Braden Smith Commits to Purdue

54 minutes ago, dgambill said:

If his best offer is Toledo he isn’t B1G caliber...sorry just a fact. Archie starts reaching for kids that aren’t getting power 6 offers then that is a sign he is desperate. Archie rarely is one of the first to offer a kid...especially state kid. Something may change but I doubt it. We already see where mid 150s and 250 ranked backcourt is getting us...we need elite talent if we want to win at a higher clip.

Starting to sound eerily similar to Creans final years

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUwins0708 said:

Starting to sound eerily similar to Creans final years

Yeah outside Romeo we just haven’t been able to land that dynamic playmaker. Someone that will break down a defense or can take his man and make shots. Armaan is coming along but man you try to make a living off developing guys in the 150-200 level and expect they develop and become an all conference player you are probably not going to succeed very often. Archie is just making his job so much more difficult. His margin for error is always so small. From the guys he recruits and expects to develop to the style of play. Just love his job get easier by having some talent advantages out there. 

• Like 2

Just now, dgambill said:

Yeah outside Romeo we just haven’t been able to land that dynamic playmaker. Someone that will break down a defense or can take his man and make shots. Armaan is coming along but man you try to make a living off developing guys in the 150-200 level and expect they develop and become an all conference player you are probably not going to succeed very often. Archie is just making his job so much more difficult. His margin for error is always so small. From the guys he recruits and expects to develop to the style of play. Just love his job get easier by having some talent advantages out there. 

To be fair, it isn't as though Miller hasn't recruited many top 50 or to 75 players. He just hasn't been very successful landing them. Which is on him but it shows that he does understand the level of talent he needs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, go_iu_bb said:

To be fair, it isn't as though Miller hasn't recruited many top 50 or to 75 players. He just hasn't been very successful landing them. Which is on him but it shows that he does understand the level of talent he needs.

Oh of course. To me it’s a signal about Archie. I can’t say for sure but I personally think he is just not flexible enough in his recruiting. He is so rigid with his system perhaps and not willing to compromise..I just don’t know but his seeming obsessive focus on just the defensive end just doesn’t seem to jive with most top 50 recruits. Whatever the case...I don’t expect UK level recruiting but IU has really never had an issue bringing in special talent. Davis, Sampson, Crean, Archie all have been able to land it but obviously when it isn’t happening at a high enough rate consecutively then problems happen. Archie isn’t Knight...he isn’t good enough to take mediocre talent and get them to the tournament. Most coaches to win at an elite level need elite talent. We’ve been able to land it in the past...I’m honestly surprised Archie hasn’t been able to land better out of state talent to go with our home grown kids.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Oh of course. To me it’s a signal about Archie. I can’t say for sure but I personally think he is just not flexible enough in his recruiting. He is so rigid with his system perhaps and not willing to compromise..I just don’t know but his seeming obsessive focus on just the defensive end just doesn’t seem to jive with most top 50 recruits. Whatever the case...I don’t expect UK level recruiting but IU has really never had an issue bringing in special talent. Davis, Sampson, Crean, Archie all have been able to land it but obviously when it isn’t happening at a high enough rate consecutively then problems happen. Archie isn’t Knight...he isn’t good enough to take mediocre talent and get them to the tournament. Most coaches to win at an elite level need elite talent. We’ve been able to land it in the past...I’m honestly surprised Archie hasn’t been able to land better out of state talent to go with our home grown kids.

Honestly Archie is a jerk, I’m sure he’s not that way to recruits but to many people he doesn’t have a great personality.  I thought that would work well for him at IU considering we had Knight but it hasn’t to date.  Knight would even cut up with the media a bit  but Archie is just stone cold all the time.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, IUwins0708 said:

Honestly Archie is a jerk, I’m sure he’s not that way to recruits but to many people he doesn’t have a great personality.  I thought that would work well for him at IU considering we had Knight but it hasn’t to date.  Knight would even cut up with the media a bit  but Archie is just stone cold all the time.  

