Will you consider it a failure or big miss if CAM

does not land Romeo or Garland? 

Or would you consider either "gravy," or the cherry on top?

Personally, I think he's off to a great start, and do not think he "needs" to land either. I think either would be outstanding, and should continue to be a key focus (as they are), but don't think it's a failure or big miss if he cannot land either in his first recruitment as IU's HC. But that's just my opinion -- what's yours?

He's come to the party late on both. If he lands one it will be a miracle. I have said it before. It all comes down to how important legacy is to Romeo. Beat Damon's scoring record and leave the state for college, no one cares about you. Beat Damon's record and go to IU, loved forever, GOAT. Romeo has talked about this himself, lets see how important it really is to him.

I don't think it would be a failure.  As mentioned, CAM is late to the recruiting party of these 2.  We most likely won't get Garland, but still have a possible shot at Langford.  I am more interested to see what he can do with Green going forward vs a 1 and done PG.  Not saying it wouldn't be nice to get one of them but i don't think its a failure if he doesn't.  But he needs to start getting top Indiana recruits starting in '19.

I personally feel Romeo is holding off to see CAM coach a season at IU. I just have a feeling we are gonna land him, like Indykev said " he wants to have a legacy in the state of Indiana"...but if we don't I hope people understand Archie didn't have as long as other coaches to build a relationship with. I feel Garland is going elsewhere...just a hunch

On the one hand, given the favorable recruiting circumstances (Duke out, UK out, UL dealing with scandal fallout, outweighs the disadvantage of a late start) it would be disappointing to not land Romeo. On the other hand, it is foolish to measure success or failure on what one teenager, even one as talented as Romeo, decides. It is especially foolish in this case with the class Coach Miller has already assembled.  

I don't think it will be a "failure," but I'll be slightly disappointed if he doesn't land a five star recruit in 2018.  Yes, he came late to the party on Romeo and Garland, but I want IU to be on the level of Duke, UK, and Kansas when it comes to landing top tier recruits.  Getting one of Romeo or Garland will be a very good sign that Archie is on the way to doing that.  At the same time, missing out on both doesn't mean that he won't get to that level eventually.

And personally, as far as Garland goes, I think it will be kind of disappointing to lose out on the number one PG to a school like Vandy.  If he ends up at Duke or another blueblood, fine.  But we should be able to out-recruit Vandy, especially for a kid that grew up in Indiana.

Probably a truer litmus test for CAM is 2019, but definitely will raise up the optimism and hype if he can land Romeo or Darius.

I'm starting to ease off the idea that we land Langford, but like others have said we should have a pretty good chance at Garland especially if its between us and Vandy.

4 minutes ago, SpiderMonkey said:

I have always had some respect for Bryce Drew and didn't think he was quite as shady as Scott.  Is my assumption wrong and the brothers have similar recruiting tactics?

I think all recruiting is "shady" when it comes to top prospects.  If/when Garland goes to Vandy, I'm sure IU fans will accuse Drew of paying him just like Purdue fans accused Archie of paying Phinisee.

Archived