Braden Smith Commits to Purdue

On 4/26/2021 at 11:08 PM, IU878176 said:

OK, against my better judgement I’ll bite.

Yogi was a 5 star, 2nd ranked PG in the nation, recruit in high school that now plays in the NBA. If Smith was my kid I would be very proud of his 20 per game but a ton of kids across the country do that every year. I think your Yogi vs Smith comparison is, to say the least, a bit of a stretch.

Thank you but the point is very mute these days as the instate team that has kicked our arse for what seems as a decade chose to sign the kid.  It had nothing to do with 26 pts per game that had me intrigued but more of how he managed to score his pts and that is the stop and pop, I can make it in the hoop no matter who is guarding me mentality that this IU team has lacked since YOGi.  Please forgive me as I'm not comparing the talent of Yogi vs Smith but I see Smith as the more natural shooter and creator than Yogi!  Funny, who is ranked 3 star (Smith) vs 5 star(Yogi) but I will throw out Stars and relate to film when I watch how Smith shoots the ball so natural.  Time will tell the whole story here as Smith has committed to PU but I feel that our NBA staff just may have overlooked a potential in state juggernaut due to size and/or race!!!  I grew up the biggest Bob Knight, Born Hoosier supporter but will keep an eye out for this kid to succeed and hope our NBA potential offers don't shoot ourselves in the ars when they can't hit water if they fell out of a boat!  

Edited by BornHoosier
  • Like 1

On 5/8/2021 at 10:38 PM, BornHoosier said:

Thank you but the point is very mute these days as the instate team that has kicked our arse for what seems as a decade chose to sign the kid.  It had nothing to do with 26 pts per game that had me intrigued but more of how he managed to score his pts and that is the stop and pop, I can make it in the hoop no matter who is guarding me mentality that this IU team has lacked since YOGi.  Please forgive me as I'm not comparing the talent of Yogi vs Smith but I see Smith as the more natural shooter and creator than Yogi!  Funny, who is ranked 3 star (Smith) vs 5 star(Yogi) but I will throw out Stars and relate to film when I watch how Smith shoots the ball so natural.  Time will tell the whole story here as Smith has committed to PU but I feel that our NBA staff just may have overlooked a potential in state juggernaut due to size and/or race!!!  I grew up the biggest Bob Knight, Born Hoosier supporter but will keep an eye out for this kid to succeed and hope our NBA potential offers don't shoot ourselves in the ars when they can't hit water if they fell out of a boat!  

Braden Smith may very well end up being a good Big 10 starting point guard, but....

We have 3 point guards with eligibility in the 2022-23 season.  I don't think all 3 will stay, but it's probably the main reason the staff didn't offer him.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Blazin Hazin said:

Braden Smith may very well end up being a good Big 10 starting point guard, but....

We have 3 point guards with eligibility in the 2022-23 season.  I don't think all 3 will stay, but it's probably the main reason the staff didn't offer him.  

I just think that the connections that Yasir and Hunter have that we aren’t worried about the pg spot. Wouldn’t even be surprised to see Thornton or another pg transfer in to us after next year either. If this offense is anything like I expect it...pg is going to have a lot of freedom and I think will generate a lot of interest of kids wanting to play here. Funny Archie being a pg you would think he would be the pg guru but it just never clicked with him. He just seemed to run things too tight to the chest. Happy to see more freedom in our offense in the future.

On 5/2/2021 at 7:41 PM, IU Scott said:

In my lifetime I would say the best point guards I have seen at IU are.

1) IT.

2) Buckner.

3) Smart.

4) Yogi.

5) Lewis

How on god's green earth do you have Keith Smart ahead of Yogi Ferrell?

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/keith-smart-1.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/kevin-ferrell-1.html

Yogi topples him in career avg, assists avg, rebounds avg, A:T ratio, 3pt %,

1900 career pts vs. 760 career pts. Yogi was all B1G 1st team x2, Smart didn't make an all conference team, and Yogi was all league defense, as well. Yogi is 11th all time in the B1G in assists and 20th all time in scoring. He has the 4th highest offensive rating ever in the conference. He is also 4th all time in mins played total in the B1G.

Yogi is much closer to 2nd then he is 4th.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, btownqb said:

1900 career pts vs. 760 career pts. Yogi was all B1G 1st team x2, Smart didn't make an all conference team, and Yogi was all league defense, as well. Yogi is 11th all time in the B1G in assists and 20th all time in scoring. He has the 4th highest offensive rating ever in the conference. He is also 4th all time in mins played total in the B1G.

