Race Thompson

Is getting due recognition in the post game thread but man, he deserves his own thread. 
In the words of Pat Chambers after the game, “I thought his job late on Lamar was fantastic” - it was.

Lamar btw took 27 shots and 8 FT’s to get to 29. 

So Race finished with 8, 4 and a block — but that’s only a little reflective of his contributions. When he was brought back in the energy level changed, he plays really well with TJD, and we got the lead back.

The toughness this kid brings, the energy and fight, is infectious too. Just look at the way Smith was fighting today — itself great to see — Race, who missed the game at PSU, I think is probably right up there in the most important player discussion right now. 

Way to go Race 

When I first saw Race play this year, I thought he'd get very limited minutes to give another big a blow.

But now...he's earned a starting spot and every minute his body will allow. The kid does anything and everything you ask, and more...

(And I think his offense is starting to come around big time)

43 minutes ago, IDontWannaLargeFarva2 said:

Brunk has served his role. He bridged the gap until Race was ready to play big minutes.

Now we need to move forward with Brunk as our 1st big off the bench. The mobility and versatility with Race in the lineup, gives us something we haven’t had yet in the Miller era. Not to mention he gets his hand on seemingly every ball when rebounding and playing defense.

If you look at Archie’s Dayton teams, they were filled with players like Race who did nothing but crash the boards and attack the rim. All of them 6’5- 6’9 hybrids that didn’t have a true position but knew how to draw fouls, play defense and go balls to the wall.

Brunk still has an important part to play...but some teams he doesn’t match up well against. Purdue will be a big game for Brunk, teams like OSU with Wesson. But teams with more athletic bigs Race is the guy the rest of the way. Him and Trayce are active and hard working. We will still face a few teams that employ those traditional bigs and need Brunk but the emergence of Race has me feeling better about this year...next and the next!

11 minutes ago, GaloisGroupe said:

I've been waiting for a thread on Race for awhile...

I can't help but notice that when he is fully healthy we tend to win more

He even has ate into some of Justin’s minutes too and it doesn’t seem that Smith has been anything but a supportive teammate. Actually Trayce, Smith, and Race along with Rob and Al have been our best defenders and one of our best units.

29 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Brunk still has an important part to play...but some teams he doesn’t match up well against. Purdue will be a big game for Brunk, teams like OSU with Wesson. But teams with more athletic bigs Race is the guy the rest of the way. Him and Trayce are active and hard working. We will still face a few teams that employ those traditional bigs and need Brunk but the emergence of Race has me feeling better about this year...next and the next!

Agreed.

Race and Trayce will no doubt have starring roles down the stretch, but Deron and Joey still have their own contributions coming. And, we’ll need every bit of it. 

I love how Trayce, Race, and Justin rebounded today with authority. I love seeing them rip them down aggressively. I also know he didn’t play a ton, but I love hunters demeanor on the court. Every time I see him he either has a “bring it” look or he’s smiling. I like seeing the guys having fun out there. Big difference the last couple games! 

Justin and Race D on Stephens was as good as it’s gonna be without a double team. He’s a hell of a player and made some tough shots, but wasn’t from bad defense. 

Race Thompson reminds me of a typical Izzo/MSU 4 over the years. A tough, hard-nosed defender/rebounder that gets minutes his first few years, but then by his junior/senior years is killing people on both ends. Will even more if by his senior year he adds a reliable spot-up 3 to go with it. 

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

Race Thompson reminds me of a typical Izzo/MSU 4 over the years. A tough, hard-nosed defender/rebounder that gets minutes his first few years, but then by his junior/senior years is killing people on both ends. Will even more if by his senior year he adds a reliable spot-up 3 to go with it. 

True!  If Race can work on his conditioning his future is "starter" bright on a real good team.

Archived