Game Day ! The IU vs PSU Pre-Game Thread

milehiiu

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All February long, I have been saying EVERY February game is an opportunity for our Hoosiers.  The game on the road against what I consider to be a bad team in Minnesota, was an opportunity.  Now... we have an opportunity to win a home game against a team, I think is very good. 

This is a monster game. It's sort of what I was talking about the other day, it's been typical IU over the last decade or so to win that Minny game and then lay an egg at home in a big game where there's a real opportunity for momentum. 

What has me excited though, is that IU didn't just squeak by Minny, we thoroughly outplayed them. Minny isn't the best team in the world, or even particularly good, but IU won on the road with toughness, intensity and also Archie changed up some lineups and adjusted the defense. Those things all give me hope. 

Now they need to close the deal by showing up on Sunday and taking care of business. By playing hard, with passion and playing smart basketball on Sunday and getting another big win, IU will make their lives considerably easier heading down the stretch here. 

Really liked the effort on both ends last night. Multiple guys were getting out on offense and getting back on defense.  The lineups with Rob, Devonte/Al, Justin/Jerome, Race, and TJD seemed dynamic on both ends.  Let fouls, rest, and matchups determine how much we need Joey, Franklin, and DeRon.

Wish we had a true backup point guard.  Al and Devonte both play much better off the ball.  Al is a solid catch and shoot guy, and Devonte seems more effective with his step back threes when he isn't bring the ball up. For whatever reason, Devonte doesn't seem to get as squared up coming off screens usually.

Glad to see Rob looked quick, decisive, and strong driving to the basket last night. If he and Race are fully healthy, and their conditioning is back, we have solid potential. Just glad we don't need Devonte to hit 7 three's to get a solid win. Now we just need to see this effort consistently,  which hasn't happened,  yet.

Never thought I'd say this but I think PSU is the best team in the B1G right now. I know Maryland is above them in most rankings, but I just like the pressure PSU brings and their toughness. 

This will be a tough win for sure. 

I'm really hoping that we see Race establish himself early and that he gets a lot of minutes as a result. 

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think we will win this game

I think so too...if the lesson of the 2nd half last night (getting TJD touches and playing stifling defense) stick...

In the first game, our frontcourt went 14-21 from the field...our backcourt? 3-23...we had 16 turnovers...and we only won the board battle 40-34...

Play as tough and smart as we did in the last 15 minutes vs Minny, and we'll win...

1 minute ago, RoadToZion said:

Rob was banged up and had 0 points and Race didnt play the last time we faced PSU. Should be a different outcome this time. 

Also if I remember correctly that it was tied at half and we shut down Stevens in the first half but he went off in the second half.

11 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

Rob was banged up and had 0 points and Race didnt play the last time we faced PSU. Should be a different outcome this time. 

Also, Hunter was sick and didn't play and according to Archie, Brunk had the flu or something but played through it. 

Not trying to make excuses, but we should have a healthier more ready unit on Sunday. 

If the right team shows up Sunday we should have no problem winning this game. I assume it'll be a close game, but I expect a big crowd. Everyone knows what's at stake including the players, have to take advantage of these home games. The fact that Penn State is ranked this high will make this a great resume win for NCAA as well. Let's get this dub!!

Archived