Braden Smith Commits to Purdue

So he led the team in rebounding as a 5'10" freshman.  Then I read he is still 5'10".  

I've read mom and dad both played college ball but couldn't find how tall they are?  If this kid hasn't grown at all height wise from his freshman to sophomore season, I hope he's not done.  

Anyone have any idea how tall his parents are?

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

So he led the team in rebounding as a 5'10" freshman.  Then I read he is still 5'10".  

I've read mom and dad both played college ball but couldn't find how tall they are?  If this kid hasn't grown at all height wise from his freshman to sophomore season, I hope he's not done.  

SIAP

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2019/06/27/ihsaa-basketball-westfield-player-excels-despite-small-stature-charlie-hughes-shootout/1545990001/

Looks like he was 5'9 his freshman year and is 5'10 now according to more recent reports.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

His wingspan is abnormally long for his height which is why he plays bigger than 5’10. He’s likely not finished growing and that’s a telling sign to me is the wingspan.

Edited by DC2345
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

@IndySportsPartizan what about his teammate Cam Haffner?  My coach buddy around there said he'll be d 1 talent as well.  

Don't know much about him to be honest. I just watched their game and no one else on the team stood out. It was a very low scoring game that did no one justice. 

I had Smith down for 4 points on 1-2 shots. Had a couple nice passes but he didnt have the ball in his hands much. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, IndySportsPartizan said:

Don't know much about him to be honest. I just watched their game and no one else on the team stood out. It was a very low scoring game that did no one justice. 

I had Smith down for 4 points on 1-2 shots. Had a couple nice passes but he didnt have the ball in his hands much. 

Who won that one?

On ‎03‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 9:19 AM, btownqb said:

Not about the size of the dog in the fight, it's about the size of the fight in the dog. 

I can agree with that...seen many a dog tree a mountain lion or black bear with their tenacity....and how many kids just tear us to shreds with heart a couple for Wisconsin the other night. That said...wouldn't mind for this particular dog to grow a few inches...wouldn't hurt my feelings at all in reference to his recruitment!

• 3 months later...
8 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Glad to see he is adding some size. Love that he can stroke it too. I hate only having one pg on the roster at a time. Would love to add him with Thornton (who is going to get some time off ball this season). Plenty of playing time to go around and they both have different skill sets to compliment each other. I never want to have a situation like we had with Rob of nobody that can run the point with him hurt or on the bench.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2020 at 4:52 PM, IU4Ever said:

Wow, the vision is off the charts. I did a rewind a few times and thought, "how the f#$k did he see that!!?"

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I said this in the Lander thread after reclassifying. Lander will be here this year and more than likely 1 more. Braden will be our 22 PG or earning very strong minutes off the bench. That's how confident I am in this one.....and I don't know a thing. Just whispers from the North Side.

Would you rather have him over the Thornton kid from Georgia.

• Like 1

Just now, IU Scott said:

Personally it's a win/win. To answer your question right now today I take Thornton. Would be happy with either which is refreshing. We have our PG spot locked up with a Burger Boy for (more than likely) 2 years and we get to choose between a top 30 PG with size and understand of our tradition from Georgia.....or a kid who isn't done growing and bleeds Hoosier. 

To think we are sitting solid at PG position in 22 with everything that is going on??? Kudos Archie. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I’d rather have both. Thornton is more day 1 ready as far as body and skill but Smith could give us valuable minutes even as a freshman. I do not want to be in that situation where we only have one primary ball handler on the roster ever again. It’s been so frustrating watching us when Rob leaves the floor...I don’t ever want to go back to that. I sense there is definitely room for two pgs on this roster and with Lander and Rob both gone by 22...absolutely needed. Could even see Smith red shirt to continue to give him time to mature physically and space out the two.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 3

With his dad being 6’3 and mom 5’8, you would think he’s got a good shot to be 6’2 at the least.  But genetics is complicated so you never know.  

As for Thornton vs Braden, I have no problem taking both.  It can work out.  Seeing the floor and ball handling are always premium skills.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1