Braden Smith Commits to Purdue

Just now, hoosier_exotics said:

How much better can Smith get? How much better can Lander get?  A lot of this recruiting stuff is just like the NBA, based on potential... 

Pretty stupid if you ask me. 

I completely understand the NBA drafting on potential. You have to be a top athlete in the NBA first and foremost. For your questions.. I have no idea how much better each can get, that'll be up to them. 

1 minute ago, hoosier_exotics said:

How much better can Smith get? How much better can Lander get?  A lot of this recruiting stuff is just like the NBA, based on potential... 

Unless 1 of them gets an outside shot he will not be.much of a threat.  I don't see him getting to the rim at the Big level if teams back off him like they did Romeo.

I think the other one will shock people with his ability to get his own shot. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Pretty stupid if you ask me. 

I completely understand the NBA drafting on potential. You have to be a top athlete in the NBA first and foremost. For your questions.. I have no idea how much better each can get, that'll be up to them. 

I don't disagree with you.  Just pointing out that physical limitations weigh into recruiting. 

Nic Moore played here at Warsaw and was phenomenal.  I think he could have played just about anywhere in college,  but his height kept the power houses away

Edited by hoosier_exotics
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Unless 1 of them gets an outside shot he will not be.much of a threat.  I don't see him getting to the rim at the Big level if teams back off him like they did Romeo.

I think the other one will shock people with his ability to get his own shot. 

You have to crowd Smith so much that it feels like he even more athletic than he actually is. Doug McDermott is a lot like that. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

You find some that are more skilled I would love to see them play. That would be a treat. 

I think you are in for a treat...I think unfortunately we've had our Crean/Archie glasses on for too long. I think....we are about to see some fun Indiana basketball in the next several years...a lot of special kids out there my friend...and I think we are finally going to land some. Who knows...maybe Smith might be along for the ride...but I've seen that same drive to win, to compete in some really special kids. That dog if you will....been awhile since we've seen any at IU so I can understand why we are desperate for a local kid that has it. But I 100% believe there are kids with those same characteristics on top of the talent, size, and athleticism and we are going to finally get in on some. If not...no doubt I want Smith here. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

He is 6'8, so that helps lol 

I was following along with your desire for the kid...I like his spirit. I like his court vision and shooting...but I did get lost in the Doug McDormett comparison lol. Like 1 is approximately 6'0...and the other is 6'8...and yes they both are sneaky athletic but dang...sneaky athletic 6'8 kid has infinitely more potential then a 6'0 lol. One can perhaps get free a bit, but still won't be able to finish at the rim in college and even if they get free with their shot will have a hand in his face because he is undersized...it's exactly the opposite for the other lol. Anyways...it appears the kid is starting to get B1G offers. Count me officially intrigued...but man..still have my reservations.

Just now, dgambill said:

I was following along with your desire for the kid...I like his spirit. I like his court vision and shooting...but I did get lost in the Doug McDormett comparison lol. Like 1 is approximately 6'0...and the other is 6'8...and yes they both are sneaky athletic but dang...sneaky athletic 6'8 kid has infinitely more potential then a 6'0 lol. One can perhaps get free a bit, but still won't be able to finish at the rim in college and even if they get free with their shot will have a hand in his face because he is undersized...it's exactly the opposite for the other lol. Anyways...it appears the kid is starting to get B1G offers. Count me officially intrigued...but man..still have my reservations.

I'm saying... when you are an elite shooters: Braden Smith, Doug McD... you have to crowd them SO much, that they will drive around/look more athletic/back cut you more, simply because you have to crowd them so much. Like Doug isn't very athletic, but his athleticism is amplified because you have to body him up so much and you don't leave yourself any wiggle room. 

Smith is going to be to finish at the rim... it'll be by floaters and being crafty. He isn't going to be looking to score every time he gets to the rim either, see Yogi. 

The ability to finish at the rim wasn't what I was mentioning. The fact that you can't give them any space, so they do actually get past people even though they aren't "uber athletes." Like Rob Phinisee for example.. he gets around essentially no one because he can't shoot, so people sag off him, but Yogi lived in the lane, even though he was smaller.. why? because of his ability to hit the 3 ball. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I'm saying... when you are an elite shooters: Braden Smith, Doug McD... you have to crowd them SO much, that they will drive around/look more athletic/back cut you more, simply because you have to crowd them so much. Like Doug isn't very athletic, but his athleticism is amplified because you have to body him up so much and you don't leave yourself any wiggle room. 

