Braden Smith Commits to Purdue

I'm knee deep in some cancer stuff with family but had to chime in. Great player but our staff likes others. Simple as that. Before anyone comes along and says we need this guy,etc for our winning teams,etc.....I'll remind you I was singing this kids praises about 20+ pages ago. Great kid, good player. Phenomenal family. 

Fits Painter routine greatly but he can feel the shift in what Coach Woodson has done. Maybe both Waddell and Braden lead him to titles....or maybe spite recruiting catches up with him. Our local recruiting efforts haven't necessarily been producing national titles.

Again...love Smith as a player. Have watched him for years play. Just don't think that's what Coach Woodson wants size wise from his guys moving forward. Might be a mistake....but I'll take top 25 guys like Bates over local kid angle who up until last week the best offers he had was IUPUI and App St. 

Wish him well....and I'll always cheer for him. Just like I have for the past few years.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm knee deep in some cancer stuff with family but had to chime in. Great player but our staff likes others. Simple as that. Before anyone comes along and says we need this guy,etc for our winning teams,etc.....I'll remind you I was singing this kids praises about 20+ pages ago. Great kid, good player. Phenomenal family. 

Fits Painter routine greatly but he can feel the shift in what Coach Woodson has done. Maybe both Waddell and Braden lead him to titles....or maybe spite recruiting catches up with him. Our local recruiting efforts haven't necessarily been producing national titles.

Again...love Smith as a player. Have watched him for years play. Just don't think that's what Coach Woodson wants size wise from his guys moving forward. Might be a mistake....but I'll take top 25 guys like Bates over local kid angle who up until last week the best offers he had was IUPUI and App St. 

Wish him well....and I'll always cheer for him. Just like I have for the past few years.

Hope the cancer issues work out positively.  Sorry to hear that.   

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I’m very happy with the staff and have a high regard for all of them.  But I have my own experiences and views from being a fan for 46 years.  I can support the team and respect the heck out of them even if I disagree with some decisions.   At this point, I hope their analysis on Braden is right.  

I have no idea what they told the young man but he must have thought Purdue was the best choice for him! I too have had a lot of experiences in my 55+ years of a fan. I am going to enjoy this tremendous coaching staff and the style of play that we will see and all the kids that choose to play for the Hoosiers! And by the way is it clear that IU was not interested or he just pulled the trigger for Purdue I don’t know the answer 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Sorry to hear that re family. Hope for the best!

curious if you can elaborate on the spite recruiting comment.

9 minutes ago, Cutter said:

And by the way is it clear that IU was not interested or he just pulled the trigger for Purdue I don’t know the answer 

This pretty much covers it, as fast as he pulled the trigger on the Turdue offer maybe it was the one he wanted. Or just maybe the coaches see something in him that doesn't fit what they are looking for. While I would have liked to have his shooting on the team I will put my trust in Coach Woodson on this one.

Also from the looks of his offer list a lot of high major schools was thinking the same way Coach Woodson was.

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Purdue plays to win the state. IU plays to win the National Championship. Might help bringing in local kids in beating us in a rivalry game but I don’t see it helping them win a NC. I trust the staff to bring in nba talent to run their nba sets.

Amen! I don't care if Purdue sweeps us every year, as long as we are competing for National Titles or deep runs often

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Purdue plays to win the state. IU plays to win the National Championship. Might help bringing in local kids in beating us in a rivalry game but I don’t see it helping them win a NC. I trust the staff to bring in nba talent to run their nba sets.

I agree to an extent if we were to load up on guys like Smith and Waddell. Pairing them with guys like Ivey, Furst, and Kaufman gives us a shot at deep tourney runs IMO. 

• Like 1

Just now, Stlboiler23 said:

I agree to an extent if we were to load up on guys like Smith and Waddell. Pairing them with guys like Ivey, Furst, and Kaufman gives us a shot at deep tourney runs IMO. 

Smith will be a long way off til he is playing imo. I think he will be a good player but I wouldn’t plan on seeing him starting for several years. He will never play with Ivey though. Good get...I think he will fit your program well.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Sorry to hear that re family. Hope for the best!

curious if you can elaborate on the spite recruiting comment.

I think Painter dives in to recruit kids that the locals want for IU every once in awhile. I think Waddell and Braden are fine players. I've said as much on here for months and in latter's case longer. I don't think they are Big 10 title winning guys. I think they will be nice pieces in 2 years...maybe 3. Unless one gains weight and the other grows just a tad I see hard times coming. Similar to what we faced with Jordy/Yogi in Cuse game. We love those guys to death but size was outmatched by length of Cuse zone. 

