Hendershot Arrested on multiple charges....

CTrojan88

2 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I wasn't able to find anything more about my previous post.  I would love to see it if true to shed some light on things.

I wonder how much, if any, of this will be decided by the administration.  I remember with Ellison, he was practicing with the team before getting kicked off.  I can't remember if I'm making this up or if I heard it at the time that it was basically the administration that decided it.  Pretty sure he wasn't in any legal trouble either and it was just from the university.

I feel like IU has a very heavy hand when it comes to these kinds of issues, so I wouldn't really be surprised with any punishment given in this case.  I would guess a lot of it will depend on what the victim has to say about it.

Also, I'm sure someone more in the know about law can answer this one.  At this point, if she says she doesn't want to press charges, does that mean anything?  Would charges be dropped, or is that not under her control?

All good questions.  I am neither a lawyer or a law enforcement guy.  No place for domestic violence in this country.  But I tell you I have witnessed some bizarre things first hand.  Due process is what is needed here with the law and the university.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I wasn't able to find anything more about my previous post.  I would love to see it if true to shed some light on things.

I wonder how much, if any, of this will be decided by the administration.  I remember with Ellison, he was practicing with the team before getting kicked off.  I can't remember if I'm making this up or if I heard it at the time that it was basically the administration that decided it.  Pretty sure he wasn't in any legal trouble either and it was just from the university.

I feel like IU has a very heavy hand when it comes to these kinds of issues, so I wouldn't really be surprised with any punishment given in this case.  I would guess a lot of it will depend on what the victim has to say about it.

Also, I'm sure someone more in the know about law can answer this one.  At this point, if she says she doesn't want to press charges, does that mean anything?  Would charges be dropped, or is that not under her control?

Unfortunately I have personal experience with your last paragraph.  Last year a guy pulled a knife on me outside of a gas station. I will just say he is the lucky one. Anyway police showed up and arrested him.  I didnt sign a statement but got called in for a deposition anyway.  At the end the prosecutor asked if I wanted to drop the charges and I did.  Pretty sure charges can be dropped at any time but the "victim" has to do it.  

Took 6 months from the event until the deposition.  I didnt know the prosecutor filed charges. If I did I would have tried to end it sooner. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Bob said:

So has there been anymore news on Herndershot case? 

There is a "pretrial conference" on April 15th.  You can search court cases in Indiana.  I don't feel like it needs to be posted on here, but if anybody wants a link to the case to stay updated, just PM me.

I'm not sure how much the legal part will play into his punishment.  Charges could get dropped and IU could still feel that his actions were inappropriate and suspend him/kick him off.  Also, he could get convicted on each account, and IU might find that it isn't egregious enough to kick him off the team.  Hard to tell what we'll do based on what the courts decide, but I doubt we'll hear anything from IU until after April 15th.

11 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

There is a "pretrial conference" on April 15th.  You can search court cases in Indiana.  I don't feel like it needs to be posted on here, but if anybody wants a link to the case to stay updated, just PM me.

I'm not sure how much the legal part will play into his punishment.  Charges could get dropped and IU could still feel that his actions were inappropriate and suspend him/kick him off.  Also, he could get convicted on each account, and IU might find that it isn't egregious enough to kick him off the team.  Hard to tell what we'll do based on what the courts decide, but I doubt we'll hear anything from IU until after April 15th.

Thank you and yes this could have several different outcomes both legally and university wise.

11 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I'm not trying to diminish anything he did however in this case....he's already received far more punishment in public and reputation world than anything he'll receive as a first time offender.....and that's if the case doesn't get kicked for a variety of reasons. Anyone know if Dakich sister is still in Monroe County prosecutor's office? Not sure if that hurts or helps. 

6 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm not trying to diminish anything he did however in this case....he's already received far more punishment in public and reputation world than anything he'll receive as a first time offender.....and that's if the case doesn't get kicked for a variety of reasons. Anyone know if Dakich sister is still in Monroe County prosecutor's office? Not sure if that hurts or helps. 

