How Far Can This Team Go?!

landrus13

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The short answer is, there is no team in America that should scare IU.  That's just how much parity there is in college basketball this year.  Kentucky gets beat at home by Evansville.  Duke gets beat at home by Stephen F. Austin.

Show me a dominant men's college basketball team this season.  I don't see any.

Really happy with the recent turnaround in the team’s play, but I still just don’t see this team being able to string more than one or maybe two wins max in the tournament.  It’s just going to be tough for them to shoot well enough on a neutral court, and it’s hard to count on getting to the foul line a ton over the course of multiple games.  If this team made the Sweet 16 I would be really pleasantly surprised.

Just now, Hoosierhoopster said:

Who knows? 

However, our guys appear to be 

1) Finally healthy and in game condition - a complete team 

2) Rounding into form and playing more consistently, and 

3) Playing with energy and confidence. 

We’re trending up, we look like a team that is getting better headed towards the tourney 

Looking better and that is a sign of good coaching.  Hope to see taking care of the ball better (silly errors). And wondering what happened to Anderson?  Really appreciate the minutes Davis is putting in.  

Just now, bluegrassIU said:

This team is anywhere from still missing the tournament to a sweet sixteen run. So hard to predict. 

Doubt we can miss the tourney would require losing 5 straight. Doubt we have that in us. 

How far we go has everything to do with our seeding. Some have us as an 8 or 9 seed. If so would want SDSU to get the #1 seed still but I bet that ship has sailed. 

40 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Really happy with the recent turnaround in the team’s play, but I still just don’t see this team being able to string more than one or maybe two wins max in the tournament.  It’s just going to be tough for them to shoot well enough on a neutral court, and it’s hard to count on getting to the foul line a ton over the course of multiple games.  If this team made the Sweet 16 I would be really pleasantly surprised.

I’m with this 100%. It’s fun to prognosticate and dream, but barring us getting hot from 3 for several games in a row, I just don’t think this team is consistent enough to make a deep run.

But who the hell knows, finish the season well, make a run in the B10 tournament... crazier things have happened. 

7 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

How far we go has everything to do with our seeding. Some have us as an 8 or 9 seed. If so would want SDSU to get the #1 seed still but I bet that ship has sailed. 

I agree with your seeding thought.  And I would add that it also takes a little luck to advance meaning early "upsets" of future opponents.  

7 hours ago, zerawkid said:

Slight sidebar: are regional assignments arbitrary? 

Really hoping I can see our boys in Tampa for a couple games.

I've never understood the placing of teams regionally. No doubt NCAA wants all the dollars they can get, but makes no sense to me to send IU, UK, NC, KU way out to the hinterlands when all of their fan bases travel well, within reason. Seems to me they would keep these types of schools closer to home for a longer period of time during the tournament. (I know, the argument is for "balance". But that doesn't hold water anymore with the parity of college hoops)

But then again, these are the same numb-skulls that want to let a player transfer at halftime to the other team.

Honestly, I don't think the consistency is there to win a second game in a tournament (BTT or NCAA).  If we play well, we can win a game away from home.  But, to sting 2 or more together against top competition?  I don't see it.

Baby steps.  Just making the tournament this year will be a positive.

i am not known for my optimism, but... seriously no dominant teams this year.  top 25 teams with 8 losses.  almost everyone with at least 1 bad loss.  this team is talented enough to beat FL St., Penn St., Mich St., and Iowa.  never know.  still also think we have the ability to lose both road games left and fall in 1st round of BTT and be in danger of not making it as well!

You know what would be a great story?

A team steeped in history and tradition that had suffered a downturn in recent history, had a fairly new and young coach, had suffered through team dysfunction, lack of upper class leadership, and injuries, finally righting the ship and making a run in both the B10 and NCAA tournaments and starting down the road of reclaiming their rightful position in the college basketball world as a powerhouse.

THAT would be a great story...

A guy can dream...

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

You know what would be a great story?

A team steeped in history and tradition that had suffered a downturn in recent history, had a fairly new and young coach, had suffered through team dysfunction, lack of upper class leadership, and injuries, finally righting the ship and making a run in both the B10 and NCAA tournaments and starting down the road of reclaiming their rightful position in the college basketball world as a powerhouse.

THAT would be a great story...

A guy can dream...

... led by Devonte Green, aka "Nuke."

10 hours ago, landrus13 said:

I saw this somewhere else. But what do you guys think about how far this IU team could go in the NCAA tournament??

I'm gonna say elite 8 is the ceiling. Never know what IU team is gonna show up. If we get the IU team that showed up against Iowa, we can beat anyone.

first you would really have to see where we are seeded and who we would be playing.  Saying that I think the ceiling is probably sweet 16 and more than likely  2nd round.

2 hours ago, DWB said:

I've never understood the placing of teams regionally. No doubt NCAA wants all the dollars they can get, but makes no sense to me to send IU, UK, NC, KU way out to the hinterlands when all of their fan bases travel well, within reason. Seems to me they would keep these types of schools closer to home for a longer period of time during the tournament. (I know, the argument is for "balance". But that doesn't hold water anymore with the parity of college hoops)

But then again, these are the same numb-skulls that want to let a player transfer at halftime to the other team.

It is about getting each region as even as possible.  They do try to keep those teams close to home for the  first two rounds especially the top 4 seeds.  It is better than it use to before they started the pod system where if you were in the west region every game you played was out west.

I don't think a road win at a bad MN team or a home win against PSU is enough to make me think we're back yet. I love the way the team is playing the past two games minus the scoring drought(s). This board sways too much game to game. Seems like a week ago threads about Archie's replacement options were getting the most hits because we were going to miss the tournament again. Now, it's how far can we go?

Let's win at least 2 of the next 4 reg. season games before we get too far ahead of ourselves.

1 minute ago, cybergates said:

I don't think a road win at a bad MN team or a home win against PSU is enough to make me think we're back yet. I love the way the team is playing the past two games minus the scoring drought(s). This board sways too much game to game. Seems like a week ago threads about Archie's replacement options were getting the most hits because we were going to miss the tournament again. Now, it's how far can we go?

Let's win at least 2 of the next 4 reg. season games before we get too far ahead of ourselves.

Hey, your either all in or all out. Nobody makes headlines stuck in the middle. 😬

Yeah, Im with you though. One game at a time.

18 minutes ago, cybergates said:

I think losing 4 in a row was more than enough reason to be very concerned, and winning 3 of the last 4 is also more than enough reason to be very encouraged.  I don’t think the reactions have been unreasonable either way.

Archived