Braden Smith Commits to Purdue

1 minute ago, rico said:

I thought you might of and I was just ribbing you.  FWIW, statistically, Yogi is the best PG that ever put on a Hoosier jersey.

Agree. No natty though. I honestly think how good he really was for us was underrated. 

15p 5a 3r career avg 

2 BT championships,  all time leader in assists, 40% from 3 his last three seasons, very good player. If he's 6'2 he is a big time NBA player. 

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

27 pages on a PU commitment.  

Well to be fair most of them were before he became a Toiletmaker.

And most of them since, is debating on if Coach Woodson should have offered or not.

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, rico said:

I thought you might of and I was just ribbing you.  FWIW, statistically, Yogi is the best PG that ever put on a Hoosier jersey.

As someone smart once said, statistics are for losers. For much of his career, Yogi Ferrell was a get in the air and don’t know what to do point guard. For much of his career, Yogi Ferrell was a look for my shot first point guard. After his freshman season he averaged over 12 shots per game every season… not what I want from a point guard. 

I realize that a lot of people on here, especially younger guys, worship Yogi Ferrell. He couldn’t hold a candle to QB or Zeke. As one poster on here says, ShewI’d even take Coverdale, for what he meant to, and did for, his team over Yogi Ferrell 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

As someone smart once said, statistics are for losers. For much of his career, Yogi Ferrell was a get in the air and don’t know what to do point guard. For much of his career, Yogi Ferrell was a look for my shot first point guard. After his freshman season he averaged over 12 shots per game every season… not what I want from a point guard. 

I realize that a lot of people on here, especially younger guys, worship Yogi Ferrell. He couldn’t hold a candle to QB or Zeke. As one poster on here says, ShewI’d even take Coverdale, for what he meant to, and did for, his team over Yogi Ferrell 

In my lifetime I would say the best point guards I have seen at IU are.

1) IT.

2) Buckner.

3) Smart.

4) Yogi.

5) Lewis

13 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

1) IT.

2) Buckner.

3) Smart.

4) Yogi.

5) Lewis

Agree 100% on the first two. For me, I. Thomas is arguably the best player I have seen in an IU uniform.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

1) IT.

2) Buckner.

3) Smart.

4) Yogi.

5) Lewis

Good list- some underappreciated pgs, but maybe not on that list, Strickland, Calloway, Jim Thomas.  Can't forget Coverdale as that was the last to lead a final 4 team.

Edited by Fiveoutofsix
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Better than George McGinnis?

I think so based on his ability to control a game. Loved McGinnis and think if he would've stayed to play for Coach Knight, that would have been a championship team. Thomas was fearless and in the championship game, he dominated UNC.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, cthomas said:

I think so based on his ability to control a game. Loved McGinnis and think if he would've stayed to play for Coach Knight, that would have been a championship team. Thomas was fearless and in the championship game, he dominated UNC.

I see your point. Big George was a force of nature. Definitely two different types of player.

And I totally agree about McGinnis and Knight. Too bad George didn't stick around, but I understand why he didn't...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Big George was a force of nature.

Yes he was. One of my favorite players and a guy who was a prototype for what big men would become in basketball. He was also an outstanding football player in high school. Can you imagine seeing him coming at you on the football field?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, cthomas said:

Yes he was. One of my favorite players and a guy who was a prototype for what big men would become in basketball. He was also an outstanding football player in high school. Can you imagine seeing him coming at you on the football field?

George was Lebron James without the agenda

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, cthomas said:

That'd be a nightmare...

I think the one aspect people who never saw him play don't realize is what a great passer he was. In the open floor, he was terrific. 6'8 guys didn't grab a rebound and go the length of the court back then...he was special...

And beyond the years IU won something, 70-71 ranks as my favorite year...That was a very entertaining team...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2