Game Day ! The IU vs PSU Pre-Game Thread

milehiiu

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don’t call me a hater but I’m still waiting on that breakout performance from Rob P.  I feel he has been way to non-existent for a player in his second yr who was supposed to be an in State Stud.  Just showed so much Potential as a Frosh and had multiple clutch performances that were still waiting to see as a Soph!  We could really use him Sunday regardless of how his Soph season has gone.  Time to hit the reset button and forget what happened up to this point.  Plenty of time for REDEMPTION Rob, LETS GO HSN!!!

Huge opportunity on Sunday.  Crowd will be ready to bring the energy,  just need to come out and compete.  Get the ball to TJD early and often, but can't force post entry passes and be careless with the ball.  Turnovers cost us the game at Penn St.  We turned it over 17 times, which Penn State scored 21 points off of and we only turned them over 7 times, scoring 6 points.  Points off turnovers margin was 15 points and we lost the game 64-49.  If Penn State gets anywhere close to 15 steals again, it is going to be hard for us to come out with a win.  Like the idea of playing smaller with Smith at the 4 on Stephens, mixing in Race for some minutes.  

23 minutes ago, EvilleHoosier said:

Huge opportunity on Sunday.  Crowd will be ready to bring the energy,  just need to come out and compete.  Get the ball to TJD early and often, but can't force post entry passes and be careless with the ball.  Turnovers cost us the game at Penn St.  We turned it over 17 times, which Penn State scored 21 points off of and we only turned them over 7 times, scoring 6 points.  Points off turnovers margin was 15 points and we lost the game 64-49.  If Penn State gets anywhere close to 15 steals again, it is going to be hard for us to come out with a win.  Like the idea of playing smaller with Smith at the 4 on Stephens, mixing in Race for some minutes.  

Was hoping for a great crowd to help lead this struggling team to victory but after thinking about it, why would they?  They haven’t witnessed any kind of success from this BB program since their arrival and none were born during the Glory yrs to carry on the Tradition.  As much as I will be disappointed from this team if they don’t make the dance, I will be equally disappointed if our Students don’t show up for a Noon game on Sun with all that is on the line esp with a top 15 team invading their HALL!!  It’s crazy with all that has gone wrong not only this yr but prior two yrs that OUR fate rests on games being played at the HALL.  These last 3 home games will not only check the Pulse of this program but the Pulse of the FANS/STUDENTS as well!  The latter is just as important!  

#rockthehall

Decided to practice what I preach & make my first ever trip to Assembly Hall to do my part.  I need two tickets for me & my 13 yr old Son if anybody can’t make the game.  Looking at sites, there is not a lot of options which is encouraging but makes it awfully expensive.  Willing to buy from a third party but thought id check here first.  Can’t wait to run PSU right out of Assembly Hall for another statement win! 

22 minutes ago, btownmd said:

I don’t know that the starting lineup means anything really.  I do appreciate how Archie seems to finish the games with the best players in that particular game.

I largely agree with you, except when the same starters, predictably, allow the team to dig themselves into a hole early, for all the reasons we know. 
I mean generally who fishes and plays the major and crunch time minutes is often more important than who starts - but if the starting group is causing the team to have to dig themselves out of a deficit repeatedly then it’s time to change things up 

1 hour ago, madmax said:

Anyone else dislike the fact that Rutgers and Penn State are good? Like, you’re supposed to be bad... just stop it.

Although I certainly wish we’d see Race in the starting lineup over Brunk, I don’t expect it. 

Just that more frustrating in the fact IU has more talent than both and comes down to HEART.  I caught myself in a conversation that our Season boils down to beating PSU at the HALL and I had to say it three times before it clicked.  Freakin Penn State is ranked top 10 Nationally, 2nd in the B10 while a former Blueblood hopes to beat them at home in order to just make the dance.  Did HELL just freeze over?

9 hours ago, madmax said:

Anyone else dislike the fact that Rutgers and Penn State are good? Like, you’re supposed to be bad... just stop it.

Although I certainly wish we’d see Race in the starting lineup over Brunk, I don’t expect it. 

Just like when I was young that UW and Northwestern was the laughing stock of the league in both football and basketball.  it took time to realize that they are good programs and are legit teams.

8 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I largely agree with you, except when the same starters, predictably, allow the team to dig themselves into a hole early, for all the reasons we know. 
I mean generally who fishes and plays the major and crunch time minutes is often more important than who starts - but if the starting group is causing the team to have to dig themselves out of a deficit repeatedly then it’s time to change things up 

Actually I think we start fine but Archie subs after the first timeout and that seems like when we start playing bad.

