Braden Smith Commits to Purdue

6 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

McIntosh wasn’t a good shooter in high school, he was a clutch shooter but percentage wise was below average.  What separated McIntosh was his court vision and leadership.  Those and plus he played with 4 other D-1 college athletes on his high school team.

That does not hurt at all for sure. He saw the floor as well as any player. 

21 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

What if I told you McIntosh was 2-4 against IU in his career?  

Not that I'm against taking a kid that would bring serious work ethic and not to proud to sit and work his way into minutes over 2 or 3 years.  

But he played at NW, he should have been 0-6 against IU. I would have taken McIntosh in a heartbeart

2 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Do you think it was a mistake to let Gus Echtison fly by without taking a harder look..i seen some highlights of him and he looks like a huge still for Western Michigan 

Maybe. Not seen enough to say but I have seen enough of BS to say if we don't offer I feel it will be a huge mistake.  IMO having BS in candy stripes would have more impact than IU getting TK. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coach Robby said:

No. He’s a great player. Attitude issues well before his fathers passing, and it’s worse now. Pray he figures it out.

I had a good friend who I played sports with.  His dad passed away.  We must have been sophomores so around 15 as I recall.  He punched a kid out in the middle of a game.  I was shocked.  But another friend and teammate reminded me that his dad had just died a couple of months earlier.  I’m not excusing any of it but that’s a very tough thing for a young man to go through and getting angry at the world can be a byproduct.    

Edited by BobSaccamanno

19 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I had a good friend who I played sports with.  His dad passed away.  We must have been sophomores so around 15 as I recall.  He punched a kid out in the middle of a game.  I was shocked.  But another friend and teammate reminded me that his dad had just died a couple of months earlier.  I’m not excusing any of it but that’s a very tough thing for a young man to go through and getting angry at the world can be a byproduct.    

I remember my sophomore year that our high school team had a player that lost his mother.  Where the problem came was in the sectional against New castle and one of the New castle players talked trash about our players mother dying.  After that happened it got real chippy and one of our players shoved the guy who was talking when he was going up for a layup.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Braden had 30/9/9 last night and Westfield won first conference title ever in 4A. I know why some coaches including IU aren't offering but man this kid can play. I'll be a fan wherever he ends up. 

CAM will be kicking himself if.he chooses not to offer. If Archie was at Dayton this kid would be a priority.  He is the type of kid Archie won with and the type that IU is missing in upper classmen.  I think some freshman have it but we need more

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

CAM will be kicking himself if.he chooses not to offer. If Archie was at Dayton this kid would be a priority.  He is the type of kid Archie won with and the type that IU is missing in upper classmen.  I think some freshman have it but we need more

I'm really torn. Kid has all the attributes we want in players....but size/strength to matchup with B10 guards? I don't know. Like I said. Really torn on this one.

Just now, Seeking6 said:

I'm really torn. Kid has all the attributes we want in players....but size/strength to matchup with B10 guards? I don't know. Like I said. Really torn on this one.

I get that he is not Jordy Hulls but playing for the team you WANT to play for is special.  Would Jordy have been the same player at another school. Maybe or maybe playing in state at home for a school you LOVE. I know he dreamed of playing for Duke.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Has this kid grown any? Still 5'10"?

Nope and that's the biggest obstacle. Maybe because Syracuse zone/length messed up our short guys (Yogi/Hulls) but I told myself after that game we can no longer have under 6 foot guards....and I battle that thought every time I see a kid like this play. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

How would his game compare to Brody Boyd? Similar size it appears. Smith plays against higher level talent than Boyd did in HS. At Iowa, Boyd became a 10 pt, 2 assist guy by his Jr-Sr years, but never shot a high %.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

How would his game compare to Brody Boyd? Similar size it appears. Smith plays against higher level talent than Boyd did in HS. At Iowa, Boyd became a 10 pt, 2 assist guy by his Jr-Sr years, but never shot a high %.

Just my 2 cent opinion. Braden is better in all facets of the game including leadership at the same time and like you said against much better competition.

Darn it. Now I'm going back to wanting this kid in an IU uniform badly.