Braden Smith Commits to Purdue

Just now, Boiler Sam said:

HEY!! 😀

I like him offensively, but his size concerns me on defense. Looks like a Fran prospect to me. 

He'll be 6'1-6'2 185lbs before he plays his first college game. Seems adequate size to me. I would say his defense would be his weakest part of his game, he does an excellent job of rotating though. I watched his entire regular season Carmel game last week... he understands that in bunches. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

There is no project IMO, his defense will be fine. He is much more athletic than people give him credit for. If PU gets this kid I will not be happy.

I actually said Fran “prospect” not project. Looks like a kid he would love. Great handler and shooter, and maybe just adequate defensively.

Athletically, he seems fine, he just looks smaller than most B1G guards. Guys built like Isaiah Thompson and Jordan Hulls can tend to get abused on the defensive end. 

But he is 18 months away from playing, so lot of time to get stronger. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

I actually said Fran “prospect” not project. Looks like a kid he would love. Great handler and shooter, and maybe just adequate defensively.

Athletically, he seems fine, he just looks smaller than most B1G guards. Guys built like Isaiah Thompson and Jordan Hulls can tend to get abused on the defensive end. 

Oh he's way ahead of Hulls physically. I don't disagree with what you're saying, but they are nothing alike as a player. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

Smith is built well whereas Thompson is a string bean haha. 

• Like 1

Just now, Stlboiler23 said:

Foe those that have watched both play, how does Smith compare/contrast to Hulls? For me, it appears Hulls is the better shooter but that Smith is bigger/stronger with a better overall floor game. Smith probably has more potential on defense than Hulls?

They aren't really alike at all. Smith is like a Bryant McIntosh type, but a better shooter at this point. Hulls was never a PG, essentially. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

I got you. I can see that. He better be a Hoosier

18 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I heard a comparison of being somewhat of a mix of a PJ Thompson/Chris Kramer. 

Seems more offensively skilled than Chris Kramer, and I don't remember PJ Thompson. I don't overly love comparisons, but he is Tom Coverdale(ish) but a tick quicker. 

Edited by btownqb

Put me in the wait and see camp. I have no clue who is on Yasir/Hunter/Fife/Woodson recruiting board but I have a feeling they are looking at some next level kids in relation to Smith. If I had Archie level coaching and team I would say no doubt we have to have this kid. We've been lacking what he has. I've got more faith that Woody and company can bring in kids with the same motor...with the same tenacity with the same fortitude and yet with more size, athleticism, smarts. This kid doesn't have monopoly on all those traits. He has already brought in that with Bates and Johnson. There are kids out there just as tough, just as determined, just as scrappy....and yet more skilled and more athletic. I didn't think we could land those kids under Archie...but I do think we can under Woody. If he can't find one then I certainly think he will offer Smith. Kid might grow and well he may not....it's getting pretty late in the game for that. I trusted Archie at the first and then slowly I saw he didn't live up to the expectations...but I've got even more hope in Woody. Woody has coached the best in the world. He's seen up close what makes guys great...he knows who to go after. If that ends up being Smith I'm for it...if not I know he is going to find one equal if not better.

Edited by dgambill

7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Put me in the wait and see camp. I have no clue who is on Yasir/Hunter/Fife/Woodson recruiting board but I have a feeling they are looking at some next level kids in relation to Smith. If I had Archie level coaching and team I would say no doubt we have to have this kid. We've been lacking what he has. I've got more faith that Woody and company can bring in kids with the same motor...with the same tenacity with the same fortitude and yet with more size, athleticism, smarts. This kid doesn't have monopoly on all those traits. He has already brought in that with Bates and Johnson. There are kids out there just as tough, just as determined, just as scrappy....and yet more skilled and more athletic. I didn't think we could land those kids under Archie...but I do think we can under Woody. If he can't find one then I certainly think he will offer Smith. Kid might grow and well he may not....it's getting pretty late in the game for that. I trusted Archie at the first and then slowly I saw he didn't live up to the expectations...but I've got even more hope in Woody. Woody has coached the best in the world. He's seen up close what makes guys great...he knows who to go after. If that ends up being Smith I'm for it...if not I know he is going to find one equal if not better.

You find some that are more skilled I would love to see them play. That would be a treat. 

9 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Next level? Meaning what? Athletically? This kid will hold his own. 

• Like 1