How Far Can This Team Go?!

landrus13

IMO, in the past couple of weeks this team has changed...significantly.

My take is that several things have impacted the team that weren't there before:

1. Race Thompson getting healthy and playing significant minutes
  2. Green playing within himself
  3. Getting healthy as a team (Jerome, Race, Rob all getting better, maybe not 100% but better)
  4. Smith putting forth more effort for more minutes
  5. More movement without the ball

There are more, (like DD doing better) but these make up my short list, and most impactful.

The $64,000 question is...Can they keep it up? Thursday should tell us a lot more.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, cybergates said:

I don't think a road win at a bad MN team or a home win against PSU is enough to make me think we're back yet. I love the way the team is playing the past two games minus the scoring drought(s). This board sways too much game to game. Seems like a week ago threads about Archie's replacement options were getting the most hits because we were going to miss the tournament again. Now, it's how far can we go?

Let's win at least 2 of the next 4 reg. season games before we get too far ahead of ourselves.

I tend to agree. Don't get too high, don't get too low. There are things that have me really encouraged and are giving me a different feel about this team (adjustment to how we defend ball screens, increased energy, effort and passion, shortened rotation, clear intention to go through TJD, Race's emergence, Hunter's improved play, etc., etc.), but with those things said and listed, we go right back to where we were a week ago if this team somehow loses 3 of the last 4 and bows out in one game in the BTT.

11 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Hopefully a Sweet 16 with us being a 7 seed in Kentucky's bracket as a 2 seed.

Funny you should mention UK as a possible opponent.  I have seen 'Cat fans say they want nothing to do with us.  They struggle from deep and they usually get beat by teams that have a dominant big man.  I would love to see us play them.

Agree with comments above about reacting with wild swings -- in part. 

However, my take -- right or wrong -- is that it's not just that we won at Minn and beat a very good road-winning team in deservedly top 10 ranked PSU, it's HOW, and with whom. 

Is this the same team, that got 'fired up' and grabbed a couple W's, or is it now different? I think it's pretty clear it's a different team.

- We are now playing guys who weren't healthy, particularly Race and Hunter, more, and they are CLEARLY making a real impact on both sides of the ball.

- Just as clearly, we now push the offense through TJD, who is just now being more aggressive to take the most shots -- and CAM repeatedly said after TJD took 17 shots, how good that is -- encouraging it. That is EXACTLY what has to happen, and, well, it IS happening.

- And it's not just adding Race, its Race + TJD + Smith. That 3-big lineup is significantly different, Race plays very well with TJD and is able to get out and defend well on the perimeter. That is a difference, it's not just we have a guynow healthy, itself important, it's how he fits and how it impacts the game. It is  impacting our game on a pretty significant level.

- And in these wins, Green and Smith in particular have played well within the system / roles. Smith is attacking the glass -- really important -- with energy, I think feeding off Race's energy in large part -- and Green is playing well off ball and on both sides of the ball, while Rob, now finally looking at least close to 100%, is providing much more steady on ball play and, at times, driving aggressively -- the more he drives aggressively, healthy, the better we are. This is more subject to game-to-game ups and downs, imo.

But anway it's not just hey we won a couple, its HOW and with whom. We're not the same team that got fired up and got a W, we're playing different guys different minutes and with a different look in inside-out play and rotations, and the energy comes with that. 

So yeah of course we need to see how we finish without another slide. But I don't buy into the thinking that if we lose another road game badly that somehow signals we're back to where we were.

Barring more injuries, we're not. We're pretty clearly a better team right now.

53 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I tend to agree. Don't get too high, don't get too low. There are things that have me really encouraged and are giving me a different feel about this team (adjustment to how we defend ball screens, increased energy, effort and passion, shortened rotation, clear intention to go through TJD, Race's emergence, Hunter's improved play, etc., etc.), but with those things said and listed, we go right back to where we were a week ago if this team somehow loses 3 of the last 4 and bows out in one game in the BTT.

I know...but I'm a naturally optimistic person anyway...Hell, being a Cub fan you have to be optimistic or you'll go crazy...

