Braden Smith Commits to Purdue

10 hours ago, dgambill said:

That’s awesome...and also goes to show we may only get a small glimpse of what happens.

I don’t want to be negative but I’m sure the PR department does a wonderful job handling those type of issues for coaches. Getting balls and signatures and handling the mailing etc. those staffers are amazing. Things that actually take the coaches time...meet and greets, autograph sessions, events/ diners etc...that’s where you can really tell a lot about a guys character. 

Exactly.  CTC and Buzz went above and beyond by just taking the time to call or text to see how Ayden was and how I was doing. Lots of conversations over the years and never about basketball. Many people are that way but we don't get to hear those stories enough.  

I never want to see anyone lose their job that why I hate that things are not moving in the right direction for CAM. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, gnet550 said:

I don’t think this going to happen. He’s a nice player, but I don’t think he’s going to get the offer.

I don't either but this summer will be big for his recruitment. IU will need a point guard and he could fill that if others choose elsewhere and don't forget that Archie waited around to offer Phinisee, Leal, and Galloway so it might be to early to say for sure. 

On 2/8/2021 at 8:05 AM, DC2345 said:

I don't either but this summer will be big for his recruitment. IU will need a point guard and he could fill that if others choose elsewhere and don't forget that Archie waited around to offer Phinisee, Leal, and Galloway so it might be to early to say for sure. 

I don’t think it happens either...unless he grows a couple more inches. It just doesn’t fit Archies MO.

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I don’t think it happens either...unless he grows a couple more inches. It just doesn’t fit Archies MO.

He's shorter than the guys Archie usually targets other than Rob but he does have long arms which helps make up for the height. Which to be honest that's more important in some ways than a guys height especially on defense. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

He's shorter than the guys Archie usually targets other than Rob but he does have long arms which helps make up for the height. Which to be honest that's more important in some ways than a guys height especially on defense. 

Yeah...length can make a difference on defense but Archie just hasn’t seem to prioritize smaller guards unless they have freakish athleticism. You know I’m all for good fundamentals, smart kids that can shoot the rock and pass but you see what we are up against in the B1G...it’s a battle every night. We switch a lot too...going to be a long shot for him.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, dgambill said:

Yeah...length can make a difference on defense but Archie just hasn’t seem to prioritize smaller guards unless they have freakish athleticism. You know I’m all for good fundamentals, smart kids that can shoot the rock and pass but you see what we are up against in the B1G...it’s a battle every night. We switch a lot too...going to be a long shot for him.

Anybody here remember what I referred to back in the day as "The Twin Midgets" from Ohio St.?  They be Troy Taylor and Ron Stokes.  Both scored over 1,000 career points for the Bucks.  Size does not matter if you can play the game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rico said:

Anybody here remember what I referred to back in the day as "The Twin Midgets" from Ohio St.?  They be Troy Taylor and Ron Stokes.  Both scored over 1,000 career points for the Bucks.  Size does not matter if you can play the game.

some would say size matters. some would say it doesnt. it just depends on how you use it.

i mean him.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, rico said:

Jay Burson says hi.    And Calvin Murphy, Mugsy Bogues, Monte Towe, Spud Webb, Earl Boykins.

Edited by jv1972iu

So the question becomes is this kid “special” like really elite...because I do think smaller guys can be great...but if he is just good...small means just small...and that translates to exploited and problems. I don’t want a kid that “might” be able to overcome his size....I want a kid that I can see special written all over and he just happens to be smaller. I’ll trust you guys about his skill...because I don’t get to see much...and while I see talented young man...the B1G conference is a monster of a conference and we have seen avg point guard play and where it has gotten us. We need home run play from that position....and if that is Smith great...but we gotta have a stud at that position.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

So the question becomes is this kid “special” like really elite...because I do think smaller guys can be great...but if he is just good...small means just small...and that translates to exploited and problems. I don’t want a kid that “might” be able to overcome his size....I want a kid that I can see special written all over and he just happens to be smaller. I’ll trust you guys about his skill...because I don’t get to see much...and while I see talented young man...the B1G conference is a monster of a conference and we have seen avg point guard play and where it has gotten us. We need home run play from that position....and if that is Smith great...but we gotta have a stud at that position.