Smith is going to be to finish at the rim... it'll be by floaters and being crafty. He isn't going to be looking to score every time he gets to the rim either, see Yogi. 

The ability to finish at the rim wasn't what I was mentioning. The fact that you can't give them any space, so they do actually get past people even though they aren't "uber athletes." Like Rob Phinisee for example.. he gets around essentially no one because he can't shoot, so people sag off him, but Yogi lived in the lane, even though he was smaller.. why? because of his ability to hit the 3 ball. 

I guess we will find out. I think Smith's quickness/athleticism is not on Yogi's level. Maybe that is just me. I think his size and athleticism is much better than 90% of the guys he faces in high school...but once he get's to college...I'm thinking he is going to be out matched a great deal. Agree that shooting buys you spacing for sure...but only so much...and the advantage it might gain him I'm not sure is enough for him to get around his man or get his shot off when he is giving up 2-3 inches, 10-15lbs and still isn't faster than his opponent. He is definitely one that could be a difference maker in 3-4 years but I don't see underclassman Smith being Yogi caliber....and especially the leap that Yogi made from freshman to sophomore. Anyways..that's what the coaches get paid for. They will project what he would add to the team and make the offer or not. Then it will be up to him if he wants to sit or play right away etc etc.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

I guess we will find out. I think Smith's quickness/athleticism is not on Yogi's level. Maybe that is just me. I think his size and athleticism is much better than 90% of the guys he faces in high school...but once he get's to college...I'm thinking he is going to be out matched a great deal. Agree that shooting buys you spacing for sure...but only so much...and the advantage it might gain him I'm not sure is enough for him to get around his man or get his shot off when he is giving up 2-3 inches, 10-15lbs and still isn't faster than his opponent. He is definitely one that could be a difference maker in 3-4 years but I don't see underclassman Smith being Yogi caliber....and especially the leap that Yogi made from freshman to sophomore. Anyways..that's what the coaches get paid for. They will project what he would add to the team and make the offer or not. Then it will be up to him if he wants to sit or play right away etc etc.

He won't be giving up any weight by the time he gets here. More than possible he's 6'2 185lbs as a FR. I don't think he will be as good as Yogi, probably not all that close. I was just giving an attribute that they both shared. 

He's 6'-6'1 170-175lbs... how in the world is his size better than 90% of the people he faces? Almost all the HS we played this year had 3 kids starting that were 6'3 or taller. Plenty of teams went 6'2, 6'4, 6'5, 6'6 in their starting lineup alone.

LN was 6'5, 6'6, 6'7

Carmel was 6'5, 6'7, 6'7 

Kid plays one of the toughest schedules in the state and dominated it. 

• Like 1

Just now, btownqb said:

He won't be giving up any weight by the time he gets here. More than possible he's 6'2 185lbs as a FR. I don't think he will be as good as Yogi, probably not all that close. I was just giving an attribute that they both shared. 

He's 6'-6'1 170-175lbs... how in the world is his size better than 90% of the people he faces? Almost all the HS we played this year had 3 kids starting that were 6'3 or taller. Plenty of teams went 6'2, 6'4, 6'5, 6'6 in their starting lineup alone.

LN was 6'5, 6'6, 6'7

Carmel was 6'5, 6'7, 6'7 

Were those kids guarding him? Were they playing out of position trying to guard him? I'm saying he goes against point guards in HS that he indeed has a physical advantage over. I don't see that happening in college. Is he really going to grow more?? Maybe. Hard to gamble on that. Maybe we get him. I just think that we've been on some talent including the offer to the Trimble kid that is clearly on another level physically and athletically. Under Archie I would have been thrilled to land Smith...but if we are going to play this open/free flowing NBA offense and switching defense...give me Xavier Johnson...give me guys that project to the next level...not guys that "might" project to this level. Hunter and Yasir and Fife have a history of developing and recruiting those type of players...Woody has a history of teaching and developing NBA caliber players. If this is what we wanted in a coach...then it seems a waste to bring in kids that don't project to that level of talent. Don't tell me you hired an "all-star" caliber coaching staff (chef) and then try to get him to serve up a tough $3 flank steak. Give the guy some wagyu beef for crying out loud! He may be able to make something edible out of that tough steak but I'm much more interested in what he can create with that melt in your mouth meat! lol Sorry done with my poor food analogy, I skipped lunch. : )  

