Game Day ! The IU vs PSU Pre-Game Thread

milehiiu

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Also, Hunter was sick and didn't play and according to Archie, Brunk had the flu or something but played through it. 

Not trying to make excuses, but we should have a healthier more ready unit on Sunday. 

Isn't it nice going into a game not to hear about how Rob is ailing, Hunter is sick, etc. etc.? 

8 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

It's going to be a good game, I'm thinking like the MD game BUT with a better and different ending.

We seem to play down to our competition when at home for some reason.  Given that PSU is top 15 we should win I think.  It’s the mediocre teams we seem to struggle with at AH.  I know we lost to MD but only by a point and we had that in the bag.  MD could win the national title potentially.

This will be a tough one. We have to show up and play a full 40 minutes. Scoring droughts and defensive lapses will kill us. PSU is a good, tough minded team. I like how they play. Let’s hope the team that played with effort and toughness last night shows up at the Hall on Sunday. That team can play with anyone. 

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

Yeah maybe.  Reminds me of my days at IU.

115CCBD3-452B-4434-A886-B9E1B15E706A.gif

Funny stuff there dbm.  Though I have got to say she looks too old to me, to be a student.  However, on the other hand, I would not kick her out of..... oh you know how it ends.  And don't call be a dirty old man.  LOL

1 hour ago, jv1972iu said:

Hey...Happy Birthday!  Mine is Friday, 2/28.  A fairly big one...#70.  😁

Ya young pup. Gonna have 4 years on you this coming August.

By the way. I love these pre-game threads.  Never know which direction they are going to take.... in addition to talking about the upcoming game.

Will be interesting to see who starts. I know Archie hasn't changed the lineup much, but he did show at Minny that he's willing to change at some point (adjusting the hedging, playing Race extended minutes, etc.), and I think this game calls for a change. 

Lamar Stevens plays the 4-spot, if you have to label it, though he's all over the court, but you can't put TJD, Brunk or De'Ron Davis on him, which means you can't really play any of those guys together for too many minutes. We know Smith can guard Stevens, and while I'm not sure Race has the lateral quickness to defend Stevens he certainly has the toughness and strength. 

I actually think Race is an excellent defender with decent lateral quickness.  On a similar note, was anyone else impressed with Franklin's on and off ball defense last night?  He didn't do much from a stat sheet perspective, but was playing excellent defense I believe on Carr.

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Will be interesting to see who starts. I know Archie hasn't changed the lineup much, but he did show at Minny that he's willing to change at some point (adjusting the hedging, playing Race extended minutes, etc.), and I think this game calls for a change. 

Lamar Stevens plays the 4-spot, if you have to label it, though he's all over the court, but you can't put TJD, Brunk or De'Ron Davis on him, which means you can't really play any of those guys together for too many minutes. We know Smith can guard Stevens, and while I'm not sure Race has the lateral quickness to defend Stevens he certainly has the toughness and strength. 

I was a little disappointed that Coach Miller did not start De'Ron, considering the game that De'Ron had previously. However, it took no time for coach to pull the plug on Joey (who I also like) to insert De'Ron for Joey. 

In the end, I am not as wrapped up in who starts, as much as who performs once they hit the court.

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

The last PSU game Brunk got the fewest minutes of those who played. I love Brunk because the guy works hard and has cool hair, but there's some matchups that he just don't work with him...PSU (w/ Lamar Stevens) seems to be one of those.

I agree that it will be interesting to see who starts. I REALLY think RACE needs to be in right away to help set the tempo. But given CAM's history with line-ups I'd be pleasantly shocked to see a change. 

43 minutes ago, btownmd said:

I actually think Race is an excellent defender with decent lateral quickness.  On a similar note, was anyone else impressed with Franklin's on and off ball defense last night?  He didn't do much from a stat sheet perspective, but was playing excellent defense I believe on Carr.

I was really glad Franklin got some minutes. He is really good defender and brings a lot of toughness at the guard spot 

After last night's win, I am encouraged.  Will be much more so if they can play well and beat Penn State (can't believe I even have to say such a thing!) on Sunday.

The last time, PSU turned us over what seemed like a thousand times.  Their game is defense, with enough offense thrown in to win more than they lose.  IU must hold onto the ball.  Unlike the last time, they must not let PS take TJD out of the game, and they must be able to hit a few outside shots also.  On defense, just keep Stevens within 20 points and guard the hell out of the 3 point line.  Finally, and I also don't know why this should ever have to be said, practice and then hit free throws.  This team gets to the line a lot but then gives away far too many points there.  Some, like TJD, Rob, and Smith, seem to have actually regressed at the line.  Only Green and Race were able to actually hit two of two last night or make the first of a one and one.  This has to improve!  Let's see what happens on Sunday!

It will be interesting to see how they handle TJD.  I expect to see them bring a guard down a little quicker than Minnesota did to try and contain him.  That is why our guard play will be big IMO.  We need to have one of those starts where the guards make them pay for leaving them and we need Trayce to have the presence of mind (and confidence) to get a ball back out to teammates early.  If we knock down some early shots, it should give him more room to move down low.

I would be interested to see a starting lineup of Rob, Green, Hunter, Race, and TJD to see if we could get an early run going.  

Archived