Never met him nor heard this about him. If he isn’t personable then that is a huge problem. Maybe he comes from this famous basketball family and his brother has this huge job and maybe he just thinks he is superior to others. That would be disappointing. No wonder Ostrem has been the lead recruiter so often. I hate to hear this but personality is enormous in recruiting. Cal has it (if even a used car salesman), we know shucks old Williams has it. Pearl has it we’ve seen how he interacts. I’ve told stories about Self...very personable spending time signing autographs for little kids at a high school tournament. Even if it’s fake or an act you have to have it. Would explain some things if true. 

10 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I agree with all of that.

Several recruits have pointed to the offense as their reasoning. Also, he doesn't seem to have much personality so he doesn't come off as a great salesman. And that hurts when it sounds like he lets his assistants do most of the recruiting then he tries to come in at the end as a closer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Coach SS is out with the latest edition of his outstanding email newsletter.  I’m not going to re-hash all the details out of respect for his work,  but let’s just say he and I are on the same page regarding Smith. He likes him, thinks IU should recruit and offer him, and believes he can defend at the B1G level.  Sam is a member here.  Great stuff, Sam.  

All of the above are correct.  I thought he would be our 1st 22 commit 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, IUFLA said:

There...fixed that for you...

Bob Knight might have "cut up" with Hammel or Chuck Marlowe, but the rest he mocked incessantly (Game Face?). You're right, though...I have as yet to hear Archie compare the press to prostitutes, or say everyone learned to write in 2nd grade but went on to better things.

You seem to have an "in" to the program, attending practices and such. Maybe Archie has been "a jerk" to you personally? I don't know. If you're basing it on the press conferences we all see on YouTube, I, personally, don't think you have much of a leg to stand on. He seems very professional to the press in those.

Judging from what I've read, most people think he's pretty congenial when he visits a high school to evaluate a player, and I believe one poster here even said as much after seeing it in first person.

But this is the type of thing that really turns me off. The BS about lack of recruiting after landing the last 3 Indiana Mr Basketballs...The BS about lack of player development, even in the face of kids like Juwan Morgan, Race Thompson, and Armaan Franklin...

And now come the attacks on his personality...What's the over/under for him pushing an old lady or kicking a dog?

Archie Miller will ultimately succeed or fail based on his coaching success or failure...There's no need to manufacture things to pile on...

There’s an ignore/mute button.  Use it!  It’s pretty well known that Archie is this way in “alumni club” and was an issue from the beginning. Sorry for not being on a mediocre coaches side that doesn’t understand IU basketball.🙄

25 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

There’s an ignore/mute button.  Use it!  It’s pretty well known that Archie is this way in “alumni club” and was an issue from the beginning. Sorry for not being on a mediocre coaches side that doesn’t understand IU basketball.🙄

I live in Ohio and am not privileged to alumni relationships...could you give some examples of what you mean when you say that he is a jerk or has poor relationships?

7 minutes ago, mchenry34 said:

I live in Ohio and am not privileged to alumni relationships...could you give some examples of what you mean when you say that he is a jerk or has poor relationships?

Yes, on several alumni dinners where the coaches speak and then mingle with the major, high dollar donating alums he always seems to be the coach that is hard to find.  I’m not a major donor but I’ve been a guest to several of these dinners and let’s just say he and Tom Allen are polar opposites.  Tom is engaging and “works the room” for lack of a better term and makes it point to go to every person or table he can.  Archie on the other hand gives his speech and basically disappears.  He’s even not shown up to a couple of these, which to a lot of the big money guys is a major problem.  If he were winning at a hire rate would this be an issue? Hell no! He’s not however

Edit- I understand people are different but it’s really awkward for the coach of the flagstaff program to be this way to basically the people that write his checks.  I believe I’ve seen a few other members of this board at a few of these and they had the same feelings.  I’ll let them decide if they want to put their names out or not.

Edited by IUwins0708
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I mean, it's kinda weird that a rich guy needs to work the crowd of rich guys but he's kinda like the hired help of the super rich guys.  Maybe he thinks, I don't need to kiss your a.  However, he needs to grow and this is an area he may need some growth.  

Happens at every college. It’s part of the job at this level.  

