ESPN and IU Bias

IUFLA

6 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Anytime anyone compares Coach Miller to Coach Knight..... it should be considered a compliment.   Stupid ESPN.  I quit watching them long ago, except for some college BB games I might be interested in.

Same here Mile....Just like back in the day.....MTV was good when it was just MTV music videos. Now it's a hot mess.....just a non-sports related memory floating around in my head...that's all I got. 😵

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

Probably an attempt by ESPN to shore up ratings. Just as they did a few years back when they produced "The last days of Bobby Knight. "

Does anyone else remember last year's BIG/ACC challenge game at Duke? The entire broadcast was a promotion of the Bobby Knight documentary and how cool Coach K is. "Coach K doesn't yell anymore. He just says 'Yo!' over and over!"

19 minutes ago, GoshenFan84 said:

Does anyone else remember last year's BIG/ACC challenge game at Duke? The entire broadcast was a promotion of the Bobby Knight documentary and how cool Coach K is. "Coach K doesn't yell anymore. He just says 'Yo!' over and over!"

I remember this...wanted to punch the TV

31 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

man if these people think what Archie did the other day is bad then I would love to see their reaction to big ten coaches in the 80's.  Coaches like RMK, Jud Heathcoate,  Keady,  who I remember throwing his jacket numerous times.

Speaking of Gene Keady.....This who I always thought of when I would see Gene's angry face....

Image result for phantom of the opera monster

Image result for gene keady face

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Anytime anyone compares Coach Miller to Coach Knight..... it should be considered a compliment.   Stupid ESPN.  I quit watching them long ago, except for some college BB games I might be interested in.

You and many others.  ESPN owns the ACC and SEC networks.  Their main products are ACC basketball (especially Duke and UNC) and SEC football (especially Bama, Georgia, Florida).  There is an obvious bias to promote and protect their business interests.   The B1G and Fox Sports are a business competitor.   

There's nothing wrong with promoting your business, but don't act like you are an impartial observer. Most have wised up to this reality, and no longer buy into their act of neutrality.  How ESPN is allowed to own one of the polls and create an anticompetitive advantage through influential "analysis" and commentary is baffling to me.

12 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

They're going to have to lock down the clipboards now.....

I wondered if, when CAM punched the clipboard out of Ostrom's hands, he looked at him like Bluto in "Animal House" after he grabbed the guitar from the guy on the frat house stairs (sidenote: that was Stephen Bishop of  the song "On and On" fame) and said,

"Sorry."

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

ESPN equates Archie's clipboard punch to RMK throwing a chair

Maybe I'm a little overly sensitive here, but these two emotional reactions aren't even close to each other...

I've always thought ESPN and the press have tried to portray IU in the worst light possible...

Maybe still chaffing at being compared to "ladies of the night?"

What's humorous, watching the videos, is how measured both RMK and Archie are when they did this. Archie pauses and takes aim, so he doesn't clock Ostrom. RMK clearly aims the chair before tossing it. Obviously neither were wild reactions. They both paused a second and thought about it before they did it.

16 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

What's humorous, watching the videos, is how measured both RMK and Archie are when they did this. Archie pauses and takes aim, so he doesn't clock Ostrom. RMK clearly aims the chair before tossing it. Obviously neither were wild reactions. They both paused a second and thought about it before they did it.

Fact.

I don't think there is an anti IU bias.  It's more of a pro Duke and to a lesser degree UNC bias.  Let's face it.  If Zion had gone to Clemson like everyone originally thought, he would not have been hyped 1/100th to the degree he was.  

If Duke were to do something so illegal that they got the Death Penalty,  it would not surprise me if ESPN dropped college basketball all-together.  We would be watching Saturday afternoon lumberjack competitions instead.

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I don't think there is an anti IU bias.  It's more of a pro Duke and to a lesser degree UNC bias.  Let's face it.  If Zion had gone to Clemson like everyone originally thought, he would not have been hyped 1/100th to the degree he was.  

If Duke were to do something so illegal that they got the Death Penalty,  it would not surprise me if ESPN dropped college basketball all-together.  We would be watching Saturday afternoon lumberjack competitions instead.

But, but , but ESPN has Dakich.  He brings some balance.  LOL

7 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I agree with you on espn. Other than games I want to see, I bet I haven’t watched a program on it in at least 5 or 6 years! 

28 minutes ago, Hoosrnight said:

I agree with you on espn. Other than games I want to see, I bet I haven’t watched a program on it in at least 5 or 6 years! 

The last real show, I watched on a fairly regular basis was Mike & Mike in the Morning.  Now, I realize many didn't care for one or both of the Mike's.  However, I found it entertaining. Loved the off the wall competitions they occasionally engaged in.  Laughed my head off  when it came to Big Dance time, and the both of them professed to know all about college basketball. After basically not ever talking about college basketball for an entire year, until then.

Hey.  You have been a part of HSN 3 since our inception.  Thanks for being a part of our forum.

5 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

The last real show, I watched on a fairly regular basis was Mike & Mike in the Morning.  Now, I realize many didn't care for one or both of the Mike's.  However, I found it entertaining. Loved the off the wall competitions they occasionally engaged in.  Laughed my head of  when it came to Big Dance time, and the both of them professed to know all about college basketball. After basically not ever talking about college basketball for an entire year, until then.

Hey.  You have been a part of HSN 3 since our inception.  Thanks for being a part of our forum.

I’ve been here through the other iterations as well. I’m an HSN lifer. This is the only IU board I visit. Have always liked it here. I haven’t posted much on any of the HSN iterations, but y’all still always treat me well. That I appreciate!

3 minutes ago, Hoosrnight said:

I’ve been here through the other iterations as well. I’m an HSN lifer. This is the only IU board I visit. Have always liked it hear. I haven’t posted much on any of the HSN iterations, but y’all still always treat me well. That I appreciate!

HSN 0.1.  We grew to something like 8k members, in just 18 months. Other IU boards took notice of our phenomenal growth. To the point that two reached out to us to merger HSN with their sites.  A lot of debate among moderators and CC as to what to do. We chose to merge with CBS/247 due to the fact that they could provide content we were not in a position to provide. In spite of the fact that much of their content was pay per read.  I have to say it was a good relationship. And I was able to establish relationships with national writers that I still enjoy today.  Then.... out of the blue.  CBS/247 informed CC that they would not be renewing their contract with HSN 2.0, once it was to expire.  Asked them for a reason why. And all we got was they chose to go in another direction.  Only to find out that they were stealing Mike Peagram from Rivals. 

So what to do  ? What to do ?  And the decision was made prior to CBS/247 pulling the plug on us... to leave and establish HSN 3.0.  We are not as big as when we were HSN 1.0. Don't have the depth or breath of national writers when we were HSN 2.0. But we do have great contributors, like TDH and others.... who share their content with us.... FREE OF CHARGE.

Again.  Thanks for being a member. And following us all of these years.

5 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I would watch ESPN more if it was more like ESPN 8 “the Ocho”.

Bring back worlds strongest man, lumberjack games, bowling, and poker with my new favorite of championship cornhole and I would watch it all the time.

Archived