Braden Smith Commits to Purdue

12 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I’d rather have both. Thornton is more day 1 ready as far as body and skill but Smith could give us valuable minutes even as a freshman. I do not want to be in that situation where we only have one primary ball handler on the roster ever again. It’s been so frustrating watching us when Rob leaves the floor...I don’t ever want to go back to that. I sense there is definitely room for two pgs on this roster and with Lander and Rob both gone by 22...absolutely needed. Could even see Smith red shirt to continue to give him time to mature physically and space out the two.

I would take both but would two PG from the same class both want to come here.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I would take both but would two PG from the same class both want to come here.

Thornton is making a move over to sg this year. I think he could absolutely play alongside Braden even. Who knows...depends on each kids goals. Thornton is the higher recruit the more talented kid physically and skill wise...if Braden is ok with the role so be it. You can’t just have one pg. I do agree I’d like them to be staggered every 2 years but Lander isn’t sticking around longer than 2. Time will tell.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I’d rather have both. Thornton is more day 1 ready as far as body and skill but Smith could give us valuable minutes even as a freshman. I do not want to be in that situation where we only have one primary ball handler on the roster ever again. It’s been so frustrating watching us when Rob leaves the floor...I don’t ever want to go back to that. I sense there is definitely room for two pgs on this roster and with Lander and Rob both gone by 22...absolutely needed. Could even see Smith red shirt to continue to give him time to mature physically and space out the two.

Sorry, I just don't fathom Lander as only a 2yr player. 

11 minutes ago, Moyeneeded said:

I don’t know how to root for that. He is rated the best pg in his class nationally. His goal is to get to the nba as soon as possible. If he doesn’t go in 2 years that would mean he isn’t living up to his ranking and probably not playing well here. It would be good to have him around longer but it is also a problem. Player of his caliber should be getting drafted in the first rd after a couple years.

No offense to Braden he is an outstanding ball player but he isn’t going to scare off a kid like Thornton. We likely aren’t just going to turn the keys to the program over to Braden as a freshman. He is a perfect role player who should earn minutes as he matures...unless he wants to go to a smaller program...and that’s fine too. I mean not many high majors are knocking down his door to have him start as a freshman for them. Back up pg role is realistic with a good chance to start as I could see Thornton going pro anyways after 2-3 years.

1 hour ago, Moyeneeded said:

Might need a new fathom. Kids don't reclass to hang for 3 years. We have Lander for next year and probably the following. After that he would be on the Painter program where it takes elite level recruits 3-4 years to get to the NBA. Ain't happening.

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Might need a new fathom. Kids don't reclass to hang for 3 years. We have Lander for next year and probably the following. After that he would be on the Painter program where it takes elite level recruits 3-4 years to get to the NBA. Ain't happening.

Probably right but Derrick Thornton reclassified to go to Duke.  He was a 5 star player and actually stayed in school 5 years but went to 3 schools.

19 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Probably right but Derrick Thornton reclassified to go to Duke.  He was a 5 star player and actually stayed in school 5 years but went to 3 schools.

My guess is if he isn’t a 1st rd pick after two years (barring injury) he isn’t happy with how things are progressing here and transfers anyways. I could get it wrong but again given his skill set and his decisions and focus...going pro is a high priority. Heck he could go after one if he plays well and has first rd stock. I’ll just say 1 year is more likely than 3 from him.

Edited by dgambill

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, CC_Hoosier said:

When the 2022 rankings are released, where do we believe Braden will be ranked?  

If I were guessing on undersized guards in this day and age? I'd say 130-150 range. Tops. Doesn't matter to me. Kid has that basketball skill every coach and team needs and wants. Make the offer, get the verbal and wink at the cage/league for 4 years while winning 25+...same for Gibbs but I think he'll be higher ranked when we get around to 23. Probably 50 range.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I am still saying Smith will be our first 22 committment 

He sounds like the type of player IU fans have always loved to cheer for.  I haven't seen much of him but he sounds a lot like Tom Coverdale and this program can always use that type of recruit.

19 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Sounds good but they said the same thing about Leal

Can't speak to anything about Leal. Know zilch or nada on that recruitment. From the outside perspective he had some academic interests (Stanford) that had to be weighed. which tells me analytical thinking was part of the process....which I like. 

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

He sounds like the type of player IU fans have always loved to cheer for.  I haven't seen much of him but he sounds a lot like Tom Coverdale and this program can always use that type of recruit.

Maybe a little Scott Skiles as well...but more likeable.   😁   Skiles listed in high school at 6'1" and 180 lbs.

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

or the drug use

Oh yeah...sorry!  I forgot about that.  Let's maybe not use Skiles in this discussion.  My error.  I was thinking about the toughness aspect of both players as a point of comparison.

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, jv1972iu said:

Maybe a little Scott Skiles as well...but more likeable.   😁   Skiles listed in high school at 6'1" and 180 lbs.

My family is Indiana for generations. I'm Illinois born. Besides Alford, Calbert, Edwards, and Bailey....Skiles is absolutely one of my favorite college hoops players of all time. His comments to Joubert still to this day is some of the best. Not to mention he was nice to us on the lake years ago. Always a Skiles fan.

• Like 2