The can't wait for it IU vs PU pre-game thread

milehiiu

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We need to come out with the same energy we have the last two games and get out to a good start.  With Purdue reeling and seems to be lacking confidence it would be great to put them away early.  We let them get out to a good start it will help their confidence and will make it hard to beat them in Mackey

If Purdue is hot from three, they dominate. If not, IU doninates.

They are the definition of live by the three, die by the three the last two years. The difference is they had two of the best three point shooters in the country last year.

This year, it seems as Stefanovic goes, so does Purdue. I think their recent struggles are a result of teams prioritizing guarding the three against them.

3 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

At 14-14 overall, and on a 4 game losing streak. Purdue is a very dangerous team, playing on their home court.  Currently IU is playing for an NCAAT bid.  Purdue is playing for pride.

I would hope our guys are playing for pride and redemption.  Their effort at home against Purdue, on national television,  in front of coach Knight,  was just plain embarrassing.   Let's see how much it means to them to bury the losing streak by playing with the effort they did this week. It won't take more than that to win at Purdue.

1 minute ago, bronkonagurski said:

When is the last time we beat Purdue? I expect us to show up a lot stronger than whatever happened on the RMK Saturday. I'd like to think our own motivations are strong enough to guarantee a strong effort here. Especially with a dose of road game confidence from Goofy Gopher country.

Pretty sure Yogis final year. 

If we find a way to win, look out. I fully expect us to win our last two at home. Say we beat Purdue and lose to Illinois and then beat Wisconsin and Minnesota at home. We would have won 5 out of 6, be comfortably inside above the bubble, and I think we could make some real noise.

Is it too soon to ask for an extended B10 tournament run? Just once, please.

Wishful thinking aside, Purdue has the capability to play far above their usual level at home. If they get cooking early, look out. I think we’ll know pretty quick if we have a shot on Thursday. Generally when Purdue comes out and hits some shots early there is no looking back.

8 minutes ago, madmax said:

If we find a way to win, look out. I fully expect us to win our last two at home. Say we beat Purdue and lose to Illinois and then beat Wisconsin and Minnesota at home. We would have won 5 out of 6, be comfortably inside above the bubble, and I think we could make some real noise.

Is it too soon to ask for an extended B10 tournament run? Just once, please.

Wishful thinking aside, Purdue has the capability to play far above their usual level at home. If they get cooking early, look out. I think we’ll know pretty quick if we have a shot on Thursday. Generally when Purdue comes out and hits some shots early there is no looking back.

if we could win at Smackey and win the last 2 home games (3-1 in our final 4) and win a couple in the BTT, i would think we'd get a fairly solid seed.  of course when you have beaten current #8, #9, #20, #25, and Mich St., clearly we have the ability to beat most teams in the nation.  that's all i want from IU bball right now... a chance!  get into the tourney and let me have hope!

3 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

if we could win at Smackey and win the last 2 home games (3-1 in our final 4) and win a couple in the BTT, i would think we'd get a fairly solid seed.  of course when you have beaten current #8, #9, #20, #25, and Mich St., clearly we have the ability to beat most teams in the nation.  that's all i want from IU bball right now... a chance!  get into the tourney and let me have hope!

Great post. And I share your sentiments.

Our GBI brethren making excuses about why IU won today vs. Penn State manhandling them at home recently:

https://purdue.forums.rivals.com/threads/penn-st-vs-iu.188138/

They cover such gems as:

1. Why Ivey and Morton are su much better than Leal and how Leal was IU's plan B
  2. IU-Purdue is just another game and MSU is really their rival
  3. Purdue fans hope "Lil Arch" is at IU for a long time
  4. Mr. Basketball doesn't mean much anymore because a lot of the best players go to prep schools instead
  5. It's not important to beat IU anymore as they are a has-been and never will be again.  Beating IU is like beating Ball State
  6. IU plays average defense.  Penn State just had an off-shooting day, whereas they were lights out against Mighty Turdue
  7. Race Thompson is not a difference maker and Devonte takes bad/selfish shots

I guess that's their pregame thread at least so far...it's made for entertaining reading!

11 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Our GBI brethren making excuses about why IU won today vs. Penn State manhandling them at home recently:

They cover such gems as:

1. Why Ivey and Morton are su much better than Leal and how Leal was IU's plan B
  4. Mr. Basketball doesn't mean much anymore because a lot of the best players go to prep schools instead
  5. It's not important to beat IU anymore as they are a has-been and never will be again.  Beating IU is like beating Ball State
  6. IU plays average defense.  Penn State just had an off-shooting day, whereas they were lights out against Mighty Turdue

I guess that's their pregame thread at least so far...it's made for entertaining reading!

I do think Ivey is going to be a great player. One i would have liked to seen in cream and crimson

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

Just more pathetic attempts to convince themselves that they matter. 

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

They cover such gems as:

Free board always has some bad takes no doubt. 

A few thoughts:

1. I do like Leal and think he’ll be a good one but am glad we landed Ivey and Morton as I think they’re better players. 

2. Absolutely false that it’s “just another game.” IU/Purdue will always be special. 

3. Somewhat agree re Mr. Basketball. Ivey is the best player in the state but not sure if he would’ve won Mr. Basketball if he had stayed at Marian. 

4. Always important to beat your rival and it’s nothing like beating Ball State. 

Archived