Come on!!  LOL....you just love poking the bear, don't you!   😂  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

13 hours ago, dgambill said:

I just think that the connections that Yasir and Hunter have that we aren’t worried about the pg spot. Wouldn’t even be surprised to see Thornton or another pg transfer in to us after next year either. If this offense is anything like I expect it...pg is going to have a lot of freedom and I think will generate a lot of interest of kids wanting to play here. Funny Archie being a pg you would think he would be the pg guru but it just never clicked with him. He just seemed to run things too tight to the chest. Happy to see more freedom in our offense in the future.

I just want to see respectability when it comes to a jump shot, forget the 3pt shot!  I don't care who we have on the roster anymore as long as they can put the ball in the hoop!  SHOW ME, as I'm tired of 4 star talent not hitting water if they fell out of a boat!!!  I'm waiting and will judge all this NBA star talent that this staff seems to all of a sudden be able to sign!!!  SHOW ME

Edited by BornHoosier

13 hours ago, dgambill said:

I really hope you are correct dgambill as I don't mean to be against you but what if Smith tears it up and the Yasir or Hunter options fail??  I hope this isn't the case and will hold judgement until the end of the season before I go all in on our coaching staff judgements!  Time will tell

On 4/27/2021 at 8:16 AM, btownqb said:

man.. you're just looking at the ranking. 22p 6a 5r playing in Hamilton Co isn't something that just "a ton of kids across the country" can do. 

I just hope all these NBA type prospects our new coaching staff seems to have all the INS on can only wish they can put up SMITH type numbers in college!!!  How many more BRICKS do we have to endure before A COACHING STAFF understands that 40+% as a HS career has to mean something correct?  I mean Romeo never showed the stop and pop ability Smith showed throughout his HS career but lets continue to throw star rankings at players!  Tape shows me all I need to know and quite honest its the constant pts per game of 22 that says all I need to know!  I don't want to see elite athleticism driving to the rim shooting 3ft layups to be impressed, I want to see cross over step back 3 pt attempts that go in over and over at a clips of 40% to be impressed!!!  That to me SHOWS true talent but we all shall see unfortunately.  dgambill has his heart on these NBA type talents that never have a 40+% from Seth Curry LAND but glad they can drive to the rim vs lesser talent at the AAU level!  

Edited by BornHoosier
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, dgambill said:

Funny Archie being a pg you would think he would be the pg guru but it just never clicked with him.

This. I think one of Archie’s biggest mistakes was trying to be the “hard ass” type of coach, so he could appease the Knight crowd. Don’t get me wrong… I loved Coach Knight, but that’s no longer appealing to the youth. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

This. I think one of Archie’s biggest mistakes was trying to be the “hard ass” type of coach, so he could appease the Knight crowd. Don’t get me wrong… I loved Coach Knight, but that’s no longer appealing to the youth. 

No idea what you are referring to as I would hope at the end of the day is did said player put the ball in the hoop??  Dont care about "hard ass" or "Knights crowd"?  Does the player catch net is all I'm interested in!

7 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

I just hope all these NBA type prospects our new coaching staff seems to have all the INS on can only wish they can put up SMITH type numbers in college!!!  How many more BRICKS do we have to endure before A COACHING STAFF understands that 40+% as a HS career has to mean something correct?  I mean Romeo never showed the stop and pop ability Smith showed throughout his HS career but lets continue to throw star rankings at players!  Tape shows me all I need to know and quite honest its the constant pts per game of 22 that says all I need to know!  I don't want to see elite athleticism driving to the rim shooting 3ft layups to be impressed, I want to see cross over step back 3 pt attempts that go in over and over at a clips of 40% to be impressed!!!  That to me SHOWS true talent but we all shall see unfortunately.  dgambill has his heart on these NBA type talents that never have a 40+% from Seth Curry LAND but glad they can drive to the rim vs lesser talent at the AAU level!  

Actually.. Romeo absolutely showed that until his wrist injury. Romeo could flat out flick it.  Maybe not quite what the % Braden does, it's unfortunate for Romeo that injury slowed him. I still laugh at many of our fan base that act like Romeo was a bust.. he avged 17p 6r as a FR. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Actually.. Romeo absolutely showed that until his wrist injury. Romeo could flat out flick it.  Maybe not quite what the % Braden does, it's unfortunate for Romeo that injury slowed him. I still laugh at many of our fan base that act like Romeo was a bust.. he avged 17p 6r as a FR. 

