Braden Smith Commits to Purdue

2 hours ago, DC2345 said:

So do I but I've heard that Collier is going to be patient with him. He's got some talent and versatility this year so I think it could be very telling about his future as their head coach especially if they miss the tournament again. 

Yeah....they have had more talent then they have had in several years. Mixed results at best. That is all I mean. Like us...no reason they shouldn't be finishing in the top half of their conference. If it doesn't turn around with what he does have...gotta look elsewhere. As we have seen there is enough local talent in the area to sustain a program and with the national exposure in the Big East....should be able to keep up with the other programs. They've had some highly ranked talent...but the issue in my mind has been leadership (especially on the floor). The right kids leading the team on the floor. Smith would fit that perfect. Tough minded, highly skilled guards like the Jorgensons, Baldwins, Barlows, Graves boys etc. I think Archie would have likely offered Smith honestly if he stayed because I don't think he would be able to land much better pg...but with the transition and then change in style I think Smith jumped at the first major offer. Not sure what Butler was thinking there. Seemed right in their wheel house.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cybergates said:

Sad but true overall but per 40 a bit better...fortunately for Lander he has a new coach, can't say the same for Morton. Boiler thinks he'll be better next year, from the few games I watched Turdue (vs IU and the one game in the NCAA), I don't see him getting much better stats with Ivey around. Ivey was good for a freshman, but in the games I watched he reminded me of a poor man's Kobe Bryant in his early years meaning he tries to do too much for where he's currently at.

image.png.b7d167020e507199ea4b7f45495ee35e.png

image.png.20a5b64c82f7285f893c1ba825b70288.png

I mean I think it’s almost a certainty Morton makes a decent jump since he’ll have a normal offseason without mono. Mathias had it when he was at Purdue and it took a bit for him to get back to where he was. 

41 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yeah....they have had more talent then they have had in several years. Mixed results at best. That is all I mean. Like us...no reason they shouldn't be finishing in the top half of their conference. If it doesn't turn around with what he does have...gotta look elsewhere. As we have seen there is enough local talent in the area to sustain a program and with the national exposure in the Big East....should be able to keep up with the other programs. They've had some highly ranked talent...but the issue in my mind has been leadership (especially on the floor). The right kids leading the team on the floor. Smith would fit that perfect. Tough minded, highly skilled guards like the Jorgensons, Baldwins, Barlows, Graves boys etc. I think Archie would have likely offered Smith honestly if he stayed because I don't think he would be able to land much better pg...but with the transition and then change in style I think Smith jumped at the first major offer. Not sure what Butler was thinking there. Seemed right in their wheel house.

One of my buddies from growing up is a huge Butler fan (his dad is their number 1 or 2 booster I believe) and he’s not a fan of Lavall. Would’ve rather had Terry Johnson (Purdue’s newest AC) be the HC after Holtmann left. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

One of my buddies from growing up is a huge Butler fan (his dad is their number 1 or 2 booster I believe) and he’s not a fan of Lavall. Would’ve rather had Terry Johnson (Purdue’s newest AC) be the HC after Holtmann left. 

Yeah I don't know a lot about Butler's program. Obviously he was from the family...and had been on a great staff at Michigan..but it wasn't like he tore it up at Milwaulkie before coming back to Butler. Been pretty much mediocre there since. Very Archie like I guess you might say. If he doesn't get them back in the tournament in the next couple years no doubt they will move on. His time at Michigan he worked with the guards...you'd think he would recognize guard talent in Smith if that was the case. Oh well....moving on. Good luck to you guys. I'm excited to see the game next year. I think both teams should have plenty more offensive fire power on the floor and we may make it out of the 50's.....fun times ahead!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Shrewsberry was one of the other finalists I believe back when Lavall got hired. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I mean I think it’s almost a certainty Morton makes a decent jump since he’ll have a normal offseason without mono. Mathias had it when he was at Purdue and it took a bit for him to get back to where he was. 

