NET rankings

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, 13th&Jackson said:

UCLA:  first in Pac 12 at 12-5. 19-11 overall. Has won 7 straight. NET 76

Arizona: 6th in Pac 12 at 9-7. 19-10 overall. Has lost 3 straight. Lost twice to UCLA. NET 10

The NET is like Dungeons and Dragons.  They roll a dice for each team each time and that determines how they move up or down.  Its all about magic.  No real life metrics behind it

25 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

The NET is like Dungeons and Dragons.  They roll a dice for each team each time and that determines how they move up or down.  Its all about magic.  No real life metrics behind it

So, Mississippi Valley State on the 3 line. We good here?

Screenshot_20200305-102533_Gallery.jpg

55 minutes ago, CincyHoosier said:

We need a win away from home against a top 25 team for our NET ranking to move significantly.  

Does not seem to matter for other teams.  Look at Texas Tech's resume.  It's easy to say IU has not done this or IU has not done that.  But, when the same thing can be said about other teams that are 20-30 spots higher in the NET, then the only explanation is that the metric has problems.  You can put lipstick on a pig.....

49 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

UCLA:  first in Pac 12 at 12-5. 19-11 overall. Has won 7 straight. NET 76

Arizona: 6th in Pac 12 at 9-7. 19-10 overall. Has lost 3 straight. Lost twice to UCLA. NET 10

Hopefully, the committee is reading this thread.  

28 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Hopefully, the committee is reading this thread.  

Starting to get some media attention:

The NCAA Evaluation Tool Ranking (NET)

Then: Don't worry, the NET will soon make sense.

Now: Some weird things are still happening with the NET.

Our take: Listen, the NET is a good thing. It's a more accurate barometer of the college basketball landscape than the RPI. It gives teams more credit for winning tough games outside their home floors. Overall, it has helped college basketball. With a large sample size at this point in the season, significant movement for any team is rare. But that doesn't mean everything that happens with the rankings is perfect. On Saturday, Arizona lost to UCLA 69-64 and still moved up a spot, from 11th to 10th, in the NET rankings. Arizona has lost three consecutive games, yet it's still ranked ahead of Seton Hall (12th) and Kentucky (14th). Wisconsin's two-point win over Minnesota on Sunday was the team's sixth consecutive win. The NET rankings rewarded the Badgers by dropping them three spots in their rankings (from 27th to 30th). We just think that's interesting.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28824331/what-changed-college-basketball-month

53 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Does not seem to matter for other teams.  Look at Texas Tech's resume.  It's easy to say IU has not done this or IU has not done that.  But, when the same thing can be said about other teams that are 20-30 spots higher in the NET, then the only explanation is that the metric has problems.  You can put lipstick on a pig.....

I'm not disagreeing but at this point I firmly believe this is the only thing that will move our NET ranking.  So until we do it I'm not losing sleep over it.

2 hours ago, CincyHoosier said:

And after we beat Wisconsin at home this thread will be humming again because we likely don't budge much.  A couple neutral court wins in the BTT against the top half of the Big Ten would do the trick.

You have more faith in this team winning away from AH than i do.  And with our history with the BTT, i see us bowing out again in the first game.  Sitting square on the bubble and hoping the NET doesn't screw us

20 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

You have more faith in this team winning away from AH than i do.  And with our history with the BTT, i see us bowing out again in the first game.  Sitting square on the bubble and hoping the NET doesn't screw us

I don't see us losing to Nebraska in our first game let alone being blown out.

17 hours ago, madmax said:

Multiple quad 1 wins... and a ton of blowout road losses. Regardless, Dayton is legit. Don’t know much about Nova or Seton Hall this year, but Dayton is a final four contender in my book. Toppin is amazing.

That’s life in the best conference the NCAA has to offer!  I guess we could play Dayton’s schedule & look like World Beaters too but we’re bigger than that.  How exhausting is it to play game in game out, on the road or at home in a league where they let you play w/o a lot of whistles.  You better put on your big boy superhero undies if your gonna play a 20 game schedule in this league man.  Can you say that for Dayton?  How would Dayton look in this Big Boy Big10?  Time will tell I guess but Go Hoosiers 

3 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

That’s life in the best conference the NCAA has to offer!  I guess we could play Dayton’s schedule & look like World Beaters too but we’re bigger than that.  How exhausting is it to play game in game out, on the road or at home in a league where they let you play w/o a lot of whistles.  You better put on your big boy superhero undies if your gonna play a 20 game schedule in this league man.  Can you say that for Dayton?  How would Dayton look in this Big Boy Big10?  Time will tell I guess but Go Hoosiers 

Yeah I’m not sold on Dayton either.  When you play in a 1 bid conference it really isn’t testing you like others are being tested.  That’s not to take anything away from them but I’m not sure they are deserving of the hype.  They are Gonzaga from years ago before Few started scheduling a tougher OOC schedule to prove his teams stature amongst the elite.

5 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Yeah I’m not sold on Dayton either.  When you play in a 1 bid conference it really isn’t testing you like others are being tested.  That’s not to take anything away from them but I’m not sure they are deserving of the hype.  They are Gonzaga from years ago before Few started scheduling a tougher OOC schedule to prove his teams stature amongst the elite.

Exactly, a 20 game schedule vs Goliath hurts your confidence, will power, health & just wears you down mentally unlike cupcakes!  That’s why these Cinderella’s are so much fresher come March but I guess if you can’t pee with the big dogs keep your buttocks on the porch.

UConn beating Houston last night must have given us a boost.  We jumped 2 spots to #52.   Of course Minnesota jumped 2 as well(now 45). Smh

Wisconsin moved up 1 spot to #26.  A win against them Saturday and we might break the top 50(although UConn only moved up 2 spots beating #19 Houston so IDK).

Go Hoosiers!!!

36 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

24-6 Kentucky finally edged one spot ahead of 18-12 Texas Tech.  UK had been behind Texas Tech in the NET virtually all season despite winning at Texas Tech in January.  

Stanford lost at Oregon St. and fell 2 spots to #27...The Cardinal non-con is pretty similar to ours, maybe a tad tougher, but their only big win ooc was on a neutral floor over Oklahoma.  They are at 9-8 in the PAC-12 and are 2-2 against Top 25 teams.  They have to losses to the Beavers and another loss to Utah.  

11 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

Great example of the talent drain on college basketball over the past few decades leveling the playing field. Dayton would be a 10-12 seed Cinderella type in the upcoming tournament, but in today's game they are a top seed.

10 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Great example of the talent drain on college basketball over the past few decades leveling the playing field. Dayton would be a 10-12 seed Cinderella type in the upcoming tournament, but in today's game they are a top seed.

Dayton is just a "victim" of circumstances this year.  Now we shall see how they stack up against the "big boys" come tournament time.

Archived