I just hate it when after a loss the vultures appear over CAMs perceived coaching carcass...and it seems to sway some people in the direction of calling for his head...that bothers me...

I know some people are skeptics as a defensive mechanism for disappointment, and I can understand that...I guess...and other just like to "stir the pot" which I don't understand at all...but I've come to realize we have a young coach, who's still growing...the guy has an intensity that I love...kind of a less profane less boorish (and I love Coach Knight as much as anyone, but to say he couldn't be boorish would be a bald-face lie) RMK in the intensity department...

He's more of a "grinder" than RMK ever was, and not there with the Xs and Os (yet) but I like what I see. 

And if I'm wrong, I don't mind wearing it...

I don't see us moving out of the 7-10 seed range barring a great run in the tournament or a collapse in the last few games. 

That said we're pretty much destined to play a 1 or 2 seed in the second round. The realist in me says our ceiling is a 2nd round exit. 

However, that could change if they play well the next few games. I need to see this team string together more than 2 good performances before I'm swayed.  

EDIT/add on: I'm seeing people getting their hopes up due to the lack of dominant teams this year. I just want to add a cautious reminder that IU has not beat one team away from home that's solidly in the tournament. Not even on a neutral court. Even with a win at Purdue (as great of a win that will be), this will likely hold true. Beat IL on the road, maybe then we can start talking about sweet 16. 

55 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Agree with comments above about reacting with wild swings -- in part. 

However, my take -- right or wrong -- is that it's not just that we won at Minn and beat a very good road-winning team in deservedly top 10 ranked PSU, it's HOW, and with whom. 

Is this the same team, that got 'fired up' and grabbed a couple W's, or is it now different? I think it's pretty clear it's a different team.

- We are now playing guys who weren't healthy, particularly Race and Hunter, more, and they are CLEARLY making a real impact on both sides of the ball.

- Just as clearly, we now push the offense through TJD, who is just now being more aggressive to take the most shots -- and CAM repeatedly said after TJD took 17 shots, how good that is -- encouraging it. That is EXACTLY what has to happen, and, well, it IS happening.

- And it's not just adding Race, its Race + TJD + Smith. That 3-big lineup is significantly different, Race plays very well with TJD and is able to get out and defend well on the perimeter. That is a difference, it's not just we have a guynow healthy, itself important, it's how he fits and how it impacts the game. It is  impacting our game on a pretty significant level.

- And in these wins, Green and Smith in particular have played well within the system / roles. Smith is attacking the glass -- really important -- with energy, I think feeding off Race's energy in large part -- and Green is playing well off ball and on both sides of the ball, while Rob, now finally looking at least close to 100%, is providing much more steady on ball play and, at times, driving aggressively -- the more he drives aggressively, healthy, the better we are. This is more subject to game-to-game ups and downs, imo.

But anway it's not just hey we won a couple, its HOW and with whom. We're not the same team that got fired up and got a W, we're playing different guys different minutes and with a different look in inside-out play and rotations, and the energy comes with that. 

So yeah of course we need to see how we finish without another slide. But I don't buy into the thinking that if we lose another road game badly that somehow signals we're back to where we were.

Barring more injuries, we're not. We're pretty clearly a better team right now.

I agree. Outside of the Michigan game, 3 of these last 4 have felt different. I do wonder where this team would be W/L wise if Race hadn't gone down against MSU, because his good play has not really come out of nowhere, this has been brewing. It probably only potentially changes the Maryland game, but that's a big change. 

But anyways, back to the point, I completely agree with your list of things that are different, and would add changing how we defend ball screens and shortening the rotation. I really like Damezi and Franklin, but Hunter needed all of Damezi's minutes, them splitting minutes was hurting both, and while Franklin does some really good things, IU just needs a core group of 8 guys right now, it's just better. 

I also think the Green thing is really important. Starting with the Iowa game he has basically just been playing the 2/off the ball. That's really important for him. He still has lapses, but for the most part he's not pounding the ball, he's moving it quickly when he doesn't have a shot, and most (not all) of his shots are coming off the catch/shoot where he's much better. 

