Braden Smith Commits to Purdue

4 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

I’m never feeling sorry for a guy who gets paid the amount of money he does for coaching a kids game.  I can personally deal with him being less than outgoing to other adults, but to do that to kids is beyond ridiculous.  If the member will reveal I will gladly share.  I do know it’s an indiana kid but unsure of which one.

That reminds of the Cal story...but Archie isn’t on Cals level so he can’t get away with even the appearance of that kind of stuff. It was a western Kentucky HS showcase that had out of state teams and several 5* kids. They had a table set up for between games for people to meet the coaches and get autographs and Cal skipped it and Bill Self sat their for hours in Western Kentucky signing for any kid that wanted it. Never know when a kid might grow up and be your next recruit.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dgambill said:

That reminds of the Cal story...but Archie isn’t on Cals level so he can’t get away with even the appearance of that kind of stuff. It was a western Kentucky HS showcase that had out of state teams and several 5* kids. They had a table set up for between games for people to meet the coaches and get autographs and Cal skipped it and Bill Self sat their for hours in Western Kentucky signing for any kid that wanted it. Never know when a kid might grow up and be your next recruit.

Obviously not a Cal fan. When Ayden was 1st diagnosed a guy I never met from KY that was a high school basketball coach sent out message to all coaches in the KY high school coaches association to pray for Ayden. Some how Cal found out and sent an autographed pic and basketball to Ayden and followed up with a phone call to talk with me. 2 years later there was a fund raiser for Aydens medical cost Cal donated a autographed ball and 4 tix lower level for a UK home game for the auction.  I have lots of stories like that about so many coaches. Cal, Crean and Buzz Williams took time to call and talk with me and CTC and Buzz still reach out time.to.time. 

Edited by Billingsley99
  • Like 9

17 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

There’s an ignore/mute button.  Use it!  It’s pretty well known that Archie is this way in “alumni club” and was an issue from the beginning. Sorry for not being on a mediocre coaches side that doesn’t understand IU basketball.🙄

Ignore/mute buttons are for people who put out patently untrue statements like "Bob Knight cut up with the press" and then can't defend them from the truth. I'd never use that function.

You should look into it though...

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Ignore/mute buttons are for people who put out patently untrue statements like "Bob Knight cut up with the press" and then can't defend them from the truth. I'd never use that function.

Untrue but you even said he cut up with Hammel and Marlow.  Can’t have it both ways, those guys were media members as well

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

How about these 3 for examples of Knight with the media

1. The Donkey

2. game face

3. bull whip 

He was an ass for sure but he had a sense of humor no doubt. 

17 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

How about these 3 for examples of Knight with the media

1. The Donkey

2. game face

3. bull whip 

He was an ass for sure but he had a sense of humor no doubt. 

The Donkey was with Chuck Marlowe only...And if you ever watched the Bob Knight Show, Chuck could and did come under fire on occasion...

Game Face...He was ridiculing a member of the press who had asked the question...The laughter from other was because they were glad it wasn't them...

The bullwhip presser drew more criticism from the press corps, even the hypocritical ones that laughed during it, than "look at funny Bob."...

You can try to wiggle all you want...Bob Knight's relationship with the press was anything but congenial or good natured all in fun ribbing. His sense of humor isn't the issue...you made it sound like he laughed with them...he was laughing AT them...

I have plenty of video footage to back me up on that...

Edited by IUFLA

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The Donkey was with Chuck Marlowe only...And if you ever watched the Bob Knight Show, Chuck could and did come under fire on occasion...

Game Face...He was ridiculing a member of the press who had asked the question...The laughter from other was because they were glad it wasn't them...

The bullwhip presser drew more criticism from the press corps, even the hypocritical ones that laughed during it...

You can try to wiggle all you want...Bob Knight's relationship with the press was anything but congenial or good natured all in fun ribbing. His sense of humor isn't the issue...you made it sound like he laughed with them...he was laughing AT them...

I have plenty of video footage to back me up on that...

I never said he laughed with them, show me where I said that.  Your definition of a sense of humor is obviously a lot different than mine.✌🏻

4 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Why has this thread turned into another Archie thread? 

Because that's what happens when a team is 8-6 and literally 8-9 possessions from being 11-3 and ranked in top 20. At FSU and at Wiscy overtime....not to mention Northwestern. Just those 3 games this whole board has a different feel. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Because that's what happens when a team is 8-6 and literally 8-9 possessions from being 11-3 and ranked in top 20. At FSU and at Wiscy overtime....not to mention Northwestern. Just those 3 games this whole board has a different feel. 

Never fear...Underdog is here!

iu dog.png

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

We’re also 8-9 possessions in the PSU and NE games from what we are seeing here now being a church social compared to what it would be. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

We’re also 8-9 possessions in the PSU and NE games from what we are seeing here now being a church social compared to what it would be. 

Yep. Guess it just depends which way people look at things. Pedaling cynicism as wisdom crowd seems to be growing on here. 

13 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Saying our record is what it is is neither cynicism nor optimism. 

Understand. But when you point out the counter to a potentially positive comment (heaven forbid) it gives a tell so to speak...don't you think? No worries.

Back to Braden. He would say yes in point .000001 seconds if offered. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Understand. But when you point out the counter to a potentially positive comment (heaven forbid) it gives a tell so to speak...don't you think? No worries.

Back to Braden. He would say yes in point .000001 seconds if offered. 

I would point out the converse to either. I don’t want the record manipulated in either direction. 

As far as Braden goes, I only know about these kids what I read here. I just cheer for whoever shows up. 

Edited by Parakeet Jones
  • Like 3

Just now, Parakeet Jones said:

I would point out the converse to either. I don’t want record manipulated in either direction. 

As far as Braden goes, I only know about these kids what I read here. I just cheer for whoever shows up. 

Absolutely agree and to your point. I'm an optimist. Have no problem saying it. My only issue (and nothing personal to you) is that some of the negative folks on here don't like hearing what they are. Cynical, skeptical,etc...and somehow they don't like hearing what they are.

I know my side. I'll figure out a way as it relates to IU hoops to be as optimistic as I can until I can't. Shoot I remember sitting across the desk from Mike Davis 2 days after Oden/Conley said yes to Ohio St thinking ok...this is still our guy, this is still our guy...maybe because it was 4th of July week. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Obviously not a Cal fan. When Ayden was 1st diagnosed a guy I never met from KY that was a high school basketball coach sent out message to all coaches in the KY high school coaches association to pray for Ayden. Some how Cal found out and sent an autographed pic and basketball to Ayden and followed up with a phone call to talk with me. 2 years later there was a fund raiser for Aydens medical cost Cal donated a autographed ball and 4 tix lower level for a UK home game for the auction.  I have lots of stories like that about so many coaches. Cal, Crean and Buzz Williams took time to call and talk with me and CTC and Buzz still reach out time.to.time. 

That’s awesome...and also goes to show we may only get a small glimpse of what happens.

I don’t want to be negative but I’m sure the PR department does a wonderful job handling those type of issues for coaches. Getting balls and signatures and handling the mailing etc. those staffers are amazing. Things that actually take the coaches time...meet and greets, autograph sessions, events/ diners etc...that’s where you can really tell a lot about a guys character. 

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1