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Were those kids guarding him? Were they playing out of position trying to guard him? I'm saying he goes against point guards in HS that he indeed has a physical advantage over. I don't see that happening in college. Is he really going to grow more?? Maybe. Hard to gamble on that. Maybe we get him. I just think that we've been on some talent including the offer to the Trimble kid that is clearly on another level physically and athletically. Under Archie I would have been thrilled to land Smith...but if we are going to play this open/free flowing NBA offense and switching defense...give me Xavier Johnson...give me guys that project to the next level...not guys that "might" project to this level. Hunter and Yasir and Fife have a history of developing and recruiting those type of players...Woody has a history of teaching and developing NBA caliber players. If this is what we wanted in a coach...then it seems a waste to bring in kids that don't project to that level of talent. Don't tell me you hired an "all-star" caliber coaching staff (chef) and then try to get him to serve up a tough $3 flank steak. Give the guy some wagyu beef for crying out loud! He may be able to make something edible out of that tough steak but I'm much more interested in what he can create with that melt in your mouth meat! lol Sorry done with my poor food analogy, I skipped lunch. : )  

I will say.. he will for sure have to make an adjustment athletic wise. 

BUT.... what if and just what if... 

That 45% from 3 goes to 48% on another 2 attempts a game his SR year? What if he gets to Indiana and is somewhat like Hulls from 3 and somewhat like Yogi handling the ballwise? Shoots like 42% from 3 as a SO... you see the intrigue though? 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, btownqb said:

LN was 6'5, 6'6, 6'7

Carmel was 6'5, 6'7, 6'7 

Why isn't he getting more offers from P5 schools?  Purdue, yes...but it would seem a lot of programs are still in wait and see mode.  Those P5 programs see something that causes them pause rather than pull the trigger.  Personally, I like the young man from watching his videos... but I really know squat about coaching, roster building, recruiting.   😊

• Like 2

4 hours ago, btownqb said:

I will say.. he will for sure have to make an adjustment athletic wise. 

BUT.... what if and just what if... 

That 45% from 3 goes to 48% on another 2 attempts a game his SR year? What if he gets to Indiana and is somewhat like Hulls from 3 and somewhat like Yogi handling the ballwise? Shoots like 42% from 3 as a SO... you see the intrigue though? 

Hey man you don’t have to sell me on him as a senior next year. He is in my Mr Basketball preseason watch list. It’s how and if his game will be able to translate on a B1G level. The game continues to change rapidly even from just 8-10 years ago...and I absolutely believe he will make a difference at a D1 school. Just not sure it’s at the B1G level...at least not for a few years. But if he does continue to grow and his game does as well then i will be wrong. I just trust the staff to have a plan for their future roster...going to be an interesting transition with the extra Covid year and half guys they didn’t recruit and half they did.

2 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

Why isn't he getting more offers from P5 schools?  Purdue, yes...but it would seem a lot of programs are still in wait and see mode.  Those P5 programs see something that causes them pause rather than pull the trigger.  Personally, I like the young man from watching his videos... but I really know squat about coaching, roster building, recruiting.   😊

Limited AAU and essentially no contact in person could play a role

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

This will probably get taken wrong and out of context but I talk to enough people  around the college game that I hope when I say this it makes sense and is not seen inappropriately. 

White kids under 6'4 or 6'5 get pigeon holed as not athletic enough to play and to take a chance on those kids they have to be 5 stars or close to it to truly garner attention from P5schools.  Hopefully that statement is received the way I want to deliver it

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

This will probably get taken wrong and out of context but I talk to enough people  around the college game that I hope when I say this it makes sense and is not seen inappropriately. 

White kids under 6'4 or 6'5 get pigeon holed as not athletic enough to play and to take a chance on those kids they have to be 5 stars or close to it to truly garner attention from P5schools.  Hopefully that statement is received the way I want to deliver it

