Braden Smith Commits to Purdue

Well...unless Coach wants to over commit...we don't have an open scholarship in 22 for him. Now granted. Very very likely to lose several kids next year but just saying we technically have 13 committed. I think we will be very choosey in giving out any others to the 22 class because we can't be sure how everything shakes out. This whole covid extra year thing definitely throws a wrench into things. Not knowing what the roster will look like can make it difficult to offer a kid who might commit right away.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

I've watched Braden for a few years. I'm torn. He absolutely has what we want....he also has App St and IUPUI as his highest suitors. He might be one of those go somewhere else and transfer in 2 years type of players since the NCAA has set in motion the lower programs are basically feeder programs for P5. I'll be cheering for him wherever he lands for sure.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I've watched Braden for a few years. I'm torn. He absolutely has what we want....he also has App St and IUPUI as his highest suitors. He might be one of those go somewhere else and transfer in 2 years type of players since the NCAA has set in motion the lower programs are basically feeder programs for P5. I'll be cheering for him wherever he lands for sure.

Unfortunately I think you’re right. The extra year and portal killed those tweener chances 

6 minutes ago, Coach Robby said:

Not necessarily yet, but a lot more attractive options are available due to extra year and portal. I've wanted him for a couple years now. 

I bet we take a good look.  Matta is also working behind the scenes.  He had Aaron Craft and knows how productive he was. I bet he makes a good evaluation on Braden and how his skill set translates to the B1G.

I wonder if we are still in on Avery Brown (I hope I have the name right), the point guard from the northeast?  We seemed to be making headway under the old staff.  We need a PG in this class in my estimation.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I bet we take a good look.  Matta is also working behind the scenes.  He had Aaron Craft and knows how productive he was. I bet he makes a good evaluation on Braden and how his skill set translates to the B1G.

I wonder if we are still in on Avery Brown (I hope I have the name right), the point guard from the northeast?  We seemed to be making headway under the old staff.  We need a PG in this class in my estimation.  

I want one in every class lol 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

IU is still in the mix with Brown. Hunter is recruiting him. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Coach Robby said:

Not necessarily yet, but a lot more attractive options are available due to extra year and portal. I've wanted him for a couple years now. 

There is always a local kid who I wish IU would have pushed harder for who goes elsewhere and ends up very successful. One who comes to mind most for me is Kellen Dunham. Would have LOVED him at IU over Buss Patterson and Hollowell. That in-state class was LOADED but sadly we ended up only hitting on Yogi. Behind Yogi, Gary Harris and Glenn Robinson, I always felt Kellen was next best.  

• Like 4

Just now, Piston Honda said:

There is always a local kid who I wish IU would have pushed harder for who goes elsewhere and ends up very successful. One who comes to mind most for me is Kellen Dunham. Would have LOVED him at IU over Buss Patterson and Hollowell. That in-state class was LOADED but sadly we ended up only hitting on Yogi. Behind Yogi, Gary Harris and Glenn Robinson, I always felt Kellen was next best.  

we played them 1-2 x per year. He lit us up for 45 on his senior night. Knew he'd be a big time scorer at Butler.  

On 4/20/2021 at 9:18 PM, Coach Robby said:

Unfortunately I think you’re right. The extra year and portal killed those tweener chances 

I'm no Coach when it comes to basketball but this kid has what this IU team has been missing for a long while and that's a pure INDIANA bred, got nothing else to do but spend lone nights shooting baskets with the moon/stars, high basketball IQ kind of talent!!!  Too long now we been chasing that jump out of the gym athleticism that couldn't hit water if they fell into the Pacific and I cannot understand this philosophy.  Granted I never seen Smith play live but the video shows me the stop and pop, quick shot off the bounce, get my teammates involved with assists, high level of BB IQ that this fanbase has been salivating over for a long time.  I'm reaching out to you for your assessment as I value your input as a coach at this level and what am I missing here?  Size?  Give me heart and soul any day and I show you a winner.

On 3/5/2020 at 6:35 PM, 5 championships said:

Very skilled but are we sure he is going to be athletic enough to play at the BIG level?