Not saying he should or shouldn't get kicked off the team, but when you're given privileges like a free education, stipends and all the other fringe benefits of being a student athlete at a large public university, you're going to be held to a higher standard than other citizens and students; it's all part of the deal. 

24 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

Not saying he should or shouldn't get kicked off the team, but when you're given privileges like a free education, stipends and all the other fringe benefits of being a student athlete at a large public university, you're going to be held to a higher standard than other citizens and students; it's all part of the deal. 

I just want him to be treated fairly. What fairly ends up being.. I dont know. I dont want him to be "made example of". If that makes sense. 

• 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, Cottage Grove said:

I don't want to jump to conclusions, but honestly, if he's allowed back on the team in any way whatsoever I find it disgusting. He should be gone. Period.

Wait what? 1st offense? All misdemeanors and he should be gone? 

18 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Wait what? 1st offense? All misdemeanors and he should be gone? 

In the initial reporting of this he was arrested on felony charges that have since been lowered to misdemeanors. That can happen for any number of reasons. In the initial reporting he grabbed her around the throat and slammed her against a wall. Has that been disputed?  

People can try to split hairs here (grabbing throat and pushing against a wall vs hitting, felony reduced to misdemeanors), but I would prefer higher standards to for an athlete at IU when domestic violence is involved.

36 minutes ago, Cottage Grove said:

In the initial reporting of this he was arrested on felony charges that have since been lowered to misdemeanors. That can happen for any number of reasons. In the initial reporting he grabbed her around the throat and slammed her against a wall. Has that been disputed?  

People can try to split hairs here (grabbing throat and pushing against a wall vs hitting, felony reduced to misdemeanors), but I would prefer higher standards to for an athlete at IU when domestic violence is involved.

An iu athlete should be treated no differently than an athlete or any regular person for that matter. 

23 minutes ago, btownqb said:

An iu athlete should be treated no differently than an athlete or any regular person for that matter. 

We can agree to disagree on that. I think a full scholarship should carry with it more responsibility. That said, and I honestly don't know, what is IU's standard policy & procedure in dealing with students from the at-large student body who are arrested under similar circumstances? My gut tells me most students in similar situations wouldn't be welcomed back.particularly with the case still pending, as I understand it to be.

Just now, Cottage Grove said:

We can agree to disagree on that. I think a full scholarship should carry with it more responsibility. That said, and I honestly don't know, what is IU's standard policy & procedure in dealing with students from the at-large student body who are arrested under similar circumstances? My gut tells me most students in similar situations wouldn't be welcomed back.particularly with the case still pending, as I understand it to be.

Just doesnt make any sense, at all to me, to kick him off. To each their own. 

Looks like PH will continue to be a Hoosier though. 

2 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Also, remember, I think his GF agrees he didn’t hit her.  Correct me if I’m wrong.  

I remember shortly after it happened that people were saying she posted on Facebook that it wasn't really that bad and it was being blown out of proportion.  Something along those lines is what I had heard, but I never saw the actual post.  Pretty sure it was Facebook.

It will be interesting what happens to his court date.  It was originally schedule for last week.  Hopefully the May date doesn't get moved back and everything can get sorted out and everyone can move on.  Maybe they'll start doing Zoom court sessions for things like this that don't require a jury.

3 hours ago, Cottage Grove said:

I don't want to jump to conclusions, but honestly, if he's allowed back on the team in any way whatsoever I find it disgusting. He should be gone. Period.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I don't agree. Kids are kids. Even adults are adults. Same situation in adult world usually either gets dismissed or someone is sent to counseling. Kick him off forever for this? I think we can help him out more by keeping him around.

42 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I don't agree. Kids are kids. Even adults are adults. Same situation in adult world usually either gets dismissed or someone is sent to counseling. Kick him off forever for this? I think we can help him out more by keeping him around.

We disagree, and that's fine. My opinion is that grabbing a woman by the throat (and leaving a mark that is still there when the police arrive per the initial reporting) and then pushing her up against a wall goes beyond kids being kids. I don't think he should be thrown in jail for the rest of his life or anything of the sort, but I don't think he deserves the privilege of maintaining a scholarship and representing IU either.

Archived