I think the game is just changing very rapidly. Not just for white kids either. It's funny that for the most part bigs are asked to play like wings and wings like guards...it's squeezing out the little guy. There is certainly room for point guards below 6'2-6'3 but they better have an ELITE skill set of speed/athleticism and/or shooting it seems. The game may be getting more perimeters oriented with less emphasis on bigs but the guards are getting bigger and bigger. It's like the game is getting squeezed into 6'3-6'9 and if you don't fall into that...you have to make up for it in a major way. Perception and biases are always going to be there...but in the end with all the AAU ball and recruiting...I think a kid has plenty of exposure and chances to prove himself so in the end if you can play at an elite level you will be able to separate yourself from others and get offers. In some manners AAU actually helps get exposure to kids that might have ?? on athleticism or competition level in HS. I think this year we've missed a whole year of spring and summer ball so a lot of kids didn't get that opportunity. The other thing I think you are saying that also kind of applies is with the transfer portal. Top schools use it as almost like a AAA farm system. They let the kids they have questions on (size, athleticism, motor whatever) drop down and take less risk on them and believe they will have a second bite at the apple in a couple years if they develop stepping up from mid majors and lesser power conference teams. I think that mentality will continue. So I do think a lot of programs will be more willing to pass on kids that have that size/athleticism concern while doing the ol NBA trick of taking kids based on projections and let the smaller programs be kind of like a G-league equivilent and if a kid breaks out or proves themselves they will re-recruit them.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think the game is just changing very rapidly. Not just for white kids either. It's funny that for the most part bigs are asked to play like wings and wings like guards...it's squeezing out the little guy. There is certainly room for point guards below 6'2-6'3 but they better have an ELITE skill set of speed/athleticism and/or shooting it seems. The game may be getting more perimeters oriented with less emphasis on bigs but the guards are getting bigger and bigger. It's like the game is getting squeezed into 6'3-6'9 and if you don't fall into that...you have to make up for it in a major way. Perception and biases are always going to be there...but in the end with all the AAU ball and recruiting...I think a kid has plenty of exposure and chances to prove himself so in the end if you can play at an elite level you will be able to separate yourself from others and get offers. In some manners AAU actually helps get exposure to kids that might have ?? on athleticism or competition level in HS. I think this year we've missed a whole year of spring and summer ball so a lot of kids didn't get that opportunity. The other thing I think you are saying that also kind of applies is with the transfer portal. Top schools use it as almost like a AAA farm system. They let the kids they have questions on (size, athleticism, motor whatever) drop down and take less risk on them and believe they will have a second bite at the apple in a couple years if they develop stepping up from mid majors and lesser power conference teams. I think that mentality will continue. So I do think a lot of programs will be more willing to pass on kids that have that size/athleticism concern while doing the ol NBA trick of taking kids based on projections and let the smaller programs be kind of like a G-league equivilent and if a kid breaks out or proves themselves they will re-recruit them.

I agree with a lot of that for sure. You can look across America at the landscape of the game and find many great D1 players under 6'2" some can't shoot but are very explosive and can get to the rim and some are just all around great players. From what I hear and see those smaller guys that just happen to be white are viewed as not athletic enough to compete. So let them go to a mid major and if they prove themselves worthy then they can transfer. Its easier to take a flyer on a smaller kid that is viewed as a better athlete not necessarily a better basketball player. 

If IU misses out on Braden I would feel very confident in a wager that the player that they do take will not have had the impact that BS would have had. I know its subjective and role comes into play and everything but this kid is different. 

If we don't offer him and he goes somewhere else I will root for him like crazy and if he plays IU I hope we win but want Braden to light our ass up. IMO he will be a bigger miss than Kaufman

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I agree with a lot of that for sure. You can look across America at the landscape of the game and find many great D1 players under 6'2" some can't shoot but are very explosive and can get to the rim and some are just all around great players. From what I hear and see those smaller guys that just happen to be white are viewed as not athletic enough to compete. So let them go to a mid major and if they prove themselves worthy then they can transfer. Its easier to take a flyer on a smaller kid that is viewed as a better athlete not necessarily a better basketball player. 

If IU misses out on Braden I would feel very confident in a wager that the player that they do take will not have had the impact that BS would have had. I know its subjective and role comes into play and everything but this kid is different. 

If we don't offer him and he goes somewhere else I will root for him like crazy and if he plays IU I hope we win but want Braden to light our ass up. IMO he will be a bigger miss than Kaufman

I'm trying to get his sectional game film vs Noblesville where he had 40. 

Truthfully I love the idea of him playing along side Rodney Rice or Trimble. I think one of them and Smith can go very well together. Idc about being somewhat smaller. 

• Like 2

JMHO...but I'm not convinced that superior basketball IQ can't make up for an inch or two of physical height or other body attributes.  Understanding your abilities and your opponent's plus simply really having a strong grasp of game, in general, is just as important or more important than physical abilities.  Larry Bird was a prime example of this...and no, I'm not saying Braden Smith is the next Bird, obviously.

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Like 1

I have personally never seen Smith play.  How does he match up against high level D1 kids when they play each other? I understand some of your frustration. 

When Nic Moore was at Warsaw,  I never saw him get outplayed. I always felt like he was the best player on the floor.  Better than Deshaun Thomas or any of the North Central kids he played against at state.. I was in the house when he dropped 50 on one of Painters kids, while Painter was present.  It blew my mind that Purdue never offered 

Edited by hoosier_exotics