How did our elite athletic in state recruits for the past 4 yrs work out at the BIG level?  They didn't because none of them can shoot the dang ball or have this high of basketball IQ that this kid possesses.  He is a BALLER regardless of size and may struggle a bit early as a FR but after that this kid can be special so I hope we don't overlook due to size.  EYE TEST is all I need.

On 6/15/2020 at 9:09 PM, dgambill said:

I don’t know how to root for that. He is rated the best pg in his class nationally. His goal is to get to the nba as soon as possible. If he doesn’t go in 2 years that would mean he isn’t living up to his ranking and probably not playing well here. It would be good to have him around longer but it is also a problem. Player of his caliber should be getting drafted in the first rd after a couple years.

This has been our biggest obstacle in recruiting the last 4 yrs and that is the recruits haven't lived up to their hype or reached their projected ceilings as planned.  I remember hearing that Jerome Hunter was the best player on the court and that was with Romeo Langford whom was supposed to be the next Star.  Mediocre FR season for Langford and Hunter has yet to become anything relevant.  Heck how many games last season did Rob P & Jerome H combine for 5 pts or less in a dismal loss?  Both expected to be major contributors.  Leal, Lander and Galloway have yet to make a household name for themselves or least in the limited action of what I saw as I couldn't stomach much but the fact with TJD we didn't even make the tourney and finished close to the bottom of the BIG says they are all lightyears away from being special if they will at all?  Smith shows he has the elite talent on tape and that is hitting shots on all spots on the court with little to no separation while also having a special skillset to pass the ball to open teammates for an easy assist.  I never watched film on Lander but I can't imagine having the same impression as I do watching Smith's and he was projected to be a 2 yr player at best?  

On 7/1/2020 at 1:07 PM, BobSaccamanno said:

Somebody may recall the details better than me, but we’ve heard that Archie really likes him.  I think the story was something like Braden visited for a game, and afterwards Archie said he liked him and didn’t care how tall he was.  

I have not seen the kid in person so it’s hard to get a good gauge on this from clips, but he looks physically strong and tough.  It looks like his core is especially solid.  My thinking is everything starts with the core,  Being a tough, strong guard can be a plus.  There’s more than one way to skin a cat, and not everybody needs to be long, lean and an electric athlete.

As for ranking, I truly don’t care other than a curiosity.  I, like others, tend to think he won’t be top 150.  The ratings “gurus” tend to overrate physical athleticism and length, and underestimate the “it factor” and the kid that just has that indescribable winning gene.  There are plenty of good athletes that play basketball that end up rated 75 or whatever because they fit the profile.  But they may not have what I referred to as the “it factor.”  They run around, look good physically, but just don’t have the knack to make those winning plays. 

Let me ask you one question, do you see a lack of size when watching his tape?  Do you see his size as being a negative for the BIG10 level of play and a reason not to offer?  Do you see a low level ranking player when you watch the tape, the kind that commits to Indiana Wesleyan?  

I'm gonna go out on a limb and answer NO to all the above and not one time did this kids size even became a focal point because he plays much bigger than the his opponent.  Stop and pop at will, quickness to drive to the lane, vision to pass to an open teammate and even have the IQ to step in the passing lane for a quick steal.  6-4 or 5-10 doesn't matter as long as you have this skillset correct?  Anybody on our current roster with this resume?  NOPE

On 3/30/2021 at 4:35 PM, Hoosier51 said:

This kid seems like he could be a Jordy Hulls type player. Would be a nice get.

I love Jordy H to the max but this comparison is selling Smith wayyyyy short.  Smith has a complete game and its a matter of time before this new staff make him priority 1!  If you like Hulls, just wait till you get a load of Smith!!!

On 3/30/2021 at 8:35 PM, Coach Robby said:

Tom Coverdale minus the Budweiser good? A capable shooting point guard? Who will make 37-42% of 3’s in college off the catch? I’m in. 

Coach, that is the comparison I have too and its the GRIT that both players possess.  I think Smith has a higher overall grade than ole Tom C but I see the same fire inside that this team has lacked since.  Coincidence, last time IU had this type player they played in the National Championship?  NO, he IMO is a must get and I would hate to lose him to Tony B at Virginia as he has our Indiana kids in his sights!!!  40+% off the catch or bounce he is says Yoda so hopefully CMW does too!!

