Hendershot Arrested on multiple charges....

CTrojan88

2 minutes ago, Cottage Grove said:

We disagree, and that's fine. My opinion is that grabbing a woman by the throat (and leaving a mark that is still there when the police arrive per the initial reporting) and then pushing her up against a wall goes beyond kids being kids. I don't think he should be thrown in jail for the rest of his life or anything of the sort, but I don't think he deserves the privilege of maintaining a scholarship and representing IU either.

Understand. No harm in disagreeing. I was close with Sherron Wilkerson during his problem that led him to him being dismissed. Taught me a very early lesson. What's reported or even put in a police report sometimes isn't remotely close to the truth. I like to give anyone (kids or adults) benefit of doubt if they've never done anything before. Guess we'll find out but my guess is counseling and tons of stairs will be more suitable. Just my little opinion.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Cottage Grove said:

We disagree, and that's fine. My opinion is that grabbing a woman by the throat (and leaving a mark that is still there when the police arrive per the initial reporting) and then pushing her up against a wall goes beyond kids being kids. I don't think he should be thrown in jail for the rest of his life or anything of the sort, but I don't think he deserves the privilege of maintaining a scholarship and representing IU either.

Why do you just know more than the law and IU board of conduct? How do you know, with very little info, what to do here? You dont. You're 100% jumping to conclusions. 

That's honestly as disgusting as anything imo. 

Getting to dissect a situation on the internet is easy. Also.. if what Leathernecks says is true this whole thing will probably get thrown out. 

So... what are we kicking him off for? 

As someone who's had charges against them, then to be reduced, and then to be totally thrown out (because they were bogus)... I find it pretty crappy that you're just willing to throw a 21 year old under the bus. I'm glad they didnt do that to me. 

15 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Understand. No harm in disagreeing. I was close with Sherron Wilkerson during his problem that led him to him being dismissed. Taught me a very early lesson. What's reported or even put in a police report sometimes isn't remotely close to the truth. I like to give anyone (kids or adults) benefit of doubt if they've never done anything before. Guess we'll find out but my guess is counseling and tons of stairs will be more suitable. Just my little opinion.

Definitely understand, and appreciate the perspective. My perspective is from the other side as I have a family member who was the victim of domestic violence when she was younger. In my experience the police often weren't called the first, or even second, time that something happened. I can certainly understand, though, that others have different viewpoints.

I find it troubling that, since he was to be limited or may have been out of spring practice anyway, that his suspension is effectively nothing. If police report is accurate , that is.

7 minutes ago, Cottage Grove said:

Definitely understand, and appreciate the perspective. My perspective is from the other side as I have a family member who was the victim of domestic violence when she was younger. In my experience the police often weren't called the first, or even second, time that something happened. I can certainly understand, though, that others have different viewpoints.

I find it troubling that, since he was to be limited or may have been out of spring practice anyway, that his suspension is effectively nothing. If police report is accurate , that is.

There's nothing troubling about it. People that are actually informed are making decisions accordingly. 

8 minutes ago, Cottage Grove said:

Understand and I get it. My better half deals with domestic issues (clients) all the time. It's been my second hand experience that many, many factors go into each case. I don't want to paint a broad stroke with each one. I'll have to wait it out and hear the details. If Allen thinks he needs to be booted....that tells me there's stuff we don't know about. If he's brought back it tells me this is one of those overblown issues. While on the subject of things like this. Thought I would share what Urban Meyer's policy was on arrests,etc...and this was just at Florida. https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/os-xpm-2010-09-17-os-florida-gators-arrests-list-20100915-story.html

Always curious why most don't take him or his media schlep Dakich to task on this stuff.

I would certainly agree that there’s no place for legitimate domestic violence anywhere.  Tom Allen is a very religious guy, to the point he makes appearances on religious programming.  If anyone can be trusted on this, it’s him. With his religious background, I doubt he would keep Hendershot around if it weren’t the right thing to do.  

47 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Why do you just know more than the law and IU board of conduct? How do you know, with very little info, what to do here? You dont. You're 100% jumping to conclusions. 

That's honestly as disgusting as anything imo. 

Getting to dissect a situation on the internet is easy. Also.. if what Leathernecks says is true this whole thing will probably get thrown out. 

So... what are we kicking him off for? 

As someone who's had charges against them, then to be reduced, and then to be totally thrown out (because they were bogus)... I find it pretty crappy that you're just willing to throw a 21 year old under the bus. I'm glad they didnt do that to me. 

My initial point was made quickly while doing several other things. Reading points by Seeking and Bob, in particular, helped me to see that. That said, I think you're making judgments in the opposite direction with the same limited info that I have. At least I'm basing my opinion on reported information, not on the assumption that other people are making good decisions with proof of the assumption. I stand by my point. If the original reporting is true then I don't think he should be on the team  

You...seem quick to anger. Have a good night.

