It's A Massive Sense Of Pride To IU Fans

milehiiu

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

We tied Michigan for the regular season title and had a playoff game in Champaign, Illinois to see who would go to the NCAA tourney (only one per conference allowed back then)...lost that game and got invited to the short lived CCA tournament which we won...

And in '75 the rule was changed..."The Maryland Rule" started...as I recall, IU had a couple close calls in that tournament.

On 2/25/2020 at 5:11 PM, eddy4iu said:

Me too!  Those were the 4 years I was there undergrad.  Spoiled to say the least and just blessed to have experienced IU B-ball at its best.  Feel sorry for students who have never sniffed a modicum of that success during their time on campus.  Sure hoping to see the program return to elite status in my lifetime.  I'm hanging in there with Archie and like what I see developing with the underclassmen especially.  Go Hoosiers!!!!

Maybe you could go back for a masters or better yet a doctorate?😉

3 minutes ago, rico said:

And in '75 the rule was changed..."The Maryland Rule" started...as I recall, IU had a couple close calls in that tournament.

Maryland I think finished #2 in the country but lost in the ACC Tournament final to NC St. and was not able to be in the NCAA Tournament.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Maryland I think finished #2 in the country but lost in the ACC Tournament final to NC St. and was not able to be in the NCAA Tournament.

If NC State had lost to Maryland in the ACC tournament, THAT would have been the injustice. 

NC State beat Maryland twice in the regular season (Maryland also lost to UNC in the ACC regular season).

At the time, the ACC tournament decided who would go, regular season be damned. NC State had only lost 1 regular season game (to UCLA...a loss they would avenge in the National Semis)  and win the NC aided by a couple of Hoosiers...

34 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

If NC State had lost to Maryland in the ACC tournament, THAT would have been the injustice. 

NC State beat Maryland twice in the regular season (Maryland also lost to UNC in the ACC regular season).

At the time, the ACC tournament decided who would go, regular season be damned. NC State had only lost 1 regular season game (to UCLA...a loss they would avenge in the National Semis)  and win the NC aided by a couple of Hoosiers...

Actually NC State was aided by 3 Hoosiers...the HC, Norm Sloan, was an Indiana boy.

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Call them "Indiana Eastern-Shore."

Heck, I got a NC State tie...sort of.  My frosh year in HS the HC of the football team was Jeff Stoddard.  He was also my geometry teacher.  Tim's brother.  On the practice field you could be sure of two things about Coach Stoddard. 1)  Wore a NC State t-shirt. 2)  Wore a Baltimore Orioles cap.  

2 hours ago, Andy06 said:

As a Reds and IU fan born in 1984, I wish I could have been around to watch the Big Red Machine and the IU teams in the 70s.  Probably the greatest era for both teams and I missed it!

There are a few of us here that can fill in the blanks on both teams for you.

3 hours ago, rico said:

Heck, I got a NC State tie...sort of.  My frosh year in HS the HC of the football team was Jeff Stoddard.  He was also my geometry teacher.  Tim's brother.  On the practice field you could be sure of two things about Coach Stoddard. 1)  Wore a NC State t-shirt. 2)  Wore a Baltimore Orioles cap.  

Had to be pre-1984 or he'd have had a Cubs hat on!

Most people know the 1971 East Chicago Washington basketball team went undefeated and won the state championship with Pete Trgovich, Junior Bridgeman, and Tim Stoddard...

All 3 played in an NCAA Final 4...Trgovich (UCLA) 73 (W) , 74 (L), 75 (W), Stoddard (NC St) 74 (W), and Bridgeman (Louisville) 75 (L). 

Trgovich's Bruins beat Bridgeman's Cardinals in the 75 semis because a guy named Terry Howard, who hadn't missed a FT all year (28-28) went to the line for a 1 and 1 with 20 seconds to go and Louisville clinging to a 1 point lead. This was before the 3 point line, so if he hit both it was a 2 possession game. He missed the front end, and UCLA won on a Richard Washington jumper with 2 seconds left...

If Louisville had won, and went on to defeat Kentucky in the final, all 3 of those kids from EC Washington would have had an NCAA title...

Of course, if those goons from Purdue hadn't broken Scott May's arm, it would have rendered all of the above moot...

Tonight we exact revenge for Scottie's arm...

57 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Most people know the 1971 East Chicago Washington basketball team went undefeated and won the state championship with Pete Trgovich, Junior Bridgeman, and Tim Stoddard...

All 3 played in an NCAA Final 4...Trgovich (UCLA) 73 (W) , 74 (L), 75 (W), Stoddard (NC St) 74 (W), and Bridgeman (Louisville) 75 (L). 

Trgovich's Bruins beat Bridgeman's Cardinals in the 75 semis because a guy named Terry Howard, who hadn't missed a FT all year (28-28) went to the line for a 1 and 1 with 20 seconds to go and Louisville clinging to a 1 point lead. This was before the 3 point line, so if he hit both it was a 2 possession game. He missed the front end, and UCLA won on a Richard Washington jumper with 2 seconds left...

If Louisville had won, and went on to defeat Kentucky in the final, all 3 of those kids from EC Washington would have had an NCAA title...

Of course, if those goons from Purdue hadn't broken Scott May's arm, it would have rendered all of the above moot...

Tonight we exact revenge for Scottie's arm...

Perhaps the greatest Indiana High School team of all time ?  Next to Milan, of course. One team with studs.Who went on to become professional stars. The other with kids filled with Hearts of Hoosiers, and a last second shot that shocked the world by Plump. 

On 2/27/2020 at 4:48 AM, rico said:

That '74 season gets lost.  Grasp this young IU fans...we finished #9 in the polls and didn't make the NCAAT.  LOL

Because there was only one Big Ten team let into the tournament back then. Because we lost a playoff game to Michigan. Because we blew a 17 point lead in Ann Arbor in midseason. The '74 team coulda gone deep into the tourney. Coulda woulda shoulda.

Archived