rovell so much money.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, 5fouls said:

But, his brackets are promoted in a very public manner.  And, the average fan, which makes up 98% of the people that are interested in March Madness, has this perception that IU is not really deserving of a NCAA bid, while a team with a far worse resume (Oklahoma) or one that is about equal (Texas Tech) are viewed as solid tournament teams.  When a casual fan asks me at the office, or another public setting, about IU's tournament chances, and I explain this to them, their eyes glaze over.  They think it's all IU bias on my part, because how can an 'expert' like Lunardi be wrong.

He needs to do his job or ESPN needs to find someone that will.  

This and this and this all day long. The second I start backing it up with real numbers people think I'm IU biased and just massaging the numbers for our case which is the total opposite of what numbers do.

Much like some of our IU brethren who have huge followers or whatever....the platform creates a "well they must be right" mentality. Couldn't be further from the truth.

Liberty, with no Quad 1 wins, but a sterling 19-1 Quad 4 record against the nation's 297th rated schedule is ahead of IU in the Net.  Must be those 6 road wins against the likes of NJIT, Jacksonville, and  North Alabama.  IU could never beat those teams on the road. :coffee:

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Liberty, with no Quad 1 wins, but a sterling 19-1 Quad 4 record against the nation's 297th rated schedule is ahead of IU in the Net.  Must be those 6 road wins against the likes of NJIT, Jacksonville, and  North Alabama.  IU could never beat those teams on the road. :coffee:

Minnesota is above us in the NET at 54

19 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Isn’t the quad one status determined as of the time you play somebody?

No.  If Penn State drops below the 30 line, it will become a Quad 2 win for IU.  But, if Penn State gets hot, wins a couple, and moves back into the Top 30, it becomes a Quad 1 again.

17 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

It is constantly updating and fluctuating.   For instance.   Notre dame was 52 and now 59.  Minnesota is no longer a quad one win either dropping to 51.  

Quad 1 wins on the road is when the team is top 75 NET. 

Minnesota is still a Quad 1 win.

Neutral is top 50 NET. Notre Dame has never been a Quad 1 win.

12 minutes ago, JugRox said:

Quad 1 wins on the road is when the team is top 75 NET. 

Minnesota is still a Quad 1 win.

Neutral is top 50 NET. Notre Dame has never been a Quad 1 win.

You are correct.  I was looking at that upcoming Minnesota game at home in the q2 column.  My bad.  

I was thinking if nd went to 49 that would become a q1 neutral top 50.  

So, IU jumps from 58 to 52 after beating Penn State.  Meanwhile, Minnesota jumps from 51 to 42 after beating Northwestern.  Sure, Minnesota was a road win, but it's Northwestern.  It's like the NET only cares it's a road win, and does not care who it is against.  Maybe IU should schedule a road game against Incarnate Word next season.  

The stupidity in all of this is IU beat Minnesota ON THE ROAD last week, but actually lost ground to them in the NET.  How in the world does that happen?  

23 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Jerry Palm has IU as a 9 seed, playing 8th seeded Texas Tech, opposite San Diego State as the 1 seed. 

Does San Diego State still get a 1 seed after losing?

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/bracketology/

A lot of people forget that the Aztecs won at BYU, beat Iowa by 10, and smoked Creighton by 31.  I would say they are still deserving of a #1 and this stage.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

So, IU jumps from 58 to 52 after beating Penn State.  Meanwhile, Minnesota jumps from 51 to 42 after beating Northwestern.  Sure, Minnesota was a road win, but it's Northwestern.  It's like the NET only cares it's a road win, and does not care who it is against.  Maybe IU should schedule a road game against Incarnate Word next season.  

The stupidity in all of this is IU beat Minnesota ON THE ROAD last week, but actually lost ground to them in the NET.  How in the world does that happen?  

I dont disagree with your point.  NET is a cumulative numbers based ranking system.  The efficiency numbers are dragging down our ranking.  IU may be very close to skyrocketing up the rankings.  Fractions of a point separate 10-15 spots in the area we are ranked.  Blowout Purdue on the road and we will shoot up.

13 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

It is constantly updating and fluctuating.   For instance.   Notre dame was 52 and now 59.  Minnesota is no longer a quad one win either dropping to 51.  

I’d agree in the sense that the first ten games or so, the ranking can be somewhat arbitrary.  But once a certain number of games are in, the quality of play of any particular team may fluctuate.  Teams get on a roll, or nosedive at the precise moment you play them.  Guys get banged up, they get healthy later.  After you play them, it can be like a different team.  Some coaches will say, it’s not who you play but when you play them.  

If the NCAA is determined to overthink and overweight minutiae this seems like a pretty big flaw.  

Fortunately Penn St only dropped from 24 to 25 with the loss yesterday, so it is still solidly a Quad 1 win for the Hoosiers.

IU now 6-7 Quad 1. Only team outside the NET top 30 with 6 or more Q1 wins. Only other teams with 6 or more: Kansas, Baylor, Creighton, Maryland, Villanova, Seton Hall, Colorado, Oregon, KY, Michigan, Butler, Penn St, Iowa, WI.

Here are some notable Quad 1 comparisons:

13 MSU 5-8

16 Tx Tech 3-8

19 OSU 5-8

26 Marquette 5-8

30 LSU 4-6

31 Stanford 2-5

33 Florida 4-7

34 Rutgers 3-8

35 Illinois 5-7

36 Purdue 4-11

37 Rhode Island 1-4