NET rankings

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Indy1987 said:

Minnesota loses at home only drops one spot to 45.   Guess it helped that it was close and MD is top 10 but still...

At this point in the season there's just very little movement in that thing.   

We did move up one spot to #52.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

This Net thing is ridiculous where you can have a 13-14 team ahead of a 18-9 team and that team beat the 13-14 team on their home court.

16 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

This Net thing is ridiculous where you can have a 13-14 team ahead of a 18-9 team and that team beat the 13-14 team on their home court.

The NET is clearly flawed in this instance.   Let's hope the committee realizes this is a fluke.   If you look at the link that was shared yesterday comparing rankings the NET is not all that out of wack compared to others.  It just screws us which sucks.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

14 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

The NET is clearly flawed in this instance.   Let's hope the committee realizes this is a fluke.   If you look at the link that was shared yesterday comparing rankings the NET is not all that out of wack compared to others.  It just screws us which sucks.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

this is why I hate using metrics as a determining factor in selecting for the  tournament.  I wish the NCAA would hire 12 people and their sole job is to watch basketball games the whole year and they are the people that are on the selection committee.  Right now they have AD's and other people on the committee who does not have the time to watch games all the time.  I would get former coaches, AD's and just people with a lot of basketball experience for this job.  The metrics just can't take the intangibles in the game and tell you who is actually the better team.

26 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

this is why I hate using metrics as a determining factor in selecting for the  tournament.  I wish the NCAA would hire 12 people and their sole job is to watch basketball games the whole year and they are the people that are on the selection committee.  Right now they have AD's and other people on the committee who does not have the time to watch games all the time.  I would get former coaches, AD's and just people with a lot of basketball experience for this job.  The metrics just can't take the intangibles in the game and tell you who is actually the better team.

Just get a bunch of dads who are waiting to get their vasectomies during March madness to make up the committee😂

14 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

What was wrong with the old system when the committee looked at record and strength of schedule?  There were disagreements—which there would always be short of Jesus raising his hand and decreeing a bracket—but nothing to the extent of what this ridiculous system has produced.  

Rule of thumb, if the NCAA came up with it, it will be a mess, inconsistent, arbitrary, incongruous, etc.  The NET came from the NCAA.   It looks like they did a poor job running the numbers as they overweight road wins, even against lower comp, margin of victory, etc.  It is a mess.  I have worked on similar things.  We put together a calculation on bonus programs.  We ran a bunch of hypotheticals and it helped us iron out anomalies and gave us insight into tweaks.  I’m a science guy so I understand rigorous protocol, math, etc.   It’s pretty obvious that the NCAA wildly failed in these aspects.  

The "system" hasn't changed, the process is still the same. NET just replaced RPI, but the committee still looks at the resume via team sheets.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Where do I send me resume? 

20 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Have you been a former coach or AD at the D1 level?

Not exactly. But my sense is common, vision is good and beer is cold.

The current NET is like an itemized receipt. Just because it’s officially printed in black and white doesn’t mean your not getting hosed. :coffee:

The loss dropped us 4 spots to #56.   We lose at Illinois and we probably fall out of the top 60.  Winning two home games won't move us up much.  I hope that NET score isn't the deciding factor between us and the other bubble teams.   Itll be difficult to move any higher than where we are at this point.

Go Hoosiers!!!

1 hour ago, Indy1987 said:

The loss dropped us 4 spots to #56.   We lose at Illinois and we probably fall out of the top 60.  Winning two home games won't move us up much.  I hope that NET score isn't the deciding factor between us and the other bubble teams.   Itll be difficult to move any higher than where we are at this point.

Go Hoosiers!!!

Win the BTT?????

3 hours ago, Indy1987 said:

Go Hoosiers!!!

I figured a loss to almighty Turdue would have moved us up to the top 25. A win would have gotten us in the top 10.

7 hours ago, Indy1987 said:

Go Hoosiers!!!

I don't buy that we are on the bubble.  If we win both home games, we definitely aren't.

If we lose out, THEN I think we'd be on the bubble, but I really don't see that happening.  Even just one more win locks us into the tournament.

Our team sheet is going to look pretty good comparatively.  Our net is an outlier because we got blown out a couple times on the road.  Otherwise, we'd be in the thirties like we are on most other stats.

Here is a realistic scenario I could see happening for our remaining games:

We lose at Illinois this weekend. Nothing extraordinary, just another run of the mill Big Ten road loss where we score in the 50's. 

We beat Minnesota at home, but do it unimpressively. 

We lose at home to Wisconsin, because we beat them about as often as we beat Purdue anymore. 

We go one and done in the BTT like we do every year, and suddenly we're sitting at 19-13 with a NET ranking in the 60's, and a handful of stat geeks projecting we're out of the tournament. 

NET rankings are trash. Bring back RPI. 

13 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Here is a realistic scenario I could see happening for our remaining games:

We lose at Illinois this weekend. Nothing extraordinary, just another run of the mill Big Ten road loss where we score in the 50's. 

We beat Minnesota at home, but do it unimpressively. 

We lose at home to Wisconsin, because we beat them about as often as we beat Purdue anymore. 

We go one and done in the BTT like we do every year, and suddenly we're sitting at 19-13 with a NET ranking in the 60's, and a handful of stat geeks projecting we're out of the tournament. 

NET rankings are trash. Bring back RPI. 

I feel like the best path would be to have a composite ranking that the committee uses:  Just take KenPom, RPI, Sagarin, BPI, and NET, average them out, and then use that for the ranking.  Probably the best way to it.

Each ranking has it's own weakness.  Averaging them all out would probably get you as close to reality as possible.

Archived