• Like 1

Another example that I was given from a member of this board which I just found out, and frankly the worst one I’ve heard, he turned down 4-5 kids at a high school game for an autograph.  Worst part is, one of the kids he turned down was a sibling of a kid he was there watching....😳😳.  I’m trying to find out which recruit it was/is.  

• Sad 4

33 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Yes, on several alumni dinners where the coaches speak and then mingle with the major, high dollar donating alums he always seems to be the coach that is hard to find.  I’m not a major donor but I’ve been a guest to several of these dinners and let’s just say he and Tom Allen are polar opposites.  Tom is engaging and “works the room” for lack of a better term and makes it point to go to every person or table he can.  Archie on the other hand gives his speech and basically disappears.  He’s even not shown up to a couple of these, which to a lot of the big money guys is a major problem.  If he were winning at a hire rate would this be an issue? Hell no! He’s not however

Edit- I understand people are different but it’s really awkward for the coach of the flagstaff program to be this way to basically the people that write his checks.  I believe I’ve seen a few other members of this board at a few of these and they had the same feelings.  I’ll let them decide if they want to put their names out or not.

Thanks for the response!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Another example that I was given from a member of this board which I just found out, and frankly the worst one I’ve heard, he turned down 4-5 kids at a high school game for an autograph.  Worst part is, one of the kids he turned down was a sibling of a kid he was there watching....😳😳.  I’m trying to find out which recruit it was/is.  

Jeez. I thought he just didn't have much personality/charisma. He seems to be an introvert. This and your other post make it seem like it goes deeper than that. There's nothing wrong with being an introvert, I'm one myself, but if you take a job that requires you to interact with people you need to do that. I intentionally went into a field that would allow me to not have to interact with large groups and the public. He chose to be a basketball coach and accepted a job at a major university with a large fan base. That requires interacting with more than just the players and coaching staff. He knew he'd have to do speeches and mingle with donors. He knew he'd have to interact with fans and that autographs and pictures would be expected. It sounds like he's doing about as good of job at those things as he is at putting a winning product on the floor.

Let us know if you find out which recruit that was. That can't have made a very good impression. Especially if it was only 4-5 kids he'd have to sign autographs for and not 100.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, go_iu_bb said:

Jeez. I thought he just didn't have much personality/charisma. He seems to be an introvert. This and your other post make it seem like it goes deeper than that. There's nothing wrong with being an introvert, I'm one myself, but if you take a job that requires you to interact with people you need to do that. I intentionally went into a field that would allow me to not have to interact with large groups and the public. He chose to be a basketball coach and accepted a job at a major university with a large fan base. That requires interacting with more than just the players and coaching staff. He knew he'd have to do speeches and mingle with donors. He knew he'd have to interact with fans and that autographs and pictures would be expected. It sounds like he's doing about as good of job at those things as he is at putting a winning product on the floor.

Let us know if you find out which recruit that was. That can't have made a very good impression. Especially if it was only 4-5 kids he'd have to sign autographs for and not 100.

I’m never feeling sorry for a guy who gets paid the amount of money he does for coaching a kids game.  I can personally deal with him being less than outgoing to other adults, but to do that to kids is beyond ridiculous.  If the member will reveal I will gladly share.  I do know it’s an indiana kid but unsure of which one.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I’m never feeling sorry for a guy who gets paid the amount of money he does for coaching a kids game.  I can personally deal with him being less than outgoing to other adults, but to do that to kids is beyond ridiculous.  If the member will reveal I will gladly share.  I do know it’s an indiana kid but unsure of which one.

Being a silver creek guy, I have seen pictures on Facebook of friends with their kids with Archie.  

Just now, IUwins0708 said:

I have too, several of them.  This could be an isolated incident but still not a good look. 

I'm trying to remember but I feel like that story was maybe a regional or a bankers life event and then it was negated by someone saying they saw him signing a bunch.  May have caught him at a bad time or it could have been causing a disruption.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I'm trying to remember but I feel like that story was maybe a regional or a bankers life event and then it was negated by someone saying they saw him signing a bunch.  May have caught him at a bad time or it could have been causing a disruption.  

Fair point.

7 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Could’ve been, I hope so.