Shouldn't even brought up the other stuff. Cancer with family not mine....just trying to get 2 people in out of outpatient in small town Illinois within 48 hours and all the protocols eats a few days up. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

I thought IU was his dream school?

I think it is and was....but a Big 10 school said you have 48-72 hours after to say yes or we aren't doing this....because of his other offers what would it look like in the publics eye if Painter offered and he still hadn't pulled the trigger with the other offers being App St and IUPUI.

At least that's how I would have presented it. You have 2 days. Yes or no.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I think it is and was....but a Big 10 school said you have 48-72 hours after to say yes or we aren't doing this....because of his other offers what would it look like in the publics eye if Painter offered and he still hadn't pulled the trigger with the other offers being App St and IUPUI.

At least that's how I would have presented it. You have 2 days. Yes or no.  

Agree.  

And hey man.  Sorry to hear about the family stuff.  Hope better days are ahead.  You know around here we have your back and lift up a prayer for you all.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cutter said:

I would say the staff connects the dots better than everyone on an IU message board put together times hundreds lol

They are far from perfect. So maybe people closer to the situation might just know enough to have an opinion that the kid is good enough. You cannot have 13 all Americans on a team. You can never have too many shooters.

Maybe he doesn't pan out but there are no guarantees that the others we have offered will either just because they are 2 inches taller and perceived to be more athletic.  

11 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

I thought IU was his dream school?

Maybe he was told no offer was coming. Why not go to the program that has owned IU past 4 years and give them a close up look of what they misses. He will be playing with a huge chip on his shoulder especially against IU 

I will compare it to a girl breaking your heart and then you hook up with her sister and also be sure that she hears you in the next room. 

28 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Maybe he was told no offer was coming. Why not go to the program that has owned IU past 4 years and give them a close up look of what they misses. He will be playing with a huge chip on his shoulder especially against IU 

I will compare it to a girl breaking your heart and then you hook up with her sister and also be sure that she hears you in the next room. 

I hope for the kids sake he's the next Steve Nash.  

IU will be just fine without him.  The blueprint is becoming more clear.  IU is going big time again.  The offer list so far is length.  The latest being a 6'10" kid that can shoot.  The guards are built like brick houses that can still do it all.  

Hustle beats talent when talent doesn't hustle.  Those days are long gone.  "Play Hard" no crap.  Don't play hard, sit bench.  

The cult following that has developed for this kid is interesting.  I said way back there is a nostalgic feel about this kid, like a Jordy Hulls.  Short white kid from Indiana that can shoot.  Many of us have those qualities, lol, and dreamed of having the opportunity to play for IU.  

I'm curious why Luke Brown didn't get the love this kid has, besides from @IU/Butler/Notre Dame?  When playing high level comp the few times in season, being double and triple teamed Brown still impressed.  Smith hasn't faced one double team, albeit against big schools all season.  In AAU play Brown played with and against the highest levels and performed very similarly, if not better.  

I believe Woodson is going to recruit shooters that aren't going to be a defensive liability.  Like the size of Kopp going forward.  Guys that can switch 3 or 4 times a possession and not get abused.  

There is only one kid at Purdue that I won't cringe at his success and that's only because I grew up with his mom, in Kaufman.   

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

They are far from perfect. So maybe people closer to the situation might just know enough to have an opinion that the kid is good enough. You cannot have 13 all Americans on a team. You can never have too many shooters.

Maybe he doesn't pan out but there are no guarantees that the others we have offered will either just because they are 2 inches taller and perceived to be more athletic.  

Well that’s life you don’t always get what you want

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Maybe is a bigger word than if

3 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

But you just might get what you need

Lol I hope so I wish nothing but the best for the young man and that’s ok with me if he lights us up for 40 just makes for a competitive recruiting rivalry. And I really hope we get who are priority recruits are 

ps love The Rolling Stones 

Edited by Cutter

10 minutes ago, Cutter said:

Lol I hope so I wish nothing but the best for the young man and that’s ok with me if he lights us up for 40 just makes for a competitive recruiting rivalry. And I really hope we get who are priority recruits are 

ps love The Rolling Stones 

I agree. 

Ayden loves old rock music we bought a 1954 stereo console and have started picking up some old vinyl. The stones are on his short list

• Like 2