What scares me most is every time a player has a career game usually means a dud in the next.  I really hope TJD continues his play but reality says someone else is gonna have to step up in order to win on Sun.  Under the circumstances, it will have to be someone with big heart which makes it difficult to predict.  This game is a barometer for who wants it and who does not!!!  A Season type changer where a win propels to greater things & a loss sends the program into shambles.  Comes down to the #1 most important game in the CAM tenure!  Do we have the HEART?

3 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

What scares me most is every time a player has a career game usually means a dud in the next.  I really hope TJD continues his play but reality says someone else is gonna have to step up in order to win on Sun.  Under the circumstances, it will have to be someone with big heart which makes it difficult to predict.  This game is a barometer for who wants it and who does not!!!  A Season type changer where a win propels to greater things & a loss sends the program into shambles.  Comes down to the #1 most important game in the CAM tenure!  Do we have the HEART?

Don’t buy it, respectfully. While I agree the game is massive, there are still opportunities to strengthen the bid for a spot in the tournament, including two very winnable home games to end the year.

3 hours ago, madmax said:

Don’t buy it, respectfully. While I agree the game is massive, there are still opportunities to strengthen the bid for a spot in the tournament, including two very winnable home games to end the year.

A part of me totally agrees 100% but I don’t want to back in to the tournament or be the play in game.  Honestly, if we can’t beat PSU at home for all the marbles do we really deserve the invitation?  Yes we do, especially for the fanbase but expectations will be lowered to early exit.  I’m excited to see if this team finally turned the corner or if WED night was a full moon 🌕.

Is this a must win game for IU. I don’t think so I terms of getting in the NCAA tournament. Would it be a big feather in out hat to get in yes! Would it be a big help in the psyche of this team going forward yes! Could relieve so pressure on them to win. 

Do I think to win this game good DG needs to show up, NOI think the good IU team needs to show up. They show up to play against Minn, but where were they the last three or four games. How they couldn’t push the effort button against Purdue is outside my thought process. I will be watching and cheering them on hopefully to victory, I will be coming to the game I hope they come to! 

2 hours ago, Bob said:

Is this a must win game for IU. I don’t think so I terms of getting in the NCAA tournament. Would it be a big feather in out hat to get in yes! Would it be a big help in the psyche of this team going forward yes! Could relieve so pressure on them to win. 

Do I think to win this game good DG needs to show up, NOI think the good IU team needs to show up. They show up to play against Minn, but where were they the last three or four games. How they couldn’t push the effort button against Purdue is outside my thought process. I will be watching and cheering them on hopefully to victory, I will be coming to the game I hope they come to! 

I think it is unless we win a couple more road games. We have dropped two home games to quality teams already. One more sends a bad signal we are not a team that can compete in march. Hoosiers need to show up big tomorrow in convincing fashion. 

This PSU team has been winning on the road and against the better teams. It’s going to be a tough game. But Race’s return to health and increased playing time, along with Rob showing he can drive again, reflecting his health and confidence, Hunter’s steady return to form and confidence, and the minutes RE-allocation that comes with all of that, should include Davis too, has the team looking much more ready for the challenge. 

Bring it 

17 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

This PSU team has been winning on the road and against the better teams. It’s going to be a tough game. But Race’s return to health and increased playing time, along with Rob showing he can drive again, reflecting his health and confidence, Hunter’s steady return to form and confidence, and the minutes RE-allocation that comes with all of that, should include Davis too, has the team looking much more ready for the challenge. 

Bring it 

No way our backcourt plays as poorly as it did in Happy Valley. 

And while I think Mike Watkins is a pretty good post defender, if we get TJD touches like we did against Minny, we'll have an excellent shot here...we dominated them in the frontcourt last time, we should be able to this time too...even 40% shooting from our backcourt last time and we would have been in that game...

With a raucous crowd behind us, I see us doing well here...

I would hope that you all agree with me that IU's offense is best on the fast break. Which is why Coach Miller got upset when we were not pushing the ball at times against Minnesota.  IU is not good setting up the ball on O.  Key to a win against PSU for me, is to get back quickly on O, find the open man, or drive it all the way to the bucket.

40 years after the Miracle on Ice :

Miracle on Ice 

Game one day later.  And I have got to ask : "Do you believe in Miracles ? "

Maybe not on the same level as 40 years previously. However, a win on Sunday, will get IU one more game closer to making the NCAAT, in much the same manner as the Miracle on Ice. No one thought the USA could beat the best hockey team of it's age.  It's been so long for a starving IU fan base, as well.  And now, IU is facing what is a surprising and arguably one of the best teams in the B1G.  GO HOOSIERS !

Archived