I agree, this has been different. But I also don't think you can blame fans for not completely trusting this group (players and staff). They've been wildly inconsistent, for a variety of reasons) over the last 2-3 seasons, especially the veterans, so it's kind of on them to earn the faith of fans. 

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I agree. Outside of the Michigan game, 3 of these last 4 have felt different. I do wonder where this team would be W/L wise if Race hadn't gone down against MSU, because his good play has not really come out of nowhere, this has been brewing. It probably only potentially changes the Maryland game, but that's a big change. 

But anyways, back to the point, I completely agree with your list of things that are different, and would add changing how we defend ball screens and shortening the rotation. I really like Damezi and Franklin, but Hunter needed all of Damezi's minutes, them splitting minutes was hurting both, and while Franklin does some really good things, IU just needs a core group of 8 guys right now, it's just better. 

I also think the Green thing is really important. Starting with the Iowa game he has basically just been playing the 2/off the ball. That's really important for him. He still has lapses, but for the most part he's not pounding the ball, he's moving it quickly when he doesn't have a shot, and most (not all) of his shots are coming off the catch/shoot where he's much better. 

I agree, this has been different. But I also don't think you can blame fans for not completely trusting this group (players and staff). They've been wildly inconsistent, for a variety of reasons) over the last 2-3 seasons, especially the veterans, so it's kind of on them to earn the faith of fans. 

Well said

Who knows with this team.  Next week they could be back on the floor with pressure to win out vs Minny and Wiscy.  Reality is IU should just be worried about Purdue.  That team is playing badly and IU needs to get them like they did Minny or like Purdue did to IU when IU was looking like it was heading for a season meltdown.     

I think it is encouraging that Hunter and Race are getting more and more minutes and developing.  The rotation has settled on the top 7 in minutes over the last couple of games being:

TJD 

Smith

Race

Hunter

Al

phin

Green

Brunk, Davis, and Franklin play as needed. This team will probably remain inconsistent because it is prone to going cold for long stretches but hopefully not as much as early in the season.  Brunk has proven servicable and will be valuable next year but I think Deron is playing better right now.  I think if I were Archie I'd start DeRon and give him all the big man minutes until he gets in foul trouble or proves  he is not up for the task in a given game.  DeRon might want to close out his college career on a high note.   Archie is pulling the trigger much quicker to go small and more agile but I still like a big starting because if you can get productive minutes from the beginning out one of the bigs it helps keep some of the others from foul trouble which leads to less aggressive play.  

I think if this team caught some breaks it can make the 2nd weekend as it's ceiling though I think it slightly less than 50/50 it wins an NCAA game but that depends on draw and matchups.  IMO, it is easy to get excited about next year and if the team can finish strong, anything it accomplishes in the NCAA is icing on the cake.  

2 hours ago, rico said:

Funny you should mention UK as a possible opponent.  I have seen 'Cat fans say they want nothing to do with us.  They struggle from deep and they usually get beat by teams that have a dominant big man.  I would love to see us play them.

Speaking of big men, how about that pass to DD who then passed to TJD for the dunk. A thing of beauty. More please. 

1 minute ago, RJPaisley said:

Speaking of big men, how about that pass to DD who then passed to TJD for the dunk. A thing of beauty. More please. 

Seeing what I do on other sports forums, the 'Cats struggle against bigs.  And yes we need to see more of DD and TJD playing at the same time.  Mile has always said that De'Ron is a fine passer.

El Capitan Moron Lunardi now has us in his last 4 byes, a 10-seed. http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

The fun part of that latest "bracket projection," leaving aside he's one of the worst there is, is his matchup of IU v Buter in the first round, with the winner likely taking on #2 Dayton. Now that would be fun.

Just now, Hoosierhoopster said:

El Capitan Moron Lunardi now has us in his last 4 byes, a 10-seed. http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

The fun part of that latest "bracket projection," leaving aside he's one of the worst there is, is his matchup of IU v Buter in the first round, with the winner likely taking on #2 Dayton. Now that would be fun.

I still think Lunardi just looks for interesting matchups over what the committee will do.

Archived