I haven't seen Smith play.but if he is like Foster Loyer at MSU I would pass.  Everytime I see Loyer play he gets abused on the defensive end of the court and don't provide enough offense to overcome that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I haven't seen Smith play.but if he is like Foster Loyer at MSU I would pass.  Everytime I see Loyer play he gets abused on the defensive end of the court and don't provide enough offense to overcome that.

IMO he is much better than Loyer. I think we will regret not offering if the staff decides not to. Kid can flat out play

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

IMO he is much better than Loyer. I think we will regret not offering if the staff decides not to. Kid can flat out play

Can he handle the ball, break a press, hit an open three, and hit a open foul shot? While at least staying in front of his man on defense and understanding rotations and how to feed the post? If so sign em up lol 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I haven't seen Loyer play much, but my comp would be a slightly shorter (6' vs 6'2 atm) more athletic Bryant McIntosh (from Greensburg played at NW). Winning IN HS players/leaders at good size schools (3A/4A) with vision and shooting. Smith led team in rebounds as freshman IIRC so he plays with tenacity that is evident when you watch him. Just plays to win.

Smith HS stats:

https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/braden-smith/P6_1FhtIEeiT-Oz0u-e-FA/default.htm

McIntosh HS stats:

https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/bryant-mcintosh/6xfnN_TxEeKZ5AAmVebBJg/default.htm

McIntosh NW stats:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/bryant-mcintosh-1.html

McIntosh NW highlights:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, cybergates said:

I haven't seen Loyer play much, but my comp would be a slightly shorter (6' vs 6'2 atm) more athletic Bryant McIntosh (from Greensburg played at NW). Winning IN HS players/leaders at good size schools (3A/4A) with vision and shooting. Smith led team in rebounds as freshman IIRC so he plays with tenacity that is evident when you watch him. Just plays to win.

Smith HS stats:

https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/braden-smith/P6_1FhtIEeiT-Oz0u-e-FA/default.htm

McIntosh HS stats:

https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/bryant-mcintosh/6xfnN_TxEeKZ5AAmVebBJg/default.htm

McIntosh NW stats:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/bryant-mcintosh-1.html

McIntosh NW highlights:

I've seen him play several times...this is a fantastic comparison! May even be a slightly better shooter than McIntosh was at the time...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

From what I see YES, he will either be a Hoosier or a Hoosier killer . 

I’m sure Rico can jump in on this because we’ve talked about it.  If you’ve been an IU fan for decades, you know what you said is like an article in the state constitution.  There are continually those players in state that either will be a Hoosier or Hoosier killer.  You said it perfectly.  It’s a constant.  For many years, I now try to identify the Hoosier killer like I have PTSD.

The list is endless of these guys.  

McIntosh is a great example. Funny, I was thinking of him too.  

My deal with Braden is I’m up here sitting in Chicago and not watching him play.  I admit that.  But from the clips and everything I’ve read about him, he’s a total bulldog.  My point is that when you have 13 schollies, I think about three of them can be used like “wild cards.”  Keep them available for some combination of a transfer, some stud from Europe or a decommit from elsewhere or whatever, and the bulldog, Indiana boy.  I bet Braden will be phenomenal in the locker room too.  

The trick might be figuring out the right kid and not Loyer who I do not think is a B1G caliber player.  One of the truly defining characteristics is the toughness to want to stick it to us.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Coach Robby said:

I've seen him play several times...this is a fantastic comparison! May even be a slightly better shooter than McIntosh was at the time...

McIntosh wasn’t a good shooter in high school, he was a clutch shooter but percentage wise was below average.  What separated McIntosh was his court vision and leadership.  Those and plus he played with 4 other D-1 college athletes on his high school team.

• Like 2