Penn State post game

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, ButlerHoosier said:

So I am also wondering why Anderson has been MIA for the last 3 or 4 games. 

Someone else said it (sorry, can't remember who) in another thread: It's as simple as Jerome Hunter earning more minutes after Archie let Jerome and Damezi compete for time earlier in the season.

Jerome's shot is coming around, and his defense is improving (Hello, Daniel Oturu!)...

I will say this, Damezi hustled his butt off when he got in there, but his shot never came around and he got caught out of position on defense sometimes...

Archie did say he was going to shorten the bench...

53 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Someone else said it (sorry, can't remember who) in another thread: It's as simple as Jerome Hunter earning more minutes after Archie let Jerome and Damezi compete for time earlier in the season.

Jerome's shot is coming around, and his defense is improving (Hello, Daniel Oturu!)...

I will say this, Damezi hustled his butt off when he got in there, but his shot never came around and he got caught out of position on defense sometimes...

Archie did say he was going to shorten the bench...

Good post and I hope completely accurate.  He's friends and former teammates with Blake Wesley and he has a younger brother.  Not sure how good he is.  There is nothing wrong with slow and steady growth.  He has shown some improvement and he hustles 100%.  Hopefully he can be a steady 10 min guy as a very strong junior and 15 minutes as a senior.  Nothing wrong with that in the get old stay old model.  Not every guy winds up being all B1G. 

10 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Good post and I hope completely accurate.  He's friends and former teammates with Blake Wesley and he has a younger brother.  Not sure how good he is.  There is nothing wrong with slow and steady growth.  He has shown some improvement and he hustles 100%.  Hopefully he can be a steady 10 min guy as a very strong junior and 15 minutes as a senior.  Nothing wrong with that in the get old stay old model.  Not every guy winds up being all B1G. 

The problem for Damezi is that we have Jerome the next 3 seasons and we have Geronimo, Galloway, and Leal coming in.   I just don't see it working out for him here.

3 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

The problem for Damezi is that we have Jerome the next 3 seasons and we have Geronimo, Galloway, and Leal coming in.   I just don't see it working out for him here.

He is almost infinitely stronger than them.  Like I said, it's perfectly ok for a guy to not become all B1G without the fans kicking him off the team.  

Minutes for the big wing are going to be hard to come by.  I'll wait until season ends and the deck shuffles.  It makes you though wonder if one of the 2 of Leal or Galloway wouldn't be perfect red shirt or prep school guys?  That's another thing that this summer will tell the coaches.  

Another thing that has not been mentioned lately because we have won 2 games in a row but you know it, I know it, and I pray CAM knows it, he must add start now B1G material at the guard spots.  Rob is good not great, he may get there if healthy.  Al is a good 6th man.  Archie has said he is looking at transfers, grad transfers, even overseas.  

You know how it is, we love to hate the guy who isn't  performing and love to love our recruits.  I would be shocked if some mid 100 ranked skinny recruits, though maybe more all around players bump a junior Demezi even further down the chain.  I also won't be shocked at a transfer.  Hope he doesn't for the reasons already stated.

13 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

He has to start hitting shots. Nothing is going in for him. That can snowball, you start aiming instead of just letting it fly. Then everything starts clinking off the rim. I don’t know what his numbers are, but I can’t imagine them being very good. 

1 hour ago, Bob said:

He has to start hitting shots. Nothing is going in for him. That can snowball, you start aiming instead of just letting it fly. Then everything starts clinking off the rim. I don’t know what his numbers are, but I can’t imagine them being very good. 

Not good for a shooter...23.3% from 3 last year, 22.9% this year. 

image.png.328bc7e50660a49f326bdc52f6f5a72e.png

Demez started the year showing real progress -- and a number of posts commented on how improved he was and that he should be getting more time. He was showing improved D. But he and Hunter were both given limited minutes, which, frankly, made it difficult for both to get into a rhythm and to earn playing time -- when either made a defensive mistake, they were pulled -- that's CAM's approach. Hunter earned his playing time eventually, including from his efforts in practice, and there was a period when Demez was unable to play. It's really not as simple as pulling up stats. Wings need floor time and experience to get into rhythm and grow their games. I wouldn't be writing off Demez, this is kind of like the overreacting to wins and losses we see here. He has talent, he can grow his game, and he probably will.

2 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

He is almost infinitely stronger than them.  Like I said, it's perfectly ok for a guy to not become all B1G without the fans kicking him off the team.  

