How Far Can This Team Go?!

landrus13

We've shown we can play with top teams on the right nights, the games in the tournament aren't going to be true road games, and there are plenty of teams out there that struggle away from home. I'm certainly not expecting it, especially with how suspect our guard play is, but this tournament is wide open, so it's just a matter of getting hot at the right time. I could see anything from not making the tournament at all to a FF run. Seriously.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

We've shown we can play with top teams on the right nights, the games in the tournament aren't going to be true road games, and there are plenty of teams out there that struggle away from home. I'm certainly not expecting it, especially with how suspect our guard play is, but this tournament is wide open, so it's just a matter of getting hot at the right time. I could see anything from not making the tournament at all to a FF run. Seriously.

I also think if we make the tournament it will feel like a breath of fresh air.  We have to play through this gauntlet of a conference and maybe playing someone else with be a little easier than our conference games.

20 minutes ago, DWB said:

Maybe Archie should suit up...

Funny, they posed a question on that Big East show that was playing on FS1 before tip off on Sunday. They were talking about which Big East coach would be the best at one on one. Of course everybody said Ewing. 

But that made me think which coach would be the best at one on one in the B1G. Pretty much all the coaches in our league are short and didn't have exceptional playing careers (at least not on par with Ewing). I'd definitely put my money on Archie. 

9 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Funny, they posed a question on that Big East show that was playing on FS1 before tip off on Sunday. They were talking about which Big East coach would be the best at one on one. Of course everybody said Ewing. 

But that made me think which coach would be the best at one on one in the B1G. Pretty much all the coaches in our league are short and didn't have exceptional playing careers (at least not on par with Ewing). I'd definitely put my money on Archie. 

I would have to go with Juwan Howard over Archie in a one on one matchup.  

1 hour ago, Kodos said:

It's interesting to see how quickly the forum moves from "Is Archie on the hot seat?" to "How far can this team go?". I'm happy that we're currently talking about how far we can go. Was great to beat a top ten team. Go Hoosiers!

i think it's pretty funny.  it's just the way it goes.  i'm even a little guilty.  i am usually the one warning everyone not to get your hopes up!

I think I'm pretty level on the positive side, but I have no problem admitting to being almost apoplectic over the Turdue loss in Bloomington.  I can rationalize about any other game this season over that one.  No excuse for that loss.  You are playing at home, on a day when the general comes back after a 20-year hiatus and gives the team a pre-game pep talk, against your hated rival , who's having a crappy barely NIT-worthy season and you lay an egg like that?!!!

Yes, I'm still pissed about that one.  Otherwise, I'm well pleased with the progress I'm seeing but that game is inexcusable.

let see how we finish the season.  I don't get overly excited about home wins.  How we perform on Neutral and Away are more telling.  Finish out strong on the remaining away games, win out at home and pick up a freaking BTT win and i might say this team could go to the S16. 

More likely we go 2-2 down the stretch.  Lose first round of BTT (we just never do well) and then lose the first round of the NCAA.

Would prefer to go 3-1 or 4-0 but i am not holding my breath with this team.  Most ready for the season to be over, get rid of some guys and see how next year pans out.

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

let see how we finish the season.  I don't get overly excited about home wins.  How we perform on Neutral and Away are more telling.  Finish out strong on the remaining away games, win out at home and pick up a freaking BTT win and i might say this team could go to the S16. 

More likely we go 2-2 down the stretch.  Lose first round of BTT (we just never do well) and then lose the first round of the NCAA.

Would prefer to go 3-1 or 4-0 but i am not holding my breath with this team.  Most ready for the season to be over, get rid of some guys and see how next year pans out.

Even your likely scenario would be an improvement over last year, which was an improvement over the first year.  I'd only be mildly disappointed in that.  Beating those sewer dwellers in West Laffy would be some serious icing on my cake though.  Everything else is just gravy.  If IU finishes the season 4-0, I'll eat gravy on my cake.

7 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

An aside -- maybe we're now, again, seeing what looks like the old mantra

year 1 lose big

year 2 lose close

year 3 win close -- maybe this is where we are now.

year 4 win big. I'd like that lol 

That has sounded good over the years but I think we need to tweak it.  

year 1 lose big

year 2 lose close

year 3 win close at home, lose on the road

year 4, win big at home, win close on the road

year 5 win big

8 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

An aside -- maybe we're now, again, seeing what looks like the old mantra

year 1 lose big

year 2 lose close

year 3 win close -- maybe this is where we are now.

year 4 win big. I'd like that lol 

Against Purdue, it's been...

Year 1: Lose close.

Year 2: Lose big, lose close.

Year 3: Lose big.

Progress!

Archived