Braden Smith Commits to Purdue

On 7/1/2020 at 8:50 AM, Go__Hoosiers said:

Will be interesting to see if all the hype for Smith is real. Right now his only offer is Indiana Wesleyan which is more worrisome to me than his national ranking. If he has the potential to be a high major player - why haven't any mid major programs offered yet? The pandemic?

Not just the pandemic but unless kids are super connected you don’t see a ton of 5’10 kids get immediate attention they usually have to wait I’ll deep junior year to wait till teams first options have signed elsewhere ......lot of factors involved but unless he destroys recognizable aau competition the bigger fish may wait till next season ...and I hope he gets the attention he deserves because he looks like the prototypical “ chip on the shoulder “ kid who will outwork people 

• Like 1

On 7/2/2020 at 6:12 PM, btownqb said:

Westfield vs Blackford. Brown is not a PG at the next level, I dont think. More of a two and that creates an issue on the other end... Smith is a 1. 

Two completely different classes, as well. I'm going to assume athletically(bench, squat, clean, timing, quickness, etc) Smith is pretty superior or projects that way. 

Respectfully disageee I think brown will only play pg wherever he ends up ...but let’s debate that in the brown thread ...much like brown this kid looks like he has what you can’t teach which is court vision ....thinking back to watching Jordy in high school he had that two ...I think all three are natural pgs and I’m excited if you think this kid will break 6’2

5 minutes ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

Respectfully disageee I think brown will only play pg wherever he ends up ...but let’s debate that in the brown thread ...much like brown this kid looks like he has what you can’t teach which is court vision ....thinking back to watching Jordy in high school he had that two ...I think all three are natural pgs and I’m excited if you think this kid will break 6’2

Jordy was never a PG. I played against him probably 10 times and watched him play 50 times before he got to IU. He was NEVER a PG. Dee Davis was the PG in HShttps://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/dee-davis-1.html , Yogi, Verdell, and even Victor were much more PGs than Jordy.  

AAU.. Colt Ryan was his PG. https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/colt-ryan-1.html

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Jordy was never a PG. I played against him probably 10 times and watched him play 50 times before he got to IU. He was NEVER a PG. Dee Davis was the PG in HShttps://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/dee-davis-1.html , Yogi, Verdell, and even Victor were much more PGs than Jordy.  

AAU.. Colt Ryan was his PG. https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/colt-ryan-1.html

Every game I attended ( wasn’t 50 but i did see him at least twice sophomore junior and senior years and more than five at least one year ) he handled the ball as much as anyone on the floor ...I also remember him doing the ball handling demonstrations for clinics .....I think he was a natural point guard who had such a good shot that with another talented ball handler on the squad they wanted to make sure to GET him more shots off ball ....how’d you fare against him ?

6 minutes ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

Every game I attended ( wasn’t 50 but i did see him at least twice sophomore junior and senior years and more than five at least one year ) he handled the ball as much as anyone on the floor ...I also remember him doing the ball handling demonstrations for clinics .....I think he was a natural point guard who had such a good shot that with another talented ball handler on the squad they wanted to make sure to GET him more shots off ball ....how’d you fare against him ?

He kicked my a**. He is SOO perfect to have on loaded teams. Kyle Korver(ish) 

I played with a teammate of his 6'4 230lbs kid in AAU. Jordys team would beat us by 35+ ... my aau team had 2 D1 football players Duwyce Wilson and Zane Fakes, and another 6'7 kid lol 

Bobby Capiobianco and Stephen Van Trese were MEN as SOs in HS. As was DJ Byrd. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, btownqb said:

He kicked my a**. He is SOO perfect to have on loaded teams. Kyle Korver(ish) 

I played with a teammate of his 6'4 230lbs kid in AAU. Jordys team would beat us by 35+ ... my aau team had 2 D1 football players Duwyce Wilson and Zane Fakes, and another 6'7 kid lol 

Bobby Capiobianco and Stephen Van Trese were MEN as SOs in HS. As was DJ Byrd. 

Were you same class older or younger ?

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Man, Btown.....you rubbed elbows with one of the few true hometown IU studs.....can I get your autograph???😉 Jus funnin’....🤩

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Coach Robby said:

Offered by IUPUI today. Will only garner larger attention going forward...

He will roll up a ton of mid major offers no doubt. Let’s be honest...the big boys will play wait and see. Not much risk of a kid of his size garnering tons of major attention. They will make sure he fills out size wise before committing and fall back on name and game to win him more than early offering. Not like Kentucky or Kansas or Duke has him on their radar. Some schools he will be a fall back but it seems Archie has him a priority recruit with the caveat he finishes growing and continues his improvement. 

That said it won’t stop Archie from recruiting over him...he can’t sit back and roll the dice. It’s too big a need for our team to take things for granted.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

He will roll up a ton of mid major offers no doubt. Let’s be honest...the big boys will play wait and see. Not much risk of a kid of his size garnering tons of major attention. They will make sure he fills out size wise before committing and fall back on name and game to win him more than early offering. Not like Kentucky or Kansas or Duke has him on their radar. Some schools he will be a fall back but it seems Archie has him a priority recruit with the caveat he finishes growing and continues his improvement. 

That said it won’t stop Archie from recruiting over him...he can’t sit back and roll the dice. It’s too big a need for our team to take things for granted.

Good points.  I expect Archie to have two very capable point guards at his disposal at any time. And I think it will be successful. So much of sports is avoiding mistakes.  Two point guards who keep things steady will lead to 40 minutes of competent ball and make it hard for an opponent since we will minimize unforced errors.  Out of 80 guard minutes you could get a minimum of 40 top point guard minutes but maybe more depending on situations.  This year with Lander and Phinisee will be instructive as I expect one to be on the floor 90% of the time and both on the floor a decent amount too. 

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DocHoosier said:

^^this is spot on. 

Think of IUs most successful team in the past 20 years. They feature quality PGs (Yogi, Hulls, Coverdale). It’s been the position which IU has the biggest challenge locking down in the recent decade. Arch will make sure that’s a thing in the past!

No doubt we need a floor general. Someone that gets the ball in the right hands at the right spot on the floor. Rob is good although I’d say room to grow...but man we suffer when he isn’t on the court and it’s obvious! I just want to see what it looks like with a Vette in the backcourt instead of a Ford Fusion when Lander gets here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I hope they try and get one of these PGs in the class of 2022 that are more highly rated and wanted by big time schools (ex. Thornton, Holloway). I like Smith but many think his game doesn’t translate to high major college basketball. If we lose Phinisee and Lander in 2022 I hope we bring in a top 80 PG. 

10 hours ago, btroesch14 said:

I hope they try and get one of these PGs in the class of 2022 that are more highly rated and wanted by big time schools (ex. Thornton, Holloway). I like Smith but many think his game doesn’t translate to high major college basketball. If we lose Phinisee and Lander in 2022 I hope we bring in a top 80 PG. 

I am no talent scout but I can tell you we will not be disappointed if we land Smith. Do not let the rankings fool you. He has some things that many of the top PG prospects are lacking. I would like to see 2 PG taken in 22