Minutes for the big wing are going to be hard to come by.  I'll wait until season ends and the deck shuffles.  It makes you though wonder if one of the 2 of Leal or Galloway wouldn't be perfect red shirt or prep school guys?  That's another thing that this summer will tell the coaches.  

Another thing that has not been mentioned lately because we have won 2 games in a row but you know it, I know it, and I pray CAM knows it, he must add start now B1G material at the guard spots.  Rob is good not great, he may get there if healthy.  Al is a good 6th man.  Archie has said he is looking at transfers, grad transfers, even overseas.  

You know how it is, we love to hate the guy who isn't  performing and love to love our recruits.  I would be shocked if some mid 100 ranked skinny recruits, though maybe more all around players bump a junior Demezi even further down the chain.  I also won't be shocked at a transfer.  Hope he doesn't for the reasons already stated.

I think this is over stating things a bit. While guard play is certainly a major weakness, we are still in the midst of a pretty good season. Given what we have coming and going this coming off-season, I would say we will be in a better position next year even before you factor in player development. I would love to be able improve upon that for next year, but we will be in better shape than this year regardless. 

31 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

I think this is over stating things a bit. While guard play is certainly a major weakness, we are still in the midst of a pretty good season. Given what we have coming and going this coming off-season, I would say we will be in a better position next year even before you factor in player development. I would love to be able improve upon that for next year, but we will be in better shape than this year regardless. 

How good do you want to be?  Our athletic director said consistently competing for championships.   CAM didn't bring in any start now guard talent this year and we are projecting as a ten seed.  Next year will be slightly better with growth and maturity but probably looking at best a 5 seed type team if all goes well and we roll the dice with the guards we have.  As CAM has said, he's looking and he's looking for a reason.  Not overstating anything.  Not one guard on this year's team would start on any top 20 team in the nation.  Thats sad.  I don't accept that,  the AD doesn't accept that.  Let's hope the coach doesn't either. 

44 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I dont know why but I like our chances. Energy level is up. Gotta establish TJD early and often and have GREAT DG show.up. I think we win and put a giant fork in the Toiletmakers 

I just don't see it.  We're not going to get the PU team that Michigan got. We'll get the one that Virginia, MSU, and Iowa got. 

12 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I just don't see it.  We're not going to get the PU team that Michigan got. We'll get the one that Virginia, MSU, and Iowa got. 

I don't disagree, but much like I said to my friends before the Minny game, at some point they're going to surprise us again in a good way. Beating PU at PU would be sweet revenge. 

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

How good do you want to be?  Our athletic director said consistently competing for championships.   CAM didn't bring in any start now guard talent this year and we are projecting as a ten seed.  Next year will be slightly better with growth and maturity but probably looking at best a 5 seed type team if all goes well and we roll the dice with the guards we have.  As CAM has said, he's looking and he's looking for a reason.  Not overstating anything.  Not one guard on this year's team would start on any top 20 team in the nation.  Thats sad.  I don't accept that,  the AD doesn't accept that.  Let's hope the coach doesn't either. 

I'm seeing us projecting as a 9 and definitely trending up. 

We're saying similar things. 5 seems like a solid projection for next year, but not "at best". Next year I see us having a 3 through 5 front court that belongs in the conversation for best in the nation. Our guards are clearly lesser, but they're getting us through this year and should be better next year. It's hard to say we "must" add to that. If we're sitting at a 5 seed next year (very possibly with no, or at most one, seniors starting), I will be a happy fan.

20 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

I'm seeing us projecting as a 9 and definitely trending up. 

We're saying similar things. 5 seems like a solid projection for next year, but not "at best". Next year I see us having a 3 through 5 front court that belongs in the conversation for best in the nation. Our guards are clearly lesser, but they're getting us through this year and should be better next year. It's hard to say we "must" add to that. If we're sitting at a 5 seed next year (very possibly with no, or at most one, seniors starting), I will be a happy fan.

Thanks for your answer.  Not competing for championships is the veiled answer.  I personally don't want to squander a year of having a truly (hopefully) dominating frontcourt because teams can pack the middle.  This is so easy and we have been having these discussions for years.  I don't get it.  To each his own and you are entitled to your opinion.  

As CAM has said, he's looking at transfers, grad transfers, and overseas.  I'm thankful he's not ok with 9 seeds and quite frankly(to this point) an inconsistent to terrible back court that is losing its most lethal option.  

Archived