It's A Massive Sense Of Pride To IU Fans

milehiiu

I’ve had the privilege to become barely acquainted with a couple of those guys periodically over the years.

Then of course, some with RMK living across the street. Though I was only a growing child, he was a really big figure to me back then, and I remember everything quite vividly as I payed complete attention to his every move. I still laugh at the memory of grandpa leaving him stranded in his car, on the snow covered hill within a very short sight distance of his house.(maybe 800ft). This was the stop sign where Heritage Rd met 446.

The first time I met Benson, at a Gus Macker tournament on campus, I had no idea who he was. I remember being kind of weirded out as to why this gigantic old guy was even talking to me and asking me questions about my basketball background and future plans. My family who had seen and heard the some of the convo from afar, filled me in later that day. I remember that vividly as well.

43 minutes ago, Inequality said:

I’ve had the privilege to become barely acquainted with a couple of those guys periodically over the years.

Then of course, some with RMK living across the street. Though I was only a growing child, he was a really big figure to me back then, and I remember everything quite vividly as I payed complete attention to his every move. I still laugh at the memory of grandpa leaving him stranded in his car, on the snow covered hill within a very short sight distance of his house.(maybe 800ft). This was the stop sign where Heritage Rd met 446.

The first time I met Benson, at a Gus Macker tournament on campus, I had no idea who he was. I remember being kind of weirded out as to why this gigantic old guy was even talking to me and asking me questions about my basketball background and future plans. My family who had seen and heard the some of the convo from afar, filled me in later that day. I remember that vividly as well.

Great stories.  Thanks for sharing.

4 minutes ago, rico said:

Glad I am old enough to recall it fondly.  And fwiw, from '73 through '76 were the 4 most dominant years of IU basketball.  I miss those days.

I was fortunate to go to several games during that stretch. One game we sat 2 rows behind the visiting bench because a family member had great seats. But the most memorable game for me was when we sat way the hell up in the balcony. That was a wildly fun time. Fairly sure I couldn't walk up those steps today.

Yep, those were special times. Time to return to that level of winning.

1 hour ago, RJPaisley said:

I was fortunate to go to several games during that stretch. One game we sat 2 rows behind the visiting bench because a family member had great seats. But the most memorable game for me was when we sat way the hell up in the balcony. That was a wildly fun time. Fairly sure I couldn't walk up those steps today.

Yep, those were special times. Time to return to that level of winning.

Interesting tidbit about those years....

1973---5 future NBA players on the roster

1974---7 future NBA players on the roster

1975---8 future NBA players on the roster

1976---6 future NBA players on the roster

Boy oh boy...The General had it going...I miss those days

5 hours ago, rico said:

Interesting tidbit about those years....

1973---5 future NBA players on the roster

1974---7 future NBA players on the roster

1975---8 future NBA players on the roster

1976---6 future NBA players on the roster

Boy oh boy...The General had it going...I miss those days

Me too!  Those were the 4 years I was there undergrad.  Spoiled to say the least and just blessed to have experienced IU B-ball at its best.  Feel sorry for students who have never sniffed a modicum of that success during their time on campus.  Sure hoping to see the program return to elite status in my lifetime.  I'm hanging in there with Archie and like what I see developing with the underclassmen especially.  Go Hoosiers!!!!

On 2/25/2020 at 9:46 AM, rico said:

Glad I am old enough to recall it fondly.  And fwiw, from '73 through '76 were the 4 most dominant years of IU basketball.  I miss those days.

Knight crashes the Final Four in '73. Disappointment in '75, vindication in '76. What a ride those years were. Good years to be a Hoosier fan.

Quinn's four-year record as point guard on the basketball team was 108-12. He also played free safety on the football team for his freshman and sophomore years. The two years he played only basketball he was 63-1 with an undefeated national championship season.

The Mighty Quinn.

8 hours ago, Mac said:

Knight crashes the Final Four in '73. Disappointment in '75, vindication in '76. What a ride those years were. Good years to be a Hoosier fan.

That '74 season gets lost.  Grasp this young IU fans...we finished #9 in the polls and didn't make the NCAAT.  LOL

The playoff loss to Michigan for the B10 title is right behind the 1975 loss in the Mideast regional finals to Kentucky as the biggest gut-punch in my years as a fan...the 1992 screwing we took in the National Semis to Duke is up there too...

If I remember right, that 1974 playoff was in Champaign? Or am I dreaming?

9 minutes ago, IUFan4Life said:

What?!?! I don't think I've ever heard that. I was only 5 so, I certainly don't remember. Why didn't we make it?

We tied Michigan for the regular season title and had a playoff game in Champaign, Illinois to see who would go to the NCAA tourney (only one per conference allowed back then)...lost that game and got invited to the short lived CCA tournament which we won...

Archived