💯

Averaged that in Archie's hindering offensive sets (stand in the corner) with the injury and without being a "ballhog/diva/me-first" player (calls from fans/media to be more aggressive/take more shots). Only took 12.3 shots/game.

image.png.9e1efddaf9d3e5a41ae8b350fa5c69c2.png

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, cybergates said:

💯

Averaged that in Archie's hindering offensive sets (stand in the corner) with the injury and without being a "ballhog/diva/me-first" player (calls from fans/media to be more aggressive/take more shots). Only took 12.3 shots/game.

image.png.9e1efddaf9d3e5a41ae8b350fa5c69c2.png

And zero help around him, other than Juwan Morgan... and those two didn't compliment each other, at all. Romeo could flat out play though. I don't even want to get into how much that season p'ed me off. Then we take Anderson instead of Henry in that class, as well. Smh. The best player in the MIC and we didn't make a spot for him. 1K pt scorer in 3 seasons at MSU. Our teams under CAM were so poorly constructed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/8/2021 at 11:38 PM, BornHoosier said:

Good luck to the kid. Maybe he will turn out to be great, and PU struck gold, but we are not exactly the only school to possibly mis-diagnose his talent as his only other offers were Belmont and Appalachian State. 
Every year some guys fall through the cracks. Maybe he is one of them, we will see.

Edited by IU878176
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

And zero help around him, other than Juwan Morgan... and those two didn't compliment each other, at all. Romeo could flat out play though. I don't even want to get into how much that season p'ed me off. Then we take Anderson instead of Henry in that class, as well. Smh. The best player in the MIC and we didn't make a spot for him. 1K pt scorer in 3 seasons at MSU. Our teams under CAM were so poorly constructed.

I hate that we missed Henry too. That said EVERYONE thought Anderson could stroke the ball....his best asset...he would have complemented what this team did so well! I mean a lot I don't like about Archie's sets etc but I mean things really went about as bad as they possibly could for the guy. Imagine if Anderson was able to adjust to B1G basketball and be a reliable threat from the outside...38-40% knocking down 2-3 a game?? Imagine if Hunter was healthy and progressed as he looks like he "could" have...another shooter that can knock down 3's at a similar clip and give us help there. What happened with Rob??? The freshman that attacked and was a bulldog....if Race had stayed healthy and progressed quicker...if Romeo hadn't hurt his wrist again...(or even if he stayed for two years)....I mean honestly Archie didn't catch a break...but he also didn't coach his way out of anything either. Combine all those things and then the direction the program was headed and it was appropriate to take swift action....but man...I think Archie built his teams MUCH better than Crean who had much higher ups and downs and missing recruiting classes etc. Archie unfortunately just had some big whiffs and didn't/wasn't able to right the course quickly. The lack of shooting was startling....but man it's hard to find fault with the combo of Anderson/Hunter instead of Henry...considering who they were intended to compliment Romeo and Morgan. I mean he got the Armaan over Newman thing right...just a perfect storm of injuries/poor development/and execution on his and his teams part. It's so weird it didn't work out...on paper things should have been so much better...which is also why his tenure was so frustrating!

Not sure why the portal wasn't used more to address our issues especially shooting woes...perhaps Archie thought he would earn more time but things just fell off a cliff for him so fast. You look at how quickly and easily this program has been able to plug holes and vastly change direction with Woody....it was available to Archie too but just not utilized. Why were we hoarding scholarships like they were food for the winter???? If your Duke or UK you have talent at such a high level you aren't worried about whiffing on guys...why were we protecting players playing time?? You earn it or you transfer out. Bring in competition and bring in shooting...but we really didn't until it was much much too late with Stewart. Should have addressed our misses (Rob/Hunter/Anderson) much much sooner instead of just trusting they would come around.

Edited by dgambill

6 hours ago, IU878176 said:

Good luck to the kid. Maybe he will turn out to be great, and PU struck gold, but we are not exactly the only school to possibly mis-diagnose his talent as his only other offers were Belmont and Appalachian State. 
Every year some guys fall through the cracks. Maybe he is one of them, we will see.

Like you said maybe he will turn out to be a good player one day, but there is a reason not many high major schools was offering him. If I remember right, which I might not, didn't people use to complain when Crean offered players a scholarship when their only other offers were from schools like Belmont and Appalachian State.

11 hours ago, btownqb said:

I don't think he was a bust just that I have a different mindset of a great basketball player vs everyone else.  You tell me an instate kid with all the accolades that Rome had and I had vision of a kid that could shoot lights out anywhere on the court and a little let down that he was just a good scorer.  Seems most kids these days are just that good scorers and shooting is a lost art.  27% from 3pt range is a little disappointing for someone toted to be the next big thing coming out of the state and add in a 72% ft percentage further tells that shooting is not his strong suit.  Cant argue with 17pts per game as a Frosh lol.

19 hours ago, Hoosier51 said:

Like you said maybe he will turn out to be a good player one day, but there is a reason not many high major schools was offering him. If I remember right, which I might not, didn't people use to complain when Crean offered players a scholarship when their only other offers were from schools like Belmont and Appalachian State.

Prillers only offer was from Incarnate Word and there were a A TON of justifiable complaints. Also a bunch of complaints about the Grant Gelon offer and others.

Edited by IU878176
  • Like 1