OTHER coaches on the "hot seat"

rico

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, DWB said:

Self & Miller should be gone IMO. Roy's just having a bad year, after several pretty good years.

I wonder if Roy got caught up in trying to go for "elite" talent rather than "his kind" of player. Not saying he succeeded in getting them, but perhaps he deviated from his normal specs for a recruit.

I would put UNC's academic fraud as high, if not higher, than what Self and Miller are accused of.  

33 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I would put UNC's academic fraud as high, if not higher, than what Self and Miller are accused of.  

I don't remember UNC paying players. (It may have happened, I'm just not aware, or remember that being an issue)

Academic, or any kind of fraud is unacceptable. But to me, paying players trump the academic issue. I don't have any proof,  but just a strong suspicion that virtually every school "fudges" the grades of some athletes. Whether it be a "gift" of a grade to keep them eligible, or pointing them to a course, or prof that is known to be easy graders on athletes, is an issue to me. I never had a choice of profs. I got whoever taught the course I wanted/had to take. Sometimes it was a prof, sometimes it was a grad ass't. I never knew before hand. But of course, I was there before the invention of dirt.

14 minutes ago, psychobat said:

What's the story behind that?

It was long after his DUI arrest.  If memory serves me correctly, he claimed he walked into a door.  Many suspected it was another alcohol related incident.

I can't believe there were some who wanted to replace Coach Miller with Bob Huggins, considering Huggins' history :

West Virginia coach Bob Huggins won't change who he is, like it or not

23 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

It was long after his DUI arrest.  If memory serves me correctly, he claimed he walked into a door.  Many suspected it was another alcohol related incident.

I can't believe there were some who wanted to replace Coach Miller with Bob Huggins, considering Huggins' history :

While I do think he is a good coach, I agree with not wanting him ---- too much baggage.  I'm amazed at some of the coaches that certain people want.  Archie is still my coach.

38 minutes ago, psychobat said:

While I do think he is a good coach, I agree with not wanting him ---- too much baggage.  I'm amazed at some of the coaches that certain people want.  Archie is still my coach.

While Bob Huggins has done better with his graduation rate, while at West Virginia, he at times is far from perfect. At Cincinnati his graduation rate ran as low as 47% .

And that's not considering the fines he has drawn over the years.  Plus all the "questionable" players he has recruited at every school he has coached at.

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

I have only brought him up because he can coach.  He can kick off his 2 best players.  The next man up injured for the season and he still wins.  Time and time again.  Much like Bob Knight,  he has his warts but the man can coach ball.  I wouldn't want him at IU and know it would never happen but he is way underrated.

12 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I have only brought him up because he can coach.  He can kick off his 2 best players.  The next man up injured for the season and he still wins.  Time and time again.  Much like Bob Knight,  he has his warts but the man can coach ball.  I wouldn't want him at IU and know it would never happen but he is way underrated.

Oh, I agree with you. Bob Huggins is a pretty good coach. However have to consider his history and health issues into the overall equation.

2 hours ago, ChristophBart said:

What would Chris beard have at Texas that he doesn't already have at Texas tech? More pressure?

I could maybe see beard moving to a blue blood, but I would not classify Texas as a blue blood program. Maybe, a top-20 program.

Tech has nice thing going but it is mostly because of him.     Austin vs Lubbock? - where would you rather live?  Where would recruits rather go?   I expect he is happy at Tech because it is in Texas and his experience there with RMK but UT is his alma Mater.  I think the resources UT have to offer probably trump Tech. Tech has a nice arena.  UT has new one on the way in 2021/22.  Wonder if Texas would try to delay the chase another year if Shaka's team can make the tourney to lighten up all the buyouts.  

15 minutes ago, ATX_sig said:

Tech has nice thing going but it is mostly because of him.     Austin vs Lubbock? - where would you rather live?  Where would recruits rather go?   I expect he is happy at Tech because it is in Texas and his experience there with RMK but UT is his alma Mater.  I think the resources UT have to offer probably trump Tech. Tech has a nice arena.  UT has new one on the way in 2021/22.  Wonder if Texas would try to delay the chase another year if Shaka's team can make the tourney to lighten up all the buyouts.  

Texas athletics generate almost $225 million per year in revenue versus about $90M at TT.

5 minutes ago, rico said:

Knight scheduled Cincy when Huggins was there.  

There are similarities:

The Big 12 Conference has fined West Virginia coach Bob Huggins $10,000 for referring to an officiating crew as “three blind mice” after a recent loss at No. 3 Kansas.

The league announced the fine in a statement that also issued a public reprimand.

“Coach Huggins’ comments following the West Virginia vs. Kansas basketball game violate the Big 12 Conference’s sportsmanship policy,” Commissioner Bob Bowlsby said in the statement Tuesday. “Because this is Coach Huggins’ third such incident, a public reprimand and a fine of $10,000 is appropriate.”

Huggins made the comments in a postgame radio interview Saturday after the 60-53 loss in Lawrence, Kansas.

“I can’t control what those three blind mice running around out there do,” Huggins said.

6 minutes ago, rico said:

I would say Shaka's seat is cooling off and Brownell would appear to be safe at Clemson.

Shaka is a perfect example of jumping to the big time or perceived big name school and unless something drastically changes he's going to have to reinvent himself either after this season or next. Just don't see the powers at be continuing with him. Saw some photos this past week of attendance at UT game. Way, way down. No energy in the program,etc....I know he got his biggest win yesterday but long term that thing isn't working.

8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Shaka is a perfect example of jumping to the big time or perceived big name school and unless something drastically changes he's going to have to reinvent himself either after this season or next. Just don't see the powers at be continuing with him. Saw some photos this past week of attendance at UT game. Way, way down. No energy in the program,etc....I know he got his biggest win yesterday but long term that thing isn't working.

Plus, he's got 6 guys on the current roster that were too 50 recruits, and 10 that were top 80...

It isn't  like he's not getting the talent...

But I have more than a few UT friends, and they're, for the most part, ambivalent. 

Now Tom Herman better get it in gear though...

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Plus, he's got 6 guys on the current roster that were too 50 recruits, and 10 that were top 80...

It isn't  like he's not getting the talent...

But I have more than a few UT friends, and they're, for the most part, ambivalent. 

Now Tom Herman better get it in gear though...

Didn't realize he had that many ranked players too. That doesn't help.

I have 2 very good friends who call Austin home. They are Big 10 transplants but cheer for the local team too. They are always amazed at how much $ is poured into a school, team, facilities,etc....and still nothing in terms of even coming close to meeting expectations. 

Archived