Update on Anthony Leal's senior season

Regarding Leal and his 3 point development with Archie I feel Archie can actually improve Leal. Since Archie took over there have only been two Freshman players between the 2017 and 19 seasons that you would want shooting 3s: Durham and Rob. I’m omitting Smith, Thompson, Anderson and those playing limited minutes. 

Durham has improved his 3 point percentage each season from 25%<34%<35% this season. 

Rob has improved his 3 point percentage each season from 31%<37% this season. 
I expect Hunter and Franklin to also show improvements next year. 

My thought is that Leal being an actual shooter bodes well for his sophomore year. 

1 hour ago, SawatchHoosier said:

Since the 2010-11 season there have been 211 D1 Freshman that have shot 40% or better from 3 with a minimum of 100 attempts. 

Of those 211 only 14 have played in the Big Ten. I attached a screen shot of the list below. 

E16BEE48-438D-4BA4-BE07-C9D2D7897E6A.png

Great stuff, I love Sports Reference.  How’d you search for this?

5 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Great stuff, I love Sports Reference.  How’d you search for this?

Thanks! I love it too. 
I used the “player season finder” ( https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/play-index/psl_finder.cgi ) in the “play index” and restricted the search to freshman, big ten, and under the “additional criteria” restricted the search to 3% > 40% and 3 point shot attempts greater than 100. 

You can almost search for anything you want! 

Good read

“He’s gotten stronger, more athletic, 6-5 ½ maybe, and solid,” Bloomington South coach J.R. Holmes said. “He can score, he can shoot it, and he really has worked the last couple years on being able to take the ball to the basket, get to the free-throw line more in the last year than he did in his sophomore year, his junior year.”

“When you play over at South, and you play for those guys over there, coach Holmes, you know you’re getting a guy that’s really well-coached,” Miller said. “Extremely high motor, plays really hard, has a good body that was going to develop over the course of time. You watched him shoot the ball and you thought the way he played in high school was a direct correlation to how he’s going to play in college.”

Leal, who carries a 4.4 grade point average into his final semester of high school, has already been admitted to IU’s Kelley School of Business. On the floor, he sees what the Hoosiers need personnel-wise, for a program that has been historically weak from behind the arc in Miller’s first two seasons. 

He went through the same process at South, where the Panthers needed his catch-and-shoot impact early in his career.

“Coming in as a freshman, we had a lot of big-time guys like Chance (Coyle),” Leal said. “What we needed was someone who could catch and shoot, play defense, so as a freshman I tried to be as good at that as I could, and tried to go from there and just continue to blossoming into being a scorer, a multidimensional scorer and being a leader on the court.

“It’s been emphasized by coach Holmes: I have to be able to do whatever I can to make us successful. The whole system will reset next year (at IU) and I’ll look at the team and say, ‘OK, we need spot shooters next year,’ when I head to IU, so just over the summer, perfecting that and trying to get as good as I can at that will make the team better and lead to more playing time.

“That’s kind of the idea: Figuring out what the team needs and just being as good at that as I can.”

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2020/02/28/iu-basketball-2020-commit-anthony-leal-ready-make-impact-hometown-hoosiers/4868470002/

26 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Good read

“He’s gotten stronger, more athletic, 6-5 ½ maybe, and solid,” Bloomington South coach J.R. Holmes said. “He can score, he can shoot it, and he really has worked the last couple years on being able to take the ball to the basket, get to the free-throw line more in the last year than he did in his sophomore year, his junior year.”

“When you play over at South, and you play for those guys over there, coach Holmes, you know you’re getting a guy that’s really well-coached,” Miller said. “Extremely high motor, plays really hard, has a good body that was going to develop over the course of time. You watched him shoot the ball and you thought the way he played in high school was a direct correlation to how he’s going to play in college.”

Leal, who carries a 4.4 grade point average into his final semester of high school, has already been admitted to IU’s Kelley School of Business. On the floor, he sees what the Hoosiers need personnel-wise, for a program that has been historically weak from behind the arc in Miller’s first two seasons. 

He went through the same process at South, where the Panthers needed his catch-and-shoot impact early in his career.

“Coming in as a freshman, we had a lot of big-time guys like Chance (Coyle),” Leal said. “What we needed was someone who could catch and shoot, play defense, so as a freshman I tried to be as good at that as I could, and tried to go from there and just continue to blossoming into being a scorer, a multidimensional scorer and being a leader on the court.

“It’s been emphasized by coach Holmes: I have to be able to do whatever I can to make us successful. The whole system will reset next year (at IU) and I’ll look at the team and say, ‘OK, we need spot shooters next year,’ when I head to IU, so just over the summer, perfecting that and trying to get as good as I can at that will make the team better and lead to more playing time.

“That’s kind of the idea: Figuring out what the team needs and just being as good at that as I can.”

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2020/02/28/iu-basketball-2020-commit-anthony-leal-ready-make-impact-hometown-hoosiers/4868470002/

Excited to get this young man on campus. IMO he will go down as a fan favorite as will Galloway 

23 minutes ago, DunkinDipo said:

I was thinking he'd be more like a Sheehey. Excited to watch him develop as a Hoosier!

Sheehy was a freak athlete with a bit of an attitude. Not saying that wasn't an asset, but probably not the guy to lead a team. Leal is an effort guy, but probably more high IQ floor leader than high flyer.

Sounds like he has the work ethic.  I've been reading a lot about Garza this season.  He's incredible and as much as I hate Iowa, I'm rooting for the kid.  These guys (all college bball players) need to realize real improvement doesn't happen in practice but after hours in the gym perfecting your craft.  You put in the work and everything else is much more likely to fall into place.  Emulate a player like Garza or Oladipo.  Study the trajectory they took in college and see how it payed off.

Archived