Bill Self. What if ?

milehiiu

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

He had never left Illinois.  Would he have become the next Bobby Knight of the B1G ?

I doubt he would have won the big ten 15 straight years or what ever it was in the big 12.  I don't think he would have had the same success at UI as he has had at KU but they would still been a top team in the big ten.

5 minutes ago, IDontWannaLargeFarva2 said:

Self has the 2nd most tournament wins of any coach since he's been at Kansas. You don't really know what you're talking about and you're referencing losses from a decade and a half ago. 

LOL, ok.  He has the most wins because he plays in a terrible conference which allows him to have a higher seed each year.  It’s ok Bill, I didn’t mean anything by it.

Edit: At Kansas Self has won 46 tourney games and has 2 final fours 

Izzo has 50 wins and 8 final fours.  

Yep I don’t know troll......

Just now, IDontWannaLargeFarva2 said:

Since Self has been at KU, the Big 12 has been rated ahead of the Big 10 more often than not per Kenpom. Any other falsehoods I can dispel for you? This is getting fun. 

How about you’re dead wrong on him being better than Izzo.  Can I dispel you of anything else?  Look at the stats above.  Yes this is getting fun. 

6 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Stats aren’t providing anything??? Ok man.  What a trip.

Got your back.  Self spent 3 years at Illinois.  Lowest win season was 23 games.  Has spent something like 17 seasons at KU. Has never gone under 20 wins per season, and has gone well over 30 wins in a season several times.  Currently stands at 23 wins this season.

4 minutes ago, IDontWannaLargeFarva2 said:

So you have my back? Reread the back and forth. This guy went back to edit a post and STILL got his facts wrong.

Sorry man. Thanks for being a member. Seriously. However, you've got to build up some cred, before I give you my back.  0708 goes back over a decade with us on various platforms. He has brought a ton over the years for us. Was the very first to break the news about Sampsogate, and much, much more. Bring it, as he has. And over time, you will get it as well.

4 minutes ago, IDontWannaLargeFarva2 said:

Has he been spouting inaccuracies and fabrications for the entirety of the last decade? Is this something I should get used to?

Keep this up and I am sure you will get used to not being able to post. There is a polite way to disagree and you haven't done it yet.

1 minute ago, IDontWannaLargeFarva2 said:

Has he been spouting inaccuracies and fabrications for the entirety of the last decade? Is this something I should get used to?

Again. Thanks for being a member. Yet. Your statement could not be further from the truth.  0708 is and has been dialed in for years.  I am not about to tell you how close he is to the program. I will just let you attempt to figure that out for your self.  That is.... if you are still around for as long as 0708 has been.

3 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

It’s all good fellas, he’s got 30 some posts. We’ve been down this road before.  Thanks for the backing me though.

Just want to say.  We've gone through a lot together. Never forgot the Friday night you posted about Sampson on  Decker's Hoosier Nation on the old Scout platform. Which got you banned by the First Estate.  And I went to bat for you with John. Who reinstated you.  And then the next Friday you posted the EXACT figures of the Sampson buyout. At that time Hoosier Nation was the ONLY fan site to have that info. Because of you.  Yet, after the buyout became public, it was Decker, and not you who got the credit for breaking the news on Sampson.

Thanks for all the intel you have shared with me over the years. And know. YOU will always have my back.

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

Just want to say.  We've gone through a lot together. Never forgot the Friday night you posted about Sampson on  Decker's Hoosier Nation on the old Scout platform. Which got you banned by the First Estate.  And I went to bat for you with John. Who reinstated you.  And then the next Friday you posted the EXACT figures of the Sampson buyout. At that time Hoosier Nation was the ONLY fan site to have that info. Because of you.  Yet, after the buyout became public, it was Decker, and not you who got the credit for breaking the news on Sampson.

Thanks for all the intel you have shared with me over the years. And know. YOU will always have my back.

I’ve been wrong my fair share too, but people like you are why I post what I hear.  Sometimes wrong sometimes right but I always post it.  

1 hour ago, IDontWannaLargeFarva2 said:

He's better than Izzo. 

1 hour ago, IUwins0708 said:

Not sure about that.  Izzo plays in a real conference and rarely ( at least it seems) has early round exits like Bucknell Bill.

Plus, we know Bill cheated to assemble the talent he did so there will always be an asterisk by his name for me.  Maybe Izzo cheated too, but I'm much more confident that Self had players paid to go to Kansas.

17 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Full disclosure I was an other site guy at that time but would peek at other places. After his post that night your old site made me keep following you guys around. There was another guy I thought was dialed in....PistonHonda maybe? Anyway. To not only have the story but have the amounts from the parties.....and not one journalist picked up on it has had me tracking you guys around for 13 years now. Thanks to 0708 and you as well. 

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

He had never left Illinois.  Would he have become the next Bobby Knight of the B1G ?

If Self could have completely owned the top recruits out of Chicago,  sprinkled in talent from places like Peoria and East St. Louis, and picked up his share of national recruits, think he could have done quite well at Illinois.   He's played the Chicago game fairly well at Illinois and Kansas, so no reason to think he couldn't have at least maintained recruiting momentum at U of I. 

Think of the Chicago talent Duke alone has utilized during this time period.(Jabari Parker, Jahlil Okafor, Jon Scheyer, Sean Dockery to name a few)  Throw in Anthony Davis and Derrick Rose, and there is a ton of potential.  He wouldn't get them all, but bet he would've gotten his share. 

No way he wins the B1G every year, but he would be in contention and surely make some deep runs in the tourney. And let's be honest, U of I would be happy to let Dollar Bill do his thing.

1 minute ago, IDontWannaLargeFarva2 said:

We don’t even really have to project how he would have done at Illinois, he coached there for three years, won the conference 2/3 years.

I assume had he stayed it would have been much the same if not better, he would have won the B1G 2/3 or 3/4 of the time.

Can't disagree with B1G success, except maybe win half. The question, which we'll never know, is national championships.

The top MSU and OSU teams had the talent. Wisky had the system.  The Michigan, Purdue, and several OSU championship teams would seem to be the most likely to get bumped because they were mostly grinders, and/or the league being down.

Archived