Braden Smith Commits to Purdue

11 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

He is shorter and weighs less than the next Damon Bailey, but will be a guest of the program tomorrow.  That should tell you what the staff thinks.

Smith is going to grow. I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up about 6’3. His wingspan is abnormally long for a 5’10 kid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, HoosierJax said:

Braden Smith vs Luke Brown...whos better...who would you like to see in an IU uniform, if either.

Smith is a sophomore, while Brown is a senior aged junior. Smith plays a 4A schedule, and started as a freshman last year. Both kids are unreal shooters and gifted passers.

The difference for me is the defensive end...smith is very polished with more room to grow. Very quick laterally. Long arms for a 5’10 kid. That’s why CAM is interested, a scoring point guard who can guard people at a higher level. He’s likely to be 6’2-6’3 when he’s college aged. 

Smith for me if I’m picking one. Coach SS how did his visit go today? Was coach Sumpter (his HS coach) with him? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Being able to get his hand in the passing lane, close out, and keep his defender from the paint is going to be a big deal for any recruit Archie is after. Since the kid can shoot and pass...that’s a huge plus. We need smart guards that can make entry passes and knock down open looks. I only hope people are right in that he grows!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mkaser said:

I watched him when he played against my school this year. Elite passing ability and can score whenever he wants. He only had 12 against my school but he and 6 other players fouled out because the refs called 51 total fouls. He has an offer from Indian Wesleyan. 

Ah the Greenfield Central game. That was a real gem of officiating. 

He has flirted with a triple double a few times this year. 

"Smith was last season's third-leading scorer (12.9 ppg) behind seniors Zach Banks and Caleb Welch. Despite his small stature, he led the Shamrocks in rebounding (4.2 per game) and assists (3.1), while setting a school single-season record with 69 made 3-pointers (hitting 45.1%)."

"Smith can shoot, but his best attribute might be his passing. He sets up his teammates with passes that seem to materialize from the slightest crack in the defense. “Sometimes, I don’t know how those passes get through,” Smith said."

"Ginny Smith was the 1997 Miss Basketball in Arkansas before going on to play at Arkansas Tech. Smith’s father, Dustin Smith, played on Northwestern’s Class 2A regional championship team in 1998 before playing at Arkansas Tech.

“I grew up with a basketball in my hands,” Braden Smith said."

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2019/06/27/ihsaa-basketball-westfield-player-excels-despite-small-stature-charlie-hughes-shootout/1545990001/

Edited by IndySportsPartizan
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, IndySportsPartizan said:

He has flirted with a triple double a few times this year. 

"Smith was last season's third-leading scorer (12.9 ppg) behind seniors Zach Banks and Caleb Welch. Despite his small stature, he led the Shamrocks in rebounding (4.2 per game) and assists (3.1), while setting a school single-season record with 69 made 3-pointers (hitting 45.1%)."

"Smith can shoot, but his best attribute might be his passing. He sets up his teammates with passes that seem to materialize from the slightest crack in the defense. “Sometimes, I don’t know how those passes get through,” Smith said."

"Ginny Smith was the 1997 Miss Basketball in Arkansas before going on to play at Arkansas Tech. Smith’s father, Dustin Smith, played on Northwestern’s Class 2A regional championship team in 1998 before playing at Arkansas Tech.

“I grew up with a basketball in my hands,” Braden Smith said."

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2019/06/27/ihsaa-basketball-westfield-player-excels-despite-small-stature-charlie-hughes-shootout/1545990001/

Love legacy players. He has a lot of talent in his family. Hope the kid grows...would love to have him as a four year player.

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, 5 championships said:

Very skilled but are we sure he is going to be athletic enough to play at the BIG level?

Watched his 1st half against Frankfort a week or so ago and he's definitely athletic enough IMO.

He led his team in rebounds last year as a freshman PG and is only about 5'10. I wouldn't be surprised if he can dunk already (or soon will) even at his height. 

6 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Watched his 1st half against Frankfort a week or so ago and he's definitely athletic enough IMO.

He led his team in rebounds last year as a freshman PG and is only about 5'10. I wouldn't be surprised if he can dunk already (or soon will) even at his height. 

I can guarantee he can dunk.

• Thanks 1