3 minutes ago, Cottage Grove said:

My initial point was made quickly while doing several other things. Reading points by Seeking and Bob, in particular, helped me to see that. That said, I think you're making judgments in the opposite direction with the same limited info that I have. At least I'm basing my opinion on reported information, not on the assumption that other people are making good decisions with proof of the assumption. I stand by my point. If the original reporting is true then I don't think he should be on the team  

You...seem quick to anger. Have a good night.

You dont have all the info. Glad you aren't making the decisions. I'm making my opinions using logic and fairness, our athletes are to be treated fairly and not to be made an example of. Peyton should get a punishment that's fair and worthy of whatever crime he may have committed. Nothing more. 

Have a good night. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

If he previously wanted a jury trial, I'm assuming he was planning on pleading not guilty. Can't imagine he would be changing that now unless he knew a guilty plea would keep him on the team. Otherwise, might as well risk the jury trial.

Procedure. Probably agreed on misdemeanor which will be erased if he completes something along the lines of counseling/pretrial diversion or whatever. My better half has had clients charged with multiple felonies and misdemeanors on a Friday and have a simple misdemeanor by the following Friday. Not a wrong or right conversation just what it is. Constant battle between police and DA's.....or just watch The Wire and it covers it as beautiful as any show ever has.

Regarding Hendershot. Hopefully he learns something about himself and those around him. I'm all for second and third chances with kids.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Procedure. Probably agreed on misdemeanor which will be erased if he completes something along the lines of counseling/pretrial diversion or whatever. My better half has had clients charged with multiple felonies and misdemeanors on a Friday and have a simple misdemeanor by the following Friday. Not a wrong or right conversation just what it is. Constant battle between police and DA's.....or just watch The Wire and it covers it as beautiful as any show ever has.

Regarding Hendershot. Hopefully he learns something about himself and those around him. I'm all for second and third chances with kids.

I was just thinking the timing was interesting. With it being this long since it happened, I would assume he has discussed it with the staff/university and taking the plea agreement will keep him on the team. If this happened shortly after his arrest I wouldn't read much into it.

And like you said, hopefully this is a learning experience. This is a time when I appreciate having Allen as the coach. I trust that he'll make a decision that will help Peyton, not just one that will help the team.

• 3 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

If you’re Tom Allen, how many games do you suspend him? 1 or 2?

Four games because we probably won’t need him until Maryland. If he is going to be suspended for the Wisconsin game then there is really no reason to rush him back into the line up.

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

If those got dismissed... boys idk if he's suspended at all. 

That wouldn't surprise me.  I think it will depend on how Allen wants to look at it.  If he only looks at the criminal charge, criminal trespassing is pretty mild.  If he looks at the whole incident and not just the court charges, a game or two is probably warranted.  I'd be fine with anywhere from 0-3.

2 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

That wouldn't surprise me.  I think it will depend on how Allen wants to look at it.  If he only looks at the criminal charge, criminal trespassing is pretty mild.  If he looks at the whole incident and not just the court charges, a game or two is probably warranted.  I'd be fine with anywhere from 0-3.

Right. We just don't know the details.. this is NOT black and white. We don't TRULY what happened.  Whether that's good or bad for PH idk.. I hope he makes due his 2nd chance, assuming that's what it is.  

I trust Tom Allen.  He’s been nothing but an honorable man.  This is a very religious man who believes in LEO.  As an educator, he will no doubt use this to teach the young man and the whole team.  This isn’t like the coaches up in East Lansing who have zero moral compass.  You had an assistant at a MSU who said he didn’t want his daughter anywhere near the Robertson degenerate from Ft Wayne and Dantonio took him anyway.   I’ve got two young daughters.  Way too young for college but when the time comes,  I wouldn’t let them drive by MSU let alone go there.  

As for Hendershot, this is a kid who isn’t just a college football player.  He’s got an NFL career ahead of him, probably a significant one.  I bet he’s drafted top 4 rounds.  He’s 250 lbs and can really run.  He’s got great hands and has good quickness to get open.  I say that because he’s got a lot to lose if this isn’t handled with finesse.  You don’t wreck everything for him without clear cut reasons which don’t seem to be here like what precipitated Dantonio’s running from the posse.   He made a mistake, but Tom Allen is in the best position to know the young man, his true character, etc. 

7 hours ago, Sark said:

If he put his hands on a woman, how don’t you send a strong message by suspending him for at least 3 games? I would be surprised if that not the punishment that Coach Allen and IU give.

So you punish him for a crime he didn't get convicted for?

Some people assume what he did just by going off the initial police report.  I read a few places that the girl put on Facebook/Twitter that it really wasn't that big of a deal.  Initial police reports are often incorrect once more facts come out.  I'm sure Allen knows what actually happened way better than any of us, and I completely trust whatever decision he makes.

11 hours ago, rico said:

So you punish him for a crime he didn't get convicted for?

Don't players get kicked off teams for issues that don't involve the police? Just because he's not not being sentenced by a court of law for specific crimes doesn't mean the team can't punish him however they want. Crimes are committed by players all the time where police are not involved or don't press charges , but the coaches find out and punish them accordingly (or at least some presumably do). 

Archived