Morton’s problem is he has a broken shot and he isn’t much of an athlete.  But he’s got good size and is a heady player.  Maybe he can be a steadying guy off the bench if he lasts there for the full four years.  

2 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Shrewsberry was one of the other finalists I believe back when Lavall got hired. 

Did people catch that Shewsberry hired Brian Snow?  Do I have the right name?  The guy from Peegs who was generally wrong constantly but lacked self awareness about it?   That should be interesting.  Talk about thinking outside the box.  

4 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Did people catch that Shewsberry hired Brian Snow?  Do I have the right name?  The guy from Peegs who was generally wrong constantly but lacked self awareness about it?   That should be interesting.  Talk about thinking outside the box.  

Yes, he hired him as a recruiting coordinator. The guy does have a lot of connections so not the worst thing imo for a new head coach to find ways to get his foot in the door for some recruits. . 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Morton’s problem is he has a broken shot and he isn’t much of an athlete.  But he’s got good size and is a heady player.  Maybe he can be a steadying guy off the bench if he lasts there for the full four years.  

Why was Archie so enamored with him? 

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

His shot needs work no doubt. Pretty sure Painter called him the best passer he’s ever seen so that should be something to look forward to as well. His high school coach was former Cub Matt Clement. 

• Like 2

Now don't hate me but I'm not really sure what Painter is building there at Purdue. I mean looking at the kids he is bringing in no doubt really good Indiana kids....hard nosed...winners...but anyone else think he is missing out on that extra dimensional player. Let me know if I'm wrong but you got Morton, Sasha, Newman, Edy, Williams, Gillis, Furst, Kaufman, Waddell, Smith....anyone see a lack of athleticism there. Speed/elite play making. The one exception they have on their roster is Ivey. I mean the kid just explodes off the floor...and really turned that team into something special. Why isn't he doubling down on that instead of going after more of the same! I know he has his system but man when he has had guys like Edwards duo etc that has been what has set his really good teams apart imo. Don't get me wrong...nothing wrong with those kids on that roster...nothing at all individually...but when you look at it across the board and look at that TEAM. It strikes me. Pace of play and what Purdue looks to do....it won't be changing anytime soon. Going to try to grind you down and win a game in the 60s. I really like those kids...but when you start seeing them as a group...and with Ivey I think certain to go pro next year...I would be looking at more players like him...not more of the same. JMO

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Now don't hate me but I'm not really sure what Painter is building there at Purdue. I mean looking at the kids he is bringing in no doubt really good Indiana kids....hard nosed...winners...but anyone else think he is missing out on that extra dimensional player. Let me know if I'm wrong but you got Morton, Sasha, Newman, Edy, Williams, Gillis, Furst, Kaufman, Waddell, Smith....anyone see a lack of athleticism there. Speed/elite play making. The one exception they have on their roster is Ivey. I mean the kid just explodes off the floor...and really turned that team into something special. Why isn't he doubling down on that instead of going after more of the same! I know he has his system but man when he has had guys like Edwards duo etc that has been what has set his really good teams apart imo. Don't get me wrong...nothing wrong with those kids on that roster...nothing at all individually...but when you look at it across the board and look at that TEAM. It strikes me. Pace of play and what Purdue looks to do....it won't be changing anytime soon. Going to try to grind you down and win a game in the 60s. I really like those kids...but when you start seeing them as a group...and with Ivey I think certain to go pro next year...I would be looking at more players like him...not more of the same. JMO

Unfortunately guys like Ivey and Edwards don’t grow on trees. Painter isn’t going to waste his time recruiting longshots. I know in the ‘22 class we’re still after Trimble, Washington, and Camden Heide. Painter knows the kind of guys that he likes even if there’s some sacrifice. He tried to go the athlete route over skill and it bit him in the ass before. 

Don’t think you can lump Newman in there with the others. He’s not Ivey but he’s plenty athletic IMO. 