Edited by BornHoosier

On 4/18/2021 at 8:18 PM, dgambill said:

I think with the new focus of the staff and their connections....they are on bigger fish.

When will the bigger fish finally feed the colony?  Rob P, Jerome H, Race T, Kristian L, Trey G, Anthony L to name a few.  I will be glad if whoever they land in Smith's place, ACTUALLY performs to their ranking and/or ceiling or projections.  Way too many prospects for IU not living up to their hype.  As much as I LOVE TJD, most said he was a 1-2 yr player at most but yet we all know that unless he develops a jump shot he is not NBA ready.  Cody Z, Noah V, Romeo L all left early before they were truly ready and some could argue they have yet to show they are ready at the next level.  Hope we dont pass on this kid for bigger fish that never reach their potential at weigh in!

On 4/19/2021 at 9:37 AM, dgambill said:

We've heard how great Yasir is....he is supposedly a pg guru with ties to top recruits. You think he is going to dig for a local diamond in the rough? He wasn't a priority for the Archie staff...you think THIS staff will prioritize him? I do think he is a great HS player...I think he will make a solid college player. But we are told we just landed this all-star staff.....I just don't think they are going to prioritize an under ranked recruit. We are going to go after the elite recruits...the ones that Archie couldn't land but we should have a shot with now that Yasir and Hunter are on staff. In a day and age where the transfer portal is so active and player movement is so easy I do think it is important to supplement your team with kids that are LOYAL to IU. That IU is where they want to go to school for more than just playing time...else we won't see any 4 year players anymore. Guys like Leal and Galloway...and I think Smith would be as well...but this kid would get buried for a few years on the rosters that Woodson is building....I do think he would stick it out but the guys that we are bringing in and targeting...I think IU will continue to look outside the state to build its team. Honestly, I'm surprised that Gunn is deciding to stay committed because I think the staff would like to use that offer on better talent. Maybe I'm wrong and even though we have Fife and Woodson who are IU legacy and one is Indiana born...I don't even think they will put the emphasis on the state that Archie did.

Guys like Leal and Galloway will get buried and don't be surprised if either is pushed out but don't put Smith in this category due to his lack of offers which is mind boggling.  Did Leal or Galloway have tape that showed this type of talent and that is to hit from a long distance to the rim off his own dribble or bounce?  A stop and pop from anywhere on the court?  40+% from 3pt for that matter?  45%, just checking.  The ability to not only shoot from his own creation but to see the floor and make assist passes like Isaiah Thomas or Magic Johnson?  Did you see any of that talent when you watched Landers highlights from a yr ago?  

17 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

When will the bigger fish finally feed the colony?  Rob P, Jerome H, Race T, Kristian L, Trey G, Anthony L to name a few.  I will be glad if whoever they land in Smith's place, ACTUALLY performs to their ranking and/or ceiling or projections.  Way too many prospects for IU not living up to their hype.  As much as I LOVE TJD, most said he was a 1-2 yr player at most but yet we all know that unless he develops a jump shot he is not NBA ready.  Cody Z, Noah V, Romeo L all left early before they were truly ready and some could argue they have yet to show they are ready at the next level.  Hope we dont pass on this kid for bigger fish that never reach their potential at weigh in!

I’ll save my breath. You clearly have this recruiting thing down. Wake me up when the kid has an offer from another power 5 school or better yet a B1G school. I do think he is a great player but let’s not mistaken “interest” for an offer. Nothing wrong with mid major basketball. That’s incredible! So it’s not disrespectful to be of the opinion that is the likely avenue. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

I’ll save my breath. You clearly have this recruiting thing down. Wake me up when the kid has an offer from another power 5 school or better yet a B1G school. I do think he is a great player but let’s not mistaken “interest” for an offer. Nothing wrong with mid major basketball. That’s incredible! So it’s not disrespectful to be of the opinion that is the likely avenue. 

I apologize, just a few too many adult beverages on the Friday night lanes got me fired up.  After watching Archie ball for the last 4 yrs and the lack of pure shooting on this team from many that were considered 4* recruits, I just don't get the lack of interest in a kid that can score from anywhere on the court at will. 

Edited by BornHoosier
  • Like 1