Braden Smith Commits to Purdue

We haven't had a true prolific, stop and pop or a cross over step back 3 pt shooter on this roster since Yogi and it's no coincidence we haven't made the dance since.  If this is a 5 star, 6-4 stud or a 2 star, mid major, 5-10 hopeful, I don't care as long as they get the job done.  Yogi was under 5'9" and what he brought to the table offensively easily outweighed any deficiencies on defense much like Smith will do too.  26pts per game is on the same level as Michael Jordan, Lebron James, James Harden and the late Kobe Bryant so please don't forget about that comparison even if it is at a different level.  45% from beyond the arc is in the Seth Curry comparison too as an added bonus.  These stats, even if at the high school level, are still on par with the greatest to ever play the game which is why I truly can't believe the lack of buzz from being Caucasian and 6'.

Edited by BornHoosier
  • Confused 2

Player A stats

ppg defr offr rpg apg spg bpg tpg pfpg

22.0 3.0 1.3 4.3 3.7 2.2 0.3 2.3 3.3

Player A 3pt % = 37%

Player B stats

22.0 4.6 0.8 5.4 6.2 2.7 0.6 2.7 2.2

Player B 3pt % = 45%

Which player is a 5 star and projected by many to jump to the NBA after just 2 short yrs of College and which player is projected to be just a MID MAJOR talent with little to no hope for NBA aspirations?

Hint, one stands at 6'2" tall (tall enough to defend in the BIG) and the other is at 6' (too short to defend anybody in the power 5 conf).  Yes, just 2" is the deciding factor here by some that dictates NBA potential vs nothing more than a Mid Major offer.  

And now for the spoiler alert:

https://www.ncsasports.org/mens-basketball-recruiting/indiana/westfield/westfield-high-school5/braden--smith1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pQPHbau8MI

Who am I?  Were talking just a 2" difference in height but way different projections even know both put up the same numbers throughout their high school career.  

Edited by BornHoosier

7 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

Player A stats

22.0 3.0 1.3 4.3 3.7 2.2 0.3 2.3 3.3

Player A 3pt % = 37%

Player B stats

22.0 4.6 0.8 5.4 6.2 2.7 0.6 2.7 2.2

Player B 3pt % = 45%

Which player is a 5 star and projected by many to jump to the NBA after just 2 short yrs of College and which player is projected to be just a MID MAJOR talent with little to no hope for NBA aspirations?

Hint, one stands at 6'2" tall (tall enough to defend in the BIG) and the other is at 6' (too short to defend anybody in the power 5 conf).  Yes, just 2" is the deciding factor here by some that dictates NBA potential vs nothing more than a Mid Major offer.  

And now for the spoiler alert:

https://www.ncsasports.org/mens-basketball-recruiting/indiana/westfield/westfield-high-school5/braden--smith1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pQPHbau8MI

Who am I?  Were talking just a 2" difference in height but way different projections even know both put up the same numbers throughout their high school career.  

Player B also plays in Indy :)

• Like 1

What about Rodney Rice, Noah Clooney, Juilian Philips and Kaleb Banks? I would like to see at least 2 of these guys play for our Hoosiers but I don’t know much about them other than they seem to fit Woody’s profile of a player that would fit his system 

• Like 3

On 4/25/2021 at 12:21 AM, BornHoosier said:

We haven't had a true prolific, stop and pop or a cross over step back 3 pt shooter on this roster since Yogi and it's no coincidence we haven't made the dance since.  If this is a 5 star, 6-4 stud or a 2 star, mid major, 5-10 hopeful, I don't care as long as they get the job done.  Yogi was under 5'9" and what he brought to the table offensively easily outweighed any deficiencies on defense much like Smith will. These stats, even if at the high school level, are still on par with the greatest to ever play the game which is why I truly can't believe the lack of buzz from being Caucasian and 6'.

OK, against my better judgement I’ll bite.

Yogi was a 5 star, 2nd ranked PG in the nation, recruit in high school that now plays in the NBA. If Smith was my kid I would be very proud of his 20 per game but a ton of kids across the country do that every year. I think your Yogi vs Smith comparison is, to say the least, a bit of a stretch.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

Yogi was a 5 star, 2nd ranked PG in the nation, recruit in high school that now plays in the NBA. If Smith was my kid I would be very proud of his 20 per game but a ton of kids across the country do that every year. I think your Yogi vs Smith comparison is, to say the least, a bit of a stretch.

Probably, but it’s also a stretch to suggest he’s just another “20 point per game kid across the country”. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, IU878176 said:

man.. you're just looking at the ranking. 22p 6a 5r playing in Hamilton Co isn't something that just "a ton of kids across the country" can do. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Cutter said:

What about Rodney Rice, Noah Clooney, Juilian Philips and Kaleb Banks? I would like to see at least 2 of these guys play for our Hoosiers but I don’t know much about them other than they seem to fit Woody’s profile of a player that would fit his system 

I will take Braden Smith... and go from there. 

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I guess. This is Smith's thread btw. 

I know who the thread is about i don’t put people on a pedestal like some here do! The truth is he may or may not get an offer and I don’t really care as that is not my job to promote specific people for my self interest. Bye only positive comments are allowed by you I guess fu

Edited by Cutter
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

4 minutes ago, Cutter said:

I know who the thread is about i don’t put people on a pedestal like some here do! The truth is he may or may not get an offer and I don’t really care as that is not my job to promote specific people for my self interest. Bye only positive comments are allowed by you I guess fu

Jesus. 

Can't believe I'm actually going to respond... but are you insinuating I am promoting Braden Smith for my own self interest? 

Edited by btownqb