Braden Smith Commits to Purdue

11 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I agree. 

Ayden loves old rock music we bought a 1954 stereo console and have started picking up some old vinyl. The stones are on his short list

I think that is awesome and sounds like he knows good music! I love those old consoles wish I still had mine that was my parents but gave it to my little sister. Glad to hear about the old vinyl I gave mine away to a young enthusiast about 15 to 20 years ago what a great hobby and interest for Ayden and you to have together that really warms my heart 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Imo a point guard that has size and can defend multiple positions who can get down hill on the offensive end is the most important things in college basketball. Someone that won’t be a matchup problem when you switch and one that has size/speed athleticism to beat his man and get into the lane and cause havoc is what I want in a pg. everything you do on the defensive end is pointless if you can’t contain the ball. It immediately causes defense to collapse open up shooting and driving lanes for your wings...causes bigs to leave their man...and causes foul trouble usually. A pg that can shoot on top of that is probably nba bound but even if they can’t shoot better than 30% if they can just make you honor their shot then that is enough. We haven’t been able to land guys like that under Archie but I think with Woody and Yasir and company that is changing. Johnson is the kind of mold this team is going for...and these assistants are on even better talent in who they are talking to so Xavier is kind of the base line for pg in the future for us. Look at the landscape of college ball. You have pgs like Jalen Suggs and Butler/Mitchell at Baylor...bigger point guards or elite athleticism. Look who UK typically brings in to run the point...guys like SGA and Fox and Quickley these taller athletic guards that are better athletes than shooters but they cause havoc. To me that is the mold. Certainly room for Brandon Smith type but to me he fit Archie more than he fits Woodys team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rico said:

Where were Butler and Notre Dame on this kid?  Anybody know?

Zero interest....but that's kind of my point with IU. Every other school in the state wasn't interested....but it's only us that takes the lightning strike when we don't recruit some of the guys. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Disappointed?

Very. I’ve wanted this kid for a long time, which I’ve made clear on this board. Archie was getting ready to offer. Unfortunately for us, Purdue swooped in and got a great player. I don’t want to blame staff for this, but I don’t want them to only go after “NBA talent” players. Every single team in the country can use a Braden Smith. Every. One. I wish him the best, but unfortunately I can’t root for the kid anymore. We all will see in the coming years how good he really is. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Zero interest....but that's kind of my point with IU. Every other school in the state wasn't interested....but it's only us that takes the lightning strike when we don't recruit some of the guys. 

Lavall won’t be there much longer if he’s not going to recruit guys like Smith lol. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Lavall won’t be there much longer if he’s not going to recruit guys like Smith lol. 

And I agree with that all day long. I get why Woodson passed.....but nobody can convince me a school like Butler should have as well. Lavall should have been making Smith a priority. Perfect Butler type.

• Like 2

If Woodson had this thing established, a kid like Smith would get a chance.  But the scholarships and opportunities now are for studs that can come in a make an immediate impact.  We did not just miss on Yogi Ferrell or even a Jordy Hulls.  The kid may wind up winning Mr Basketball next year and be the lowest nationally ranked kid to ever win it.  Yogi and Jordy were leading teams to championships.  The book is still being written on this kid.  I wish him good health.  

IU is still big brother.  

Moving on.  

Edited by NotIThatLives
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I think he has a year...two tops. That program has a long slow burn that raged for a few years..but it has been slowly building in stature and results. It’s definitely taken a step back under him. If he does go the next hire will he immensely important to keep them relevant.

21 minutes ago, Cutter said:

I think that is awesome and sounds like he knows good music! I love those old consoles wish I still had mine that was my parents but gave it to my little sister. Glad to hear about the old vinyl I gave mine away to a young enthusiast about 15 to 20 years ago what a great hobby and interest for Ayden and you to have together that really warms my heart 

His Uncle found a copy of Abby Road and last week we bought a few of Queen, Elton John and Pink Floyd and this week he wants a Nirvana album

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

And I agree with that all day long. I get why Woodson passed.....but nobody can convince me a school like Butler should have as well. Lavall should have been making Smith a priority. Perfect Butler type.

