OTHER coaches on the "hot seat"

rico

I think little ricky is gone and as bad as he is, I still feel sorry for him.  I was shocked when he chose not to foul down ten points with a minute-thirty-something to go at home.  Sure, it's a tall order, but as shaky as IU's free throws have been and with the 3-point line, anything is possible.  He literally conceded that game with enough time on the clock to make a final run.

Can't coach and can't recruit.  Worst coach in the B1G.  By now Minnesota knows they could do better and I know IU fans would not tolerate that kind of mediocrity for seven years...a lot of fans don't even want to give Archie three.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, dgambill said:

He is recruiting well...I can't imagine even with an early exit you fire the coach of the current B1G regular season champion.

If he fails with this team? The fans were ready to move on from him last year. It'll be a situation very similar to FCTC's. 

1 minute ago, AxnJxn said:

If he fails with this team? The fans were ready to move on from him last year. It'll be a situation very similar to FCTC's. 

I've thought for awhile that Turgeon is a pretty good recruiter, but a pretty average strategist and developer.  He's had elite talent but never really seems to quite get Maryland to elite status.

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Very true...me too...my own feeling is Okie St to Illinois is at best a lateral move...at least Okie St had a couple of NCAA championships as A&M...

Well in Brannen's case UC is in the AAC.  The ACC or Big 12 is a step up from that.  IMO

2 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Question. And I know he is not on the hot seat.  But don't want to start a new thread for this question.  And it is.... what would Illinois have become had Bill Self stayed, rather than moving on to Kansas ?  Would they have been the next IU, like under Knight ?

That is better for another thread.

31 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I've thought for awhile that Turgeon is a pretty good recruiter, but a pretty average strategist and developer.  He's had elite talent but never really seems to quite get Maryland to elite status.

I guess I would ask what do the Maryland fans expect from the basketball program?  Seems Turgeon has done a good job.  I would like to think his job is safe.

15 minutes ago, rico said:

Well in Brannen's case UC is in the AAC.  The ACC or Big 12 is a step up from that.  IMO

Again true, but the Big 12 team you cite probably wants a home run hire and has plenty of dough to throw at one...

As tough as the ACC is year in and year out, taking one of those jobs might be a resume tarnisher too...ask Pastner...

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Again true, but the Big 12 team you cite probably wants a home run hire and has plenty of dough to throw at one...

As tough as the ACC is year in and year out, taking one of those jobs might be a resume tarnisher too...ask Pastner...

Oh I know, I just think Brannen is gonna get some calls.

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

That's pretty much his rep in a nutshell. He should be fine if he can at minimum get to the S16, but if they end up as a 2 and they get upset before then? That could get ugly. 

1 hour ago, JugRox said:

Let's go big.....

Williams at UNC?

Self at Kansas?

Miller at Arizona?

Self & Miller should be gone IMO. Roy's just having a bad year, after several pretty good years.

I wonder if Roy got caught up in trying to go for "elite" talent rather than "his kind" of player. Not saying he succeeded in getting them, but perhaps he deviated from his normal specs for a recruit.

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Question. And I know he is not on the hot seat.  But don't want to start a new thread for this question.  And it is.... what would Illinois have become had Bill Self stayed, rather than moving on to Kansas ?  Would they have been the next IU, like under Knight ?

He would have probably done really well,won some games..recruited Chicago area well then would have been enticed by the Chicago Bulls...Gone to the NBA then flopped and back to College..🤔

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

After what Dollar Bill did to get a couple of his classes....the answer to your question is Illinois would have become the next SMU. 

6 hours ago, DC2345 said:

It’s possible but I think they’ve got there eyes set on Beard. There have been rumors back channel talks have already gone on and Texas is going to pay to get him.

I've heard on local radio Beard and Donovan to be top 2 targets.   Could just be radio talk and not rumors of any sort.  Shaka will be leaving behind a nice group of players assuming they don't have a lot of defections. 

5 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I think little ricky is gone and as bad as he is, I still feel sorry for him.  I was shocked when he chose not to foul down ten points with a minute-thirty-something to go at home.  Sure, it's a tall order, but as shaky as IU's free throws have been and with the 3-point line, anything is possible.  He literally conceded that game with enough time on the clock to make a final run.

Can't coach and can't recruit.  Worst coach in the B1G.  By now Minnesota knows they could do better and I know IU fans would not tolerate that kind of mediocrity for seven years...a lot of fans don't even want to give Archie three.

He's a college guy in a pro town. I think Rick would thrive (for him) at a place like Clemson or some other true college town where hoops isn't the deal and rules can be bent a tad. Kind of what Travis Ford has done at St. Louis. 

Archived