OTHER coaches on the "hot seat"

rico

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Yes to all the above.  I think Clemson is a little like Iowa, it’s a dead end job and nobody should take it if they want a future in coaching.  

That is why I always think that these mid major coaches need to watch what jobs they take when trying to move up a level.  Places like Clemson and Minnesota are jobs I don't see where eyou have much of a chance to really compete at a high level.

Prior to North Carolina's current six game losing streak, after a previous poor performance, Roy Williams said the school should fire him.  Now. I know that won't happen. However, perhaps Coach Williams should take a page out of Coach Knight's book, when after his team under preformed per his standards, one year....Coach Knight offered to give his salary for that year back to IU. 

4 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

John Beilein could be headed to Texas if they make a move on Shaka

There's a reason why Beilein took a lesser job with the Cavs.  He got tired of all that is college BB.  Strange things happen. And money talks. However, currently, I don't see Beilein returning to the college game.

8 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Prior to North Carolina's current six game losing streak, after a previous poor performance, Roy Williams said the school should fire him.  Now. I know that won't happen. However, perhaps Coach Williams should take a page out of Coach Knight's book, when after his team under preformed per his standards, one year....Coach Knight offered to give his salary for that year back to IU. 

Was that at IU or TT?

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

That is why I always think that these mid major coaches need to watch what jobs they take when trying to move up a level.  Places like Clemson and Minnesota are jobs I don't see where eyou have much of a chance to really compete at a high level.

But they PAY. You cash out and then what is the worst thing that happens...you go back to mid major? If you are at a mid major that isn't especially easy to continue to build success or pay you why not get that paycheck. There are some very good mid major programs I wouldn't leave but I'd say more often than not...it's about the money...and heck...at Clemson you finish 6-7th in your conference...more often than not you make the NCAA...instead of having to win your conference tournament even if you win the regular season at some of these places.

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

He got them to their only NCAA appearance. Can they really do better?

Agreed...he has had some very competitive teams past several years...kinda unlucky that this year with all the leagues down so much and a good chance 8-10 B1G teams make it he doesn't have one of those more competitive teams.

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I think Brownell saved his job with wins over Duke and LVille this year. The rest are probably gone. Ricky looked resigned to his fate last night.

They have a shot at the tournament honestly if they were to finish strong. Hard to fire a guy at Clemson when he beats Duke, UNC, and UL in the same year.

Clemson is exactly like a SEC school.  Plenty of football money, not much of a basketball tradition if any.  But they have had fine coaches there, Rick Barnes was there for a few years.  I think Brownell is safe.  He needs to tap into the state of Indiana more than what he does.

5 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Beard is a hot name..spent 10 years with the General...his situation at tech might be better then at UT

True. He's already top 4 in salary at $4.2M per year, that will average almost $4.6M over the six year deal. He has a lot of goodwill at TX Tech. He could have a couple of down years and not be under any pressure. Texas is his alma mater, though, so that may prove too enticing.

2 hours ago, rico said:

Enough about Archie what about other programs?

Lil Ricky has to be at Minny?

Shaka at Texas?

Manning at Wake?

Brownell at Clemson?

Pastner at Georgia Tech?

Minnesota-Brian Dutcher

Texas-Chris Beard

Wake Forrest-Ryan Odom

I think Brownell is safe

Georgia Tech-Matt McMahon

Archived