OTHER coaches on the "hot seat"

rico

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Didn't realize he had that many ranked players too. That doesn't help.

I have 2 very good friends who call Austin home. They are Big 10 transplants but cheer for the local team too. They are always amazed at how much $ is poured into a school, team, facilities,etc....and still nothing in terms of even coming close to meeting expectations. 

I do believe Texas has 3 guys out for the year?  But not sure.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Shaka is a perfect example of jumping to the big time or perceived big name school and unless something drastically changes he's going to have to reinvent himself either after this season or next. Just don't see the powers at be continuing with him. Saw some photos this past week of attendance at UT game. Way, way down. No energy in the program,etc....I know he got his biggest win yesterday but long term that thing isn't working.

I believe Shaka is a helluva coach...I just don't think he is the right fit for the Texas job.  

On 3/1/2020 at 8:33 AM, rico said:

I believe Shaka is a helluva coach...I just don't think he is the right fit for the Texas job.  

I had season tix for a few years but dropped the last 2.  My son usually went to games but he is now busy with work and school and rarely available.  Also it is easy to get tix to any game these days. I was there for the last 3 years of Barnes and the first 3 of Shaka.' The Arena is a morgue unless they play a marquis game and fill it up. Usually the upper level is near empty.  I think once the move to the smaller more cozy arena it will create a more raucous environment much like the volleyball program has going in the old Gregory Gym which fills up at 5-6k.  

I don't know about that fit thing.   This isn't the football team.  The last  2 basketball coaches were Penders and Barnes.  They seemed to be polar opposites.  The only reason Shaka isn't the right fit is the team isn't producing.  Maybe this is the issue but he is probably the nicest coach in the country. Everybody likes the guy and they brought him in to help generate excitement for moving to the new arena as opposed to a standoffish type of coach like Marshall.  Maybe it is just taking longer than expected to get this program turned around.  Last year they finished strong but it was to little to late to make the NCAA but they won the NIT.   Many still think this run is fools gold.   They are highly capable of losing Saturday and the 1st conference tourney game which would doom him. Still probably on  the hot seat.  If they win Saturday they could finish 3rd in the Big 12 if TTU loses to KU.  Whether fools gold or not, I think Shaka deserves to stay on for the final year of the Erwin Center if making the tourney.   The entire team is back next year if no defections so it could be a banner year.  If not then they removed another year on the buyout and Beard can come when the new arena opens. LOL

As far as the season.  This season looked really promising but they dug themselves a big hole again. Yet here they are playing well to close out the year..   I think like IU the guard play has been suspect since Shaka arrived. His guards are higher level recruits so it is bit maddening but they have been quite an inexperienced group.  Coleman and Ramey really got keys to the car as Frosh and Sophs and their inexperience showed.  They had their version of Devonte Green last year in Kerwin Roach.  Roach is a better player than Green but as the senior leader got suspended a couple of times for breaking team rules.  Jones was headed for the NBA after his soph year but missed 2 years due to cancer.  I think having him back to replace Roach is positive.  Right now Jones would be a Senior but is a Soph.  Ramey is Soph.  Febres and Coleman are Juniors. I think having experienced good guards is key.  Who knows why they had the mid season dip but 4 of those losses were against Baylor and Kansas then the injuries.   The integration of 3 star redshirt Frosh Brock Cunningham (hustle guy) due to injury  seems to be the catalyst in their comeback.  I doubt he leaves the rotation when healthy players are back.  

Article is a few weeks old, but the following comment to the article is enjoyable:

JJDawgWed Feb 12 2020

I don’t want to fire the guy after year 2, in fact I’m willing to give him 2 more years after this one.

I just want him to start coaching worth a damn. I have seen nothing so far that tells me he can out coach anybody except Penny Hardaway.

Tom Crean gets vote of 'total confidence' from Greg McGarity

https://247sports.com/college/georgia/Article/Georgia-Bulldogs-basketball-Tom-Crean-total-confidence-Greg-McGarity-143731397/

12 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Article is a few weeks old, but the following comment to the article is enjoyable:

JJDawgWed Feb 12 2020

I don’t want to fire the guy after year 2, in fact I’m willing to give him 2 more years after this one.

I just want him to start coaching worth a damn. I have seen nothing so far that tells me he can out coach anybody except Penny Hardaway.

Tom Crean gets vote of 'total confidence' from Greg McGarity

https://247sports.com/college/georgia/Article/Georgia-Bulldogs-basketball-Tom-Crean-total-confidence-Greg-McGarity-143731397/

Penny Hardaway...that's looking like a very low bar...😂😂😂

2 minutes ago, JEFFVETTE said:

Has Chris Collins been mentioned? I saw his record today and it's awful, and the 6 season's before this one aren't overly impressive. Am I missing something?

Yes it’s Northwestern.  He’s the only coach to take them to the NCAA tournament.  They kept Carmody for years with similar or worse records.  Northwestern doesn’t care about basketball necessarily either.  Hard to recruit there too.

1 minute ago, IUwins0708 said:

Yes it’s Northwestern.  He’s the only coach to take them to the NCAA tournament.  They kept Carmody for years with similar or worse records.  Northwestern doesn’t care about basketball necessarily either.  Hard to recruit there too.

Yeah. I thought that would change with the B1G money, and he seemed like a good to great fit. I guess the "new car smell" has went away from the coaching hire.

11 minutes ago, JEFFVETTE said:

Has Chris Collins been mentioned? I saw his record today and it's awful, and the 6 season's before this one aren't overly impressive. Am I missing something?

He's safe. Their top scorers are 3 freshman, 1 sophomore and a lacrosse player who's playing his first year of college basketball as a grad transfer. Imagine navigating the B1G with that. The three freshmen, Buie, Young and Kopp all look like good players. Buie and Kopp, especially. Just not ready to compete at a Big Ten level.

1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

He's safe. Their top scorers are 3 freshman, 1 sophomore and a lacrosse player who's playing his first year of college basketball as a grad transfer. Imagine navigating the B1G with that. The three freshmen, Buie, Young and Kopp all look like good players. Buie and Kopp, especially. Just not ready to compete at a Big Ten level.

Nance is pretty good as well.

1 hour ago, JEFFVETTE said:

He strikes me as pretty safe.  I think he's a pretty good coach...just dealing with the limitations of the school he's at an the league he's in.

9 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

He strikes me as pretty safe.  I think he's a pretty good coach...just dealing with the limitations of the school he's at an the league he's in.

Not to derail, but it's almost a miracle what Fitzgerald has done with their football program. Much tougher to build than basketball.

14 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I think the proof will be in the pudding next year. They lose Spencer, but have 7 quality kids coming back (barring anything unforseen).

Kopp, Buie, Nance, and Beran are a nice nucleus. I think Kopp and Nance can be stars.

They have a 2020 kid coming in that might help too...

4 star guard (109) Ty Berry...

Collins bought himself a couple of years with the NCAA run in 2017, but I think next year will be the teller...

Archived