Braden Smith Commits to Purdue

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

What is your scouting report?

I love his game and would have offered hi a scholarship on the spot.  He plays with an edge that this team doesn't have.  He is in your face eon the defensive end and makes it hard on the other team.  He is a good shooter and has a lot of confidence in himself which is also needed with this team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Been saying it for 2 years offer this kid or you will live to regret it, or I guess the next coach will wish CAM had offered BS. He has a lot of what the current IU team is missing. Too much to ever list to be honest

I think Archie is waiting just like he did with Leal...But I believe the kid will eventually get an offer from IU...

@IU Scott's appraisal aside, how is he at going to the rim? I think we have a couple of kids (Phinisee and Lander) who both have the physical tools to do it, but for some reason only go on occasion, while I watch the Mike Smith's and Andre Curbelo's of the world make a habit of it with success...Both putting it up and passing...

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think Archie is waiting just like he did with Leal...But I believe the kid will eventually get an offer from IU...

@IU Scott's appraisal aside, how is he at going to the rim? I think we have a couple of kids (Phinisee and Lander) who both have the physical tools to do it, but for some reason only go on occasion, while I watch the Mike Smith's and Andre Curbelo'it s of the world make a habit of it with success...Both putting it up and passing...

I think he will also but the thing I would hope is that getting a young man that works as hard as he does helps with that culture that you want and it gives the appearance that you are just waiting for a better athlete. I know its a fine line but he has IT and we need IT and a lot of it

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I think he will also but the thing I would hope is that getting a young man that works as hard as he does helps with that culture that you want and it gives the appearance that you are just waiting for a better athlete. I know its a fine line but he has IT and we need IT and a lot of it

Don't need Archie to offer him but hope the new coach will offer him LOL!

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

50 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

@IU Scott's appraisal aside, how is he at going to the rim? I think we have a couple of kids (Phinisee and Lander) who both have the physical tools to do it, but for some reason only go on occasion, while I watch the Mike Smith's and Andre Curbelo's of the world make a habit of it with success...Both putting it up and passing...

I only watched one game in person last year and he took it to the rim and finished in that game. He also kept his dribble and "Nash-like" found teammates on the perimeter when the shot at the rim wasn't there. Jumped well enough when attacking the rim that I said I believed he could dunk (and subsequent posts said he can). Seemed to have long arms and extended them on defense, which could help make up for a lack of athleticism on D as well.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, cybergates said:

I only watched one game in person last year and he took it to the rim and finished in that game. He also kept his dribble and "Nash-like" found teammates on the perimeter when the shot at the rim wasn't there. Jumped well enough when attacking the rim that I said I believed he could dunk (and subsequent posts said he can). Seemed to have long arms and extended them on defense, which could help make up for a lack of athleticism on D as well.

When I watched him I saw TJ Mcconnell but a lot better shooter

• Like 3

SIAP but found this article on the kid from August...

"NICK BAUMGART: IU had you down to visit Bloomington back in February. What’s the latest on that front? Still hearing from the Hoosiers? Who else? Purdue, Butler? 

BRADEN SMITH: The most interest right now is from IU, Purdue, Santa Clara, Evansville, Davidson, Montana, Florida Atlantic, Western Michigan, Furman, IUPUI, and Ball State."

And this from TDH

"Braden is on Indiana’s list.  He was invited down to Bloomington for IU’s win over Penn State on Feb. 23. (Edit: the visit was the Feb 2020 game with PSU)

If anyone can relate to the size concerns that Smith has faced to this point it is IU head coach Archie Miller.  Playing at around 5-foot-9, Miller wasn’t a highly rated recruit but carved-out a solid college career at North Carolina State.

Miller’s message to Braden in the IU locker room after the game was memorable.

‘I don’t give a &%# how big you are.  If you can play I’m gonna get you.’

“Those were his exact words,” Braden’s father Dustin Smith recalled."

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

SIAP but found this article on the kid from August...

"NICK BAUMGART: IU had you down to visit Bloomington back in February. What’s the latest on that front? Still hearing from the Hoosiers? Who else? Purdue, Butler? 

BRADEN SMITH: The most interest right now is from IU, Purdue, Santa Clara, Evansville, Davidson, Montana, Florida Atlantic, Western Michigan, Furman, IUPUI, and Ball State."

And this from TDH

"Braden is on Indiana’s list.  He was invited down to Bloomington for IU’s win over Penn State on Feb. 23. (Edit: the visit was the Feb 2020 game with PSU)

If anyone can relate to the size concerns that Smith has faced to this point it is IU head coach Archie Miller.  Playing at around 5-foot-9, Miller wasn’t a highly rated recruit but carved-out a solid college career at North Carolina State.

Miller’s message to Braden in the IU locker room after the game was memorable.

‘I don’t give a &%# how big you are.  If you can play I’m gonna get you.’

“Those were his exact words,” Braden’s father Dustin Smith recalled."

Great find.  I remembered that Archie quote. Love it.   I mentioned it in here somewhere but couldn’t find the cite.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Isn't Reamer an AAU coach that use to post over on Peegs site when it was under Rivals?

I remember the name because he wasn't too well liked by The Loopers.

Yes.  He was Bloom.  

Omg the Loopers.  Blast from the past.  I wonder where they ended up?  I know he rubbed some people the wrong way but I did like RMKFAN1 though.  But then again, I liked GoColts and he rubbed many the wrong way.   I value diversity in opinion even if I don’t agree.  

• Like 3