Edited by Stlboiler23
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Unfortunately guys like Ivey and Edwards don’t grow on trees. Painter isn’t going to waste his time recruiting longshots. I know in the ‘22 class we’re still after Trimble, Washington, and Camden Heide. Painter knows the kind of guys that he likes even if there’s some sacrifice. He tried to go the athlete route over skill and it bit him in the ass before. 

Don’t think you can lump Newman in there with the others. He’s not Ivey but he’s plenty athletic IMO. 

Plenty?? I wouldn't go that far. For instance him vs Franklin it was clear which player had the most juice. There is a trade off for sure. And I absolutely think you can win and win a lot with those guys...but I just don't see the stand out play maker. Guy that can take over ball games and really go out and get his own shot. Again..you know I'm a fair minded person even when considering Purdue. I've bragged a lot on Painter being a good coach and developer. Heck getting kids like Newman and Waddell to redshirt in this day and age. Kudos! I just think that dynamic element is lacking....and it really is appearent when you have it.....ala Ivey and how it changes up what that team does...and without it. Guys like Vince Edwards and even Carson's explosiveness...I'm wondering where that will come from. No doubt if you land a guy like Trimble that would be a huge difference. I just wondering if with Ivey likely gone...you guys become very one dimensional...and easy to guard given the lack of explosive playmakers. Just my perception. Not taking a shot...but just an observation.

• Like 1

I think Purdue will have a strong team next year.  I doubt Ivey will be there after that.  The concern is if they run into quickness in the NCAA tourney. After that, if they really try to run with Kaufman, Furst and Edey together up front, that’s the type of team right out of 1983.  You can win if you luck into the right matchups like Tony Bennett did a couple of years ago.  But you’re just as liable to get run out if the gym by a quicker mid-major launching threes from everywhere.  But they should be tough in the B1G.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I think Purdue will have a strong team next year.  I doubt Ivey will be there after that.  The concern is if they run into quickness in the NCAA tourney. After that, if they really try to run with Kaufman, Furst and Edey together up front, that’s the type of team right out of 1983.  You can win if you luck into the right matchups like Tony Bennett did a couple of years ago.  But you’re just as liable to get run out if the gym by a quicker mid-major launching threes from everywhere.  But they should be tough in the B1G.  

Don’t think you’ll see many lineups with Furst/Kaufman/Edey/Williams. Prob 2 of those at the same time surrounded by 3 guards. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Don’t think you’ll see many lineups with Furst/Kaufman/Edey/Williams. Prob 2 of those at the same time surrounded by 3 guards. 

And Gillis??? Where are his minutes...certainly not the 3. Which means you are playing Kaufman likely at the 3 and going big.

11 minutes ago, dgambill said:

And Gillis??? Where are his minutes...certainly not the 3. Which means you are playing Kaufman likely at the 3 and going big.

Kaufman at the three will be a disaster for Purdue from a defensive perspective.  He can’t guard a three at this level.  I think this is going to turn into a Hummel and Martin situation.  Furst is a five playing wise offensively right now and question if he can guard fours on the college level.  I think it will be Gillis/Kaufman at the four and Williams/Edny/Furst at the five.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

I hope for the kids sake he's the next Steve Nash.  

IU will be just fine without him.  The blueprint is becoming more clear.  IU is going big time again.  The offer list so far is length.  The latest being a 6'10" kid that can shoot.  The guards are built like brick houses that can still do it all.  

Hustle beats talent when talent doesn't hustle.  Those days are long gone.  "Play Hard" no crap.  Don't play hard, sit bench.  

The cult following that has developed for this kid is interesting.  I said way back there is a nostalgic feel about this kid, like a Jordy Hulls.  Short white kid from Indiana that can shoot.  Many of us have those qualities, lol, and dreamed of having the opportunity to play for IU.  

I'm curious why Luke Brown didn't get the love this kid has, besides from @IU/Butler/Notre Dame?  When playing high level comp the few times in season, being double and triple teamed Brown still impressed.  Smith hasn't faced one double team, albeit against big schools all season.  In AAU play Brown played with and against the highest levels and performed very similarly, if not better.  

