Bill Self. What if ?

milehiiu

14 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Wow...you need to go look at some of the rosters Williams had at KU...Paul Pierce, Raef LaFrentz, Drew Gooden, Nick Collison, Keith Langford...

4 of the top 10 all time KU scorers were Roy Williams recruits and he had 2 National players of the year (Gooden, Collison)...

Don't forget about Jacque Vaughn, won of the best PG's I have ever seen.  

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, IDontWannaLargeFarva2 said:

I hope Archie’s plan is to get old and stay old. With the talent level he’s bringing in we’re going to have to rely on upperclassmen who have developed. 

He’s definitely not recruiting well enough to absorb any kind of roster turnover or early entries.

Player development is definitely a concern!! 

11 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

They don't....but the whole Chicago vs South of I80 debate has been going on since Abe was in the White House. I lived on both sides of that coin.

Kidding aside....Peoria used to be a pipeline when the city was actually vibrant.  Couple other players here and there...but mainly it's Chicago (City and Burbs).

Their last greatest downstate guy was Mark Smith who was Mr. Illinois. Underwood landed him his first 2 months on the job and subsequently transferred after 1 year to rival Missouri. 

Weird thread.

Smith was a late spring bloomer that turned out to be badly overrated. Good shooter, but not much else as he's not much of an athlete. Not sour grapes, he hasn't been very good at Mizzou either. Though they've started to do better without him and TIlmon playing.

The real "last greatest" downstate kid is EJ Liddell, freshman at Ohio St. 2 time Mr Basketball and 2 time state champ. Undersized 4 and struggling a bit, will have to wait and see how he turns out.

And I'll count Adam Miller, he grew up in Peoria before moving to Chicago a couple years ago. 😁

I agree with those saying Self probably wouldn't have stayed long enough anyway. Wish he would have stayed a few more years, but I'd guess he'd have been out of C-U in less than 5 years anyway.

Archived