Butler had 2 freshman guards last year that were a couple of bright spots. They also brought in a 2021 combo guard too. They should've gone after smith imo but that might be part of why they didn't. Butler also hasn't been connected to many 2022 kids but have been going after transfers that were freshman or sophomores this past year. They also have 16 guys on scholarship right now and still have an open one which wouldn't have affected Smith but it's still a crazy thing to think about. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think he has a year...two tops. That program has a long slow burn that raged for a few years..but it has been slowly building in stature and results. It’s definitely taken a step back under him. If he does go the next hire will he immensely important to keep them relevant.

If they can stay healthy they should be much improved next year. Lavall also just hired a pretty good assistant to fill the void that was left when Jeff Meyer retired. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

If they can stay healthy they should be much improved next year. Lavall also just hired a pretty good assistant to fill the void that was left when Jeff Meyer retired. 

Ragland. Well regarded guy.  I could see Michael Lewis or Ragland getting that job in the not so distant future.  I have my doubts about Lavall.

2 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Ragland. Well regarded guy.  I could see Michael Lewis or Ragland getting that job in the not so distant future.  I have my doubts about Lavall.

So do I but I've heard that Collier is going to be patient with him. He's got some talent and versatility this year so I think it could be very telling about his future as their head coach especially if they miss the tournament again. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I remember pushing little David in a swing at my uncle's house when we were kids.  My uncle and his dad were best friends.  Absolutely phenomenal family.  Highest of character.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

What do you mean re Morton?

Some of the same people who wanted Smith I seem to remember really wanting Morton at IU for similar reasons (minus the in state part). Morton chose Turdue and as a image.png.3b9ba113879a45f3049466e37ca45c6f.png

recruit generated these stats...

image.png.45d8dd714c6b9f0e7a03b08ba797674d.png

image.png.5001b4b37addd13b858514c933ef498e.png

Edited by cybergates
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Some of the same people who wanted Smith I seem to remember really wanting Morton at IU for similar reasons (minus the in state part). Morton chose Turdue and as a image.png.3b9ba113879a45f3049466e37ca45c6f.png

He certainly didn’t have a good year but it was thrown off by a bout with mono. He never seemed to get into the swing of things after. I think he’ll make a decent jump next year. 

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

His Uncle found a copy of Abby Road and last week we bought a few of Queen, Elton John and Pink Floyd and this week he wants a Nirvana album

Abbey Road SWEET! The hidden meaning of. I shoes and the opposite stride on the cross walk! Fun times and memories! I really like the others as well! Great listening and experiences for Ayden great job!

• Thanks 1

Just now, Cutter said:

Abbey Road SWEET! The hidden meaning of. I shoes and the opposite stride on the cross walk! Fun times and memories! I really like the others as well! Great listening and experiences for Ayden great job!

Almost forgot Sgt Peppers he has that also and we went all through the Paul is dead conspiracy theory. Great times for sure

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, cybergates said:

These are like the same stats Lander produced lol

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, btownqb said:

These are like the same stats Lander produced lol

Sad but true overall but per 40 a bit better...fortunately for Lander he has a new coach, can't say the same for Morton. Boiler thinks he'll be better next year, from the few games I watched Turdue (vs IU and the one game in the NCAA), I don't see him getting much better stats with Ivey around. Ivey was good for a freshman, but in the games I watched he reminded me of a poor man's Kobe Bryant in his early years meaning he tries to do too much for where he's currently at.

image.png.b7d167020e507199ea4b7f45495ee35e.png

image.png.20a5b64c82f7285f893c1ba825b70288.png

Edited by cybergates
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Almost forgot Sgt Peppers he has that also and we went all through the Paul is dead conspiracy theory. Great times for sure

The Paul is dead thing is hilarious.  There are hours and hours of videos on YouTube dedicated to it, like a cottage industry.  

As a blessed father to two daughters, 

“Golden slumbers fill your eyes, smiles await you when you rise...”

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 2