Penn State post game

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Thanks for your answer.  Not competing for championships is the veiled answer.  I personally don't want to squander a year of having a truly (hopefully) dominating frontcourt because teams can pack the middle.  This is so easy and we have been having these discussions for years.  I don't get it.  To each his own and you are entitled to your opinion.  

As CAM has said, he's looking at transfers, grad transfers, and overseas.  I'm thankful he's not ok with 9 seeds and quite frankly(to this point) an inconsistent to terrible back court that is losing its most lethal option.  

I'm wanting to let the matter die, as we're basically saying the same thing. But, I don't see teams packing the paint against us the way they did last year, nor even the way they did earlier this year. I admittedly haven't been keeping an eye specifically for that, but 3 of our 4 guards shoot well (I'm still hopeful that Franklin is actually a good shooter too: he looks good, clearly has confidence and seems to have the green light, so I think it's reasonable to assume he is a solid shooter with a small sample size) and now we have a wing with size on the court for 20 plus minutes a game that can shoot. It's a lot harder to pack the paint against that than it was last year when we, at most, had two shooters on the court and often only one.

50 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

I'm wanting to let the matter die, as we're basically saying the same thing. But, I don't see teams packing the paint against us the way they did last year, nor even the way they did earlier this year. I admittedly haven't been keeping an eye specifically for that, but 3 of our 4 guards shoot well (I'm still hopeful that Franklin is actually a good shooter too: he looks good, clearly has confidence and seems to have the green light, so I think it's reasonable to assume he is a solid shooter with a small sample size) and now we have a wing with size on the court for 20 plus minutes a game that can shoot. It's a lot harder to pack the paint against that than it was last year when we, at most, had two shooters on the court and often only one.

We can agree to disagree.  Thats fine but the facts are Rob is literally shooting 36% from the field 31 from 3.  Al getting hot lately has him at 43 and 35.8 from three, acceptable.  As a senior, he has to make decisions and continue with his steady slight improvement.  I think he will. 

We can all sit around and hope that Rob materializes along with Armaan.  Just like we all hope and hoped for Devonte to be consistent.   And that would have us labeled as insane.  

I forgot to mention and agree with the emergence of Jerome has made us much harder to guard.   Early in the B1G it was obvious just pack the lane and it worked.  

5 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

We can agree to disagree.  Thats fine but the facts are Rob is literally shooting 36% from the field 31 from 3.  Al getting hot lately has him at 43 and 35.8 from three, acceptable.  As a senior, he has to make decisions and continue with his steady slight improvement.  I think he will. 

We can all sit around and hope that Rob materializes along with Armaan.  Just like we all hope and hoped for Devonte to be consistent.   And that would have us labeled as insane.  

I would love to see Archie add a grad transfer guard that can shoot a high percentage from 3 and also relieve Rob at times in terms of handling the ball. This team going forward really needs a second point guard. 

34 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I forgot to mention and agree with the emergence of Jerome has made us much harder to guard.   Early in the B1G it was obvious just pack the lane and it worked.  

ESPN has Phinisee shooting 35.8% from 3. So, a player you have to guard at the arc. We have enough shooting that teams have to play us honestly. And I believe they are. 

54 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

ESPN has Phinisee shooting 35.8% from 3. So, a player you have to guard at the arc. We have enough shooting that teams have to play us honestly. And I believe they are. 

Yep.  You are right.  I used statreference.com or something.   

Penn st helped but rarely doubled.  Minnesota as well.  

It's no secret our guards need help and lost us the Arkansas and Maryland games at a minimum.  Though the Maryland game had about 5 or 6 people contribute to that toilet flush.   

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

Yep.  You are right.  I used statreference.com or something.   

Penn st helped but rarely doubled.  Minnesota as well.  

It's no secret our guards need help and lost us the Arkansas and Maryland games at a minimum.  Though the Maryland game had about 5 or 6 people contribute to that toilet flush.   

One issue I have noticed for the entire team (besides TJD for the most part) is the inability to finish at the rim. I hope this is evident to the coaches and Marshall. Lots of missed layups whether they were fouled or not. I rewatched the PSU game there were a number of misses right at the basket that should have been easy makes and other's that should have been "and one" instead of two free throws. That's a lot of points left off the board. 

3 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

One issue I have noticed for the entire team (besides TJD for the most part) is the inability to finish at the rim. I hope this is evident to the coaches and Marshall. Lots of missed layups whether they were fouled or not. I rewatched the PSU game there were a number of misses right at the basket that should have been easy makes and other's that should have been "and one" instead of two free throws. That's a lot of points left off the board. 

Definitely. I think the biggest problem is that Smith, and I'm afraid Brunk too, just don't have any touch. 

Archived