Let's talk guards....

KoB2011

I felt like this deserved its own thread versus getting lost in a game thread or another discussion.  Our two primary ball handlers, Al and Josh, are combining to play 49 minutes per game with 6.3 assists and 2.0 turnovers.  There's been a lot of talk about how good Al has been at taking care of the ball, but very quietly, Josh has been great as well just slightly bringing his assists up from last year and dropping his turnovers by .5 per game.  

We still have a lot of flaws, but if these two can continue to facilitate the offense without turning the ball over we are going to win some games people aren't expecting.  That has been Wisconsin's formula with less talented teams for years.  Our offense still isn't where it needs to be, but we are already SO MUCH better in half-court sets than we ever were under Crean.  I really am enjoying watching this group and the potential I see in our offense.  

I think Newkirk is every bit as important to our success as Johnson.  We need Johnson to be good to even beat mediocre teams.  But, along with Rob, we need Josh to play well to beat good teams. 

As good as Al has been, and he's my favorite player to watch on this team, he is not yet capable of the type of offensive game that Josh had last night.

I would like to see Al take Devonte's starting spot.  I think Green works better providing a spark off the bench.  As we get into the heart of the conference season, maybe Collin for Al.  

CuJo is a mystery.  It just appears he has zero confidence, and I hate that because I think he has the ability to be a difference making sniper off the bench.  If we don't land Romeo, we're going to need CuJo to be at least a Rob Johnson level shooter next season.  Green can, and likely will be, a scorer, but never a shooter.   

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I think Newkirk is every bit as important to our success as Johnson.  We need Johnson to be good to even beat mediocre teams.  But, along with Rob, we need Josh to play well to beat good teams. 

As good as Al has been, and he's my favorite player to watch on this team, he is not yet capable of the type of offensive game that Josh had last night.

I would like to see Al take Devonte's starting spot.  I think Green works better providing a spark off the bench.  As we get into the heart of the conference season, maybe Collin for Al.  

CuJo is a mystery.  It just appears he has zero confidence, and I hate that because I think he has the ability to be a difference making sniper off the bench.  If we don't land Romeo, we're going to need CuJo to be at least a Rob Johnson level shooter next season.  Green can, and likely will be, a scorer, but never a shooter.   

I agree with this other than Green not being a shooter. He had shown flashes and certainly has the pedigree. 

I'll admit that Al has completely surprised me. I thought he was a long term project. I expected him to maybe get some minutes next year and then really start producing his final two years at IU. Couldn't be more happy to be wrong. He is steady and consistent-you know what you are going to get from him. Love being wrong on this one.

5 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Green has shown way, way more potential as a shooter than CuJo ever has.  Green has a sweet stroke, he’s just a little streaky.  CuJo may have looked good on his high school highlight tapes, but he’s been a pretty awful shooter since he got to IU.  Seems like his shot is clanging off the back of the rim almost every time.

^^ I'm going to have to disagree. CuJo has tons of talent, but he doesn't seem to have confidence yet (and still needs to add strength). He's just a soph, and it's still really early in the season. Really don't think there's a basis to judge his college career and potential at this point, and we all saw what he was capable of in that KU game. Give him time. 

4 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

Cujo isn’t a big ten caliber player yet, and unfortunately may never be.  Green needs to learn to play within himself and he will be fine.

I'll bite:

What do you know that makes it absolutely clear to you that CuJo may never be able to compete at the Big Ten level?

I love Al he's a 6'4" PG.  He can use either hand, shoot from deep, shoot midrange, go to the hoop, find the open man, makes good quick decisions, can defend, and doesn't turn it over.  The only negative I see is that he is not a great creator.  He's OK but not great or elite.   Did I mention that he's 6'4"?

3 hours ago, slojoe said:

I love Al he's a 6'4" PG.  He can use either hand, shoot from deep, shoot midrange, go to the hoop, find the open man, makes good quick decisions, can defend, and doesn't turn it over.  The only negative I see is that he is not a great creator.  He's OK but not great or elite.   Did I mention that he's 6'4"?

Al has made 90% of I would consider to be the 'best' passes the Hoosiers have made this year.  Not always flashy, but the right pass at the right time to the right person.

Archived