Braden Smith Commits to Purdue

7 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

How would his game compare to Brody Boyd? Similar size it appears. Smith plays against higher level talent than Boyd did in HS. At Iowa, Boyd became a 10 pt, 2 assist guy by his Jr-Sr years, but never shot a high %.

I coached against Brody and really really liked his game. I think BS is a better all around player but have not witnessed the range Brody had. I am not exaggerating when I say he was in range as soon as he crossed half court and it was not considered a bad shot.  I think BS is a little bigger than Brody 

• Like 3

So here's the issue to me...

I looked back at the past 15 NCAA champions and you rarely see a kid 6 foot or under in the rotation. There are a few, but they were all very highly rated (top 10) coming out of high school...

And as much as I love the kids like Jack Moore, Brody Boyd, and Jay Burson, what did they win? 

I want IU to be a national title contender, and I'm not sure you can have a kid that doesn't have really special talent at that size in your rotation. Foster Loyer is the perfect example. He was rated #77 coming out of high school with these stats...

26 points, 6 assists, 3.5 rebounds, 3.9 steals per game. Shooting over 90 percent from free-throw line.

But he's a liability on defense and his scoring just didn't translate to the college game...

I'll trust Archie on this one though...if he thinks the kid has a chance, I'm in...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Good research. If he were a little bigger I think he could be an Aaron Craft type of college player, who was a real thorn in our side.  

I stand by my comment that in a 13 scholarship environment, I think you can find a spot for him even if he’s a third point guard.  You don’t need 13 top 150 players.  I’ve argued you use 10-11 schollies on core recruits that fit prototype.  That leaves 2-3 scholarships for wildcards like if a European or top transfer fell into our laps, or if there is a kid with toughness and heart you want on your team and in the locker room.  

My memory can go back to Kyle Macy and Jerry Sichting as guys Knight wished he recruited harder.  But since my fandom in the mid 1970s, there are always those Indiana boy tough kids.  We produce them constantly. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Coach Robby said:

Michigan’s starting guards today were 5’11 and 6’1. I understand they have high quality bigs, but they get the job done.

Imagine if we had a competitive kid who is mentally tough at point guard, regardless of height. Somebody who could drill an open shot and fight, fight, fight, would be welcome.  It’s sorely lacking now.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

We thought that of Rob 3 years ago....just saying.

Unfortunately the mental toughness has not been consistent. I will take a guy who wants to be a HOOSIER all day long who has the ability. Will he make a consistent difference who knows. But I like his skill set and potential shooting ability and we need a core of hard nosed guys that will compete. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hoosier Daddy 4 said:

Unfortunately the mental toughness has not been consistent. I will take a guy who wants to be a HOOSIER all day long who has the ability. Will he make a consistent difference who knows. But I like his skill set and potential shooting ability and we need a core of hard nosed guys that will compete. 

Well said. He is worth taking a flyer on and I am sure he would force the coach to get him into the game. 

11 hours ago, Hoosier Daddy 4 said:

This was one of Jordan Hulls's attributes many undervalued.  He may have lacked certain physical or athletic attributes, but his mental toughness and competitiveness rubbed off on those around him. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Hoosierinbham said:

This was one of Jordan Hulls's attributes many undervalued.  He may have lacked certain physical or athletic attributes, but his mental toughness and competitiveness rubbed off on those around him. 

Certain players make those around them better some for their play some for the attributes you discussed and some from the way they handle all of it.  You cannot have too many of those kind of guys in your program. You have 13 spots this kid deserves 1 of them

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Certain players make those around them better some for their play some for the attributes you discussed and some from the way they handle all of it.  You cannot have too many of those kind of guys in your program. You have 13 spots this kid deserves 1 of them

Peyton Ramsey comes to mind.  But if I’m Smith I want to go somewhere and get starter minutes 

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

I will lose all faith in Archie if this kid does not get an offer.

Jordan Bohannon isn't exactly a towering guard and he has excelled at Iowa. If Braden is that strong of a shooter, as well as a distributor,  sign me up. His rebounding numbers tell he his tough and has high basketball acumen to be in the right place for missed shots.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Jordan Bohannon isn't exactly a towering guard and he has excelled at Iowa. If Braden is that strong of a shooter, as well as a distributor,  sign me up. His rebounding numbers tell he his tough and has high basketball acumen to be in the right place for missed shots.

Would be a huge miss!!!!!

• Like 1