The can't wait for it IU vs PU pre-game thread

milehiiu

Just now, IU Scott said:

I just can't do that because if I know IU is playing I have to know how they are doing and I have to follow it some how.

Just now, IUrocker said:

I’m able to record the games if I miss them and usually do, but I just HAVE TO KNOW what’s going on in real time to see how they are doing. I’m never able to contain myself and avoid checking the score. 

Hmmm, to each their own. It's not that I don't want to know the score in real time, it's that I want to SEE the game, not just see a score on my phone. To me, watching the game is the fun part, and I'm not wasting my time watching a game that I already know the score of. 

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Hmmm, to each their own. It's not that I don't want to know the score in real time, it's that I want to SEE the game, not just see a score on my phone. To me, watching the game is the fun part, and I'm not wasting my time watching a game that I already know the score of. 

I agree that watching the game is the fun part, and although I understand the rest of your side of it, I’m usually fine with still watching the game even though I know the outcome, because I’m still interested in seeing HOW we won. Plus it won’t take me long to watch anyways since I can fast forward through commercials, halftime, etc. 

4 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Robinson would manhandle Zeller haha. Interesting mix of IU guys that’s for sure. 

On the other hand know one on Purdue would be able to stop IT but VO and Cody shouldn't be on that team.  If you put IT, Calbert and Mcginnis those 3 Purdue players wouldn't have a chance.  Also I don't think Hummel or Moore would actually be on the Purdue team either.

22 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Same here, via YTTV, and I have a deal with a buddy on the West Coast that we don't discuss the game until we're sure we've both watched it to avoid spoilers. 'Course, there have been a few games where we have told the other person not to bother, like when I just fast forwarded through the second half of the Michigan game. Hoping those days are behind us.

I definitely have games that I can’t watch because of family plans or whatever, and tell myself to not check my phone at all cost....the game will be going on and I haven’t checked my phone at all, and feel like I’m doing really well! ..and then by the time the first media timeout hits, I give in....

I’m nervous but excited at the same time. I definitely think we can beat them in Mackey if we ply the way we have the last couple games, but at the same time, all it takes for Purdue is a barrage of 3’s like they did against Iowa....but on the flip side of that, I’d like to think our defense will be much better than Iowa. 

47 minutes ago, BGleas said:

This is one thing that has always confused me on these boards. I always see people posting about missing games for whatever reason and saying they'll just have to check their phone for score updates throughout whatever function is causing them to miss the game. 

Isn't this why DVR's and streaming TV were created? I almost never watch IU games live. I record almost all of them and then watch them later that day. It's not that hard to avoid Twitter, FB, etc. for a couple hours. I've even recorded noon Saturday games, avoided the score all day, and then watched them at like 9pm after the kids have gone to bed. 

Self control.  I don't have it.  Can't resist checking scores.

46 minutes ago, BGleas said:

This is one thing that has always confused me on these boards. I always see people posting about missing games for whatever reason and saying they'll just have to check their phone for score updates throughout whatever function is causing them to miss the game. 

Isn't this why DVR's and streaming TV were created? I almost never watch IU games live. I record almost all of them and then watch them later that day. It's not that hard to avoid Twitter, FB, etc. for a couple hours. I've even recorded noon Saturday games, avoided the score all day, and then watched them at like 9pm after the kids have gone to bed. 

this is me most of the time.  i have to prioritize both of my sons' bball so i wind up recording, avoiding the score, and watching later.  as a matter of fact, my sophomore has a state playoff game tonight at 7pm.  i'm recording the Hoosiers and probably watching around 945pm.  

9 minutes ago, CincyHoosier said:

Isiah, May, Cheaney.  Alford off the bench for instant offense.

Mount, Carroll, Robinson.  Hummel off the bench.

IU would dominate. 

Alford would get schooled on defense, and who's setting all the screens for him. I guess they could do a lot of pick and rolls? 

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I hope that doesn't mean that Fox thinks those 3 are the best of all time at those schools. I am sorry but VO or Cody would not be in my top 3 on the IU team. IT, Calbert, and if I had to have a big then I would go with McGinnis

No doubt.  I'd also think Rick Mount would rank above Hummel.

The biggest question to me is whether IU has the intestinal fortitude to go into a tough--maybe the better word is hateful--environment and play with mental toughness and competitiveness.  This is something that's been a problem to see on a consistent basis.  

Some of our guards need to be a lot mentally tougher on defense and handling the ball.  They run their guards through a maze of picks.  Last time, guys like Durham and others were less than inspired with their effort.  And that was at home.

We need a 180 in these areas.  Right now there isn't much evidence that these guys have that inner toughness to do it.  It's like the Gene Hackman scene measuring the rim etc.  It's the same game here as anywhere but these guys have folded in the past in tough environments.  Let's hope for a turnaround.  

17 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

I'd also think Rick Mount would rank above Hummel.

As much as I like/liked the former "Region Rat" ( Hummel), I would have to agree with you on Rick Mount... who was the first high school athlete to be featured on the cover of Sports Illustrated.  That's... how good Mount was.

Archived