I believe Woodson is going to recruit shooters that aren't going to be a defensive liability.  Like the size of Kopp going forward.  Guys that can switch 3 or 4 times a possession and not get abused.  

There is only one kid at Purdue that I won't cringe at his success and that's only because I grew up with his mom, in Kaufman.   

I think you’ve hit the nail completely on the head .....as everyone knows I’m a brown guy ( maybe THEE brown guy is more  notoriously accurate ).  I’m a huge Smith fan.  Got to watch him play twice and he has an extremely similar style and skill set to brown so I was hoping him being in a larger grouping of schools would eventually merit an iu offer of brown didnt but , alas, I think you have the philosophy pegged.  I think having watched both I still take brown because he has a slight edge ( and I mean slight ) in creation and passing although not much difference.  Luke is a slightly better ball handler but boy can they both shoot.  Smith built his frame over two years more impressively in my opinion and I’m not knocking Luke but smith seems more inclined to WANT physical contact and I think painter felt comfortable smith is going to continue to beef up ....he won’t be a Kris kramer type body but he could add ten pounds of muscle and mask the definitively liability a bit. I also , without saying more than I’m allowed , can say Luke likely would have had Waddells offer for 2021, painter/ staff had asked like to put his decision off back in august all the way to December so they could see how recruiting shook out and Luke wasn’t willing to risk losing a high minute option at the mid major level.  I think painter likes the style and feels he can cultivate it I think smith will be successful in it and we will regret letting both players go without kicking the tires 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, dgambill said:

But isnt that the type of player WE are getting ? We ve seen how that has gone .....I’m a bigger fan of their approach having exactly what you described 10’deep that stay four years and mixing in an Ivey that stays two here and there 

same with butler ( until the laval era ) and notre Dame and its lead to more long term consistency 

18 hours ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

But isnt that the type of player WE are getting ? We ve seen how that has gone .....I’m a bigger fan of their approach having exactly what you described 10’deep that stay four years and mixing in an Ivey that stays two here and there 

same with butler ( until the laval era ) and notre Dame and its lead to more long term consistency 

Under Archie it was...I think Woodson and company are looking at more speed and athleticism in the backcourt....break down the defense (Johnson) and then surround them with bigger wings that can shoot. We shall see if we if he can continue to land them but I’m just surprised Purdue is doubling down on the slower tempo.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2021 at 8:16 AM, btownqb said:

man.. you're just looking at the ranking. 22p 6a 5r playing in Hamilton Co isn't something that just "a ton of kids across the country" can do. 

No I’m not just looking at the ranking.
Making comparisons that he is only 6’ just like Yogi were made and my point is that Yogi was an exceptional, extraordinary 5”11-6’ player.
You are in rare air when you are that size and are a burger boy that ends up in the NBA.

I stick with, and of course we can agree to disagree, my statement that there are a ton of kids that have gaudy stats across the country. All you need to do is look at first team conference players for dozens of conferences in every state in the country. I agree that Hamilton county sets him apart from many of those conferences but comparing him to a Yogi type player is a stretch.

• Like 2

• KDB changed the title to Braden Smith Commits to Purdue
10 hours ago, IU878176 said:

No I’m not just looking at the ranking.
Making comparisons that he is only 6’ just like Yogi were made and my point is that Yogi was an exceptional, extraordinary 5”11-6’ player.
You are in rare air when you are that size and are a burger boy that ends up in the NBA.

I stick with, and of course we can agree to disagree, my statement that there are a ton of kids that have gaudy stats across the country. All you need to do is look at first team conference players for dozens of conferences in every state in the country. I agree that Hamilton county sets him apart from many of those conferences but comparing him to a Yogi type player is a stretch.

Yogi wasn't 6'. Braden is 6'1. There was one poster that mentioned Yogi, I don't think anyone thought he was the second coming of our programs 2nd best PG.