Indiana University vs Duke basketball discussion thread

milehiiu

15 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Portland State hung with Duke for 30 minutes.  Why couldn't IU's talent combined with Assembly Hall make it a competitive game for 40?

Exactly. Duke is a lot better than us, nobody would argue that. But we have a puncher's chance, especially at home.

In the famous words of AJ Moye: "It's not like they're the University of Jesus Christ and we're playing the twelve disciples. It's just Duke. Duke is just a name on a jersey."

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, Shooter said:

Exactly. Duke is a lot better than us, nobody would argue that. But we have a puncher's chance, especially at home.

In the famous words of AJ Moye: "It's not like they're the University of Jesus Christ and we're playing the twelve disciples. It's just Duke. Duke is just a name on a jersey."

Love that quote, but I'd disagree based on my limited knowledge of the disciples. There's no evidence they had any significant height and while they were good Jewish boys, I don't recall reading that any of them were lock-down defenders, had a sweet shooting stroke or could dribble the ball effectively under pressure. Meanwhile, there's plenty of evidence they were cowards who scattered like roaches during crunch time.

Now if you gave Peter a sword, he could be a very effective defender and  I will give Judas credit for being ahead of the game when it came to pay for play.

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

Love that quote, but I'd disagree based on my limited knowledge of the disciples. There's no evidence they had any significant height and while they were good Jewish boys, I don't recall reading that any of them were lock-down defenders, had a sweet shooting stroke or could dribble the ball effectively under pressure. Meanwhile, there's plenty of evidence they were cowards who scattered like roaches during crunch time.

Now if you gave Peter a sword, he could be a very effective defender and  I will give Judas credit for being ahead of the game when it came to pay for play.

Don't be such a Doubting Thomas. 

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

Well, one thing is for sure.  Not a one of them, ever stole a basketball.  Or a pair of sunglasses, as well.  LOL

4 hours ago, Shooter said:

Not being negative but who on our team has that AJ Moye spirit.  I do feel we will be in the game and will give ourselves a chance . Don't underestimate the impact AH can have in a group of Freshmen.  I hope we can get in the head of the mad tripper he is a ticking time bomb 

Duke is the best offense in the country.  We're a terrible D1 defense (in the 200's).  If we can stop their initial offense and/or Duke is cold, we have to worry about their offensive rebounding which is the best in the country.  In fact their OR % is the only thing that is really elite about their offense at this time.  I just don't think our defense is at a point that we can stay in the game enough to win it.

Our offense is very good.  We're not too far from elite.  If Davis can stay out of foul trouble, the offense will improve significantly.

5 hours ago, Shooter said:

I love AJ!

8 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I hope. we need a few of those guys 

I have been very impressed with Al.  Always under control.  And if you look at his game demeanor, he seems always to be into the game.  Albeit on a decided low level.  Just the direct opposite of Thomas Bryant, who showed his spirit on his shoulders.  Not saying either is right or wrong.  Just love their intensity for the game.... regardless of how they go about showing it. 

19 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I have been very impressed with Al.  Always under control.  And if you look at his game demeanor, he seems always to be into the game.  Albeit on a decided low level.  Just the direct opposite of Thomas Bryant, who showed his spirit on his shoulders.  Not saying either is right or wrong.  Just love their intensity for the game.... regardless of how they go about showing it. 

Not trying to rail on Bryant, but he wore his negative emotions on his sleave too and it hurt us often times last year. People took about his personality and emotions the same way they do Vic, but I don't recall ever thinking Vic was hurting the team. 

8 hours ago, Shooter said:

Side note: Maybe my first and favorite memory of IU hoops was Moye's block on Boozer in the tournament. I was a kid at the time and I remember rolling around on the ground with excitement. I think that one play is probably at least partially responsible for my fandom today(along with about a thousand other things).

3 hours ago, madmax said:

Side note: Maybe my first and favorite memory of IU hoops was Moye's block on Boozer in the tournament. I was a kid at the time and I remember rolling around on the ground with excitement. I think that one play is probably at least partially responsible for my fandom today(along with about a thousand other things).

Aj moye block on boozer - YouTube

AJ Moye! - YouTube

Just watched the Duke game and I'm honestly in good spirits about our game. These Freshman look tired and sloppy these last couple games and Bagley is the only one keeping them in it. If we keep him off the boards and can score on their length I think we could definitely shock the country Wednesday night. 

20 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Duke has shown a tendency to get down in games. Unfortunately, they have also shown a tendency to come back!

I think we have to go to Davis early and often and hope we get a few home court calls that keep Bagley on the bench.

Unfortunately, I don’t think De’Ron is going to be on the court much against Duke.  Having watched them play last night, I’ll be pretty surprised if he doesn’t pick up 